Intermittent fasting!

Options
Hey everyone just started IF. If you have been doing it or have any thoughts please drop me a line with what you are doing and how well it’s going. Thanks !!! Add me as friend too !!! Cheers !!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I IF 16:8 but not intentionally. Started Keto for medical issues and appetite upon waking disappeared (have no idea why this is... Just happened).

I don't know if there's any real benefit for me, it is just skipping breakfast. I still eat traditional breakfast foods, just around 1-3 PM instead of in early AM. And I still get all of my required calories in.

• EllyhBelly
    EllyhBelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am sort of fasting ... I thought I would eat very little for 5 days to kick off the dieting long-term. Yesterday I had one apple (and lots of water) the day before 1 carrot and two celery sticks. Today I felt a bit anxious so have had a very small portion of fruit salad and cream for breakfast ... I might also have some more celery for lunch??? I will see how I feel.

How are you doing it?

Mine is very unscientific. Elly
  • EllyhBelly
    Options
    I don't know how to add friends ... am very new to the site.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    EllyhBelly wrote: »
    I am sort of fasting ... I thought I would eat very little for 5 days to kick off the dieting long-term. Yesterday I had one apple (and lots of water) the day before 1 carrot and two celery sticks. Today I felt a bit anxious so have had a very small portion of fruit salad and cream for breakfast ... I might also have some more celery for lunch??? I will see how I feel.

How are you doing it?

Mine is very unscientific. Elly

Intermittent fasting is a little different than a traditional fast.

It's usually a daily eating window. Most common is 16:8, 16 hours no food, then 8 hours to eat.

Some do 20:4 or 18:6.

I thought the same thing when I kept seeing the word fasting on all the diet and health forums/blogs... My mind went to like biblical style fasting... Looked it up, realized it's a daily fast, and that I was already doing it.
  • afteresa
    afteresa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been IF 16:8 for almost 2 years. I only eat from 12pm to 8pm and it's worked amazing, really helped me lean out. I do drink coffee with sweetner in the fasting AM and water, but otherwise thats it. I started really strict with the IF, but now will seldomly break my fast for social reasons. It's actually really easy and helped me completely cut out bad late night junk food cravings. Feel free to shoot a message if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • dylanblakeley
    dylanblakeley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it (mainly eating between noon-8PM), combined with a keto diet, for the past 2-3 months. It's worked great for me, but I think its main benefit has been helping to limit calories for the day (i.e. I don't end up "adding" more for lunch or dinner as a result).
  • EllyhBelly
    Options
    Thanks Emma - I am doing mainly just a tiny breakfast if anything at all, then nothing for the rest of the day ... but I do have quite a headache now.

I was going to do five days ... but I will see. I can see it is not intermittent fasting at all that I am doing!

I really just wanted to kickstart a big change. I used to be slim but a new (feeder - in a nice way) boyfriend and horrible stress at work, led to no exercise and eating wayyyy too much. I need to lose at least 1 stone to be able to fit into anything I own and I am sick of having zips that stop quarter or half way up (and still dig in!!). It looks ridiculous and I feel ridiculous - it is my first time really dieting, I hope it doesn't take too long to lose a stone. Then I will try to start exercising properly.
  • beemerguy01
    beemerguy01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I didn’t get any notifications so just replying now. Add me as a friend.

I’m doing the warrior 20:4 and it’s going well so far. Little tough at the start but if you look at what I just ate after fasting 20 hours and working out you’ll see I was hungry !!!! Lol

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    EllyhBelly wrote: »
    Thanks Emma - I am doing mainly just a tiny breakfast if anything at all, then nothing for the rest of the day ... but I do have quite a headache now.

I was going to do five days ... but I will see. I can see it is not intermittent fasting at all that I am doing!

I really just wanted to kickstart a big change. I used to be slim but a new (feeder - in a nice way) boyfriend and horrible stress at work, led to no exercise and eating wayyyy too much. I need to lose at least 1 stone to be able to fit into anything I own and I am sick of having zips that stop quarter or half way up (and still dig in!!). It looks ridiculous and I feel ridiculous - it is my first time really dieting, I hope it doesn't take too long to lose a stone. Then I will try to start exercising properly.

1/2 pound a week is healthy weight loss. Healthy weight loss means higher fat loss as opposed to lean muscle loss.

So 1 stone is going to take a few months (at least) if you want to do it in a safe & healthy manner.

Your plan isn't one for a few months, it's one for a few days. What do you hope to accomplish is a few days? There is no jumpstart. Instead, make a plan to eat better and move more for a lifetime.

Very low calorie days can be used intermittently with maintenance days..........https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

Strict dieting 2 days a week (and maintenance the other 5) can help you lose weight. Log your on days as well as your off days.

OR create a smaller eating window to reduce your calories to a REASONABLE amount every day: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

When you put your weekly weight loss goal into My Fitness Pal you will get a minimum of 1200 calories. That's appropriate for petite, inactive and/or elderly women OR it's the nutritional minimum for women that want fast weight loss. In other words.....eat at least 1200 calorie (before exercise).

• EllyhBelly
    Options
    Thanks Emma - I don't know why I wanted to do the fast but I sort of did ... I have been water only for the last two days. I feel ok but I think I will break it on Monday (back to work on Tuesday) and then I will definitely follow a slow and steady plan of 1200 calories (I hope!!).

I do feel like I very much want to lose this excess weight so I hope that will be motivation enough. It would be nice trying to start to get fit too ... I can't really afford a gym membership but have seen some good yoga videos on YouTube so will try do those before work! Or at least on the weekends.

Thank you very much for the links. I will read them now...
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @EllyhBelly

Lol, second comment wasn't mine... But I agree with TeaBea, 1200 is a little aggressive.

I try to start at the most calories I can get away with eating and still lose weight. If I lose quick, I up my calories even more.

I started at eating 1410, was losing very quickly. I upped my intake goal to eating 1680 daily to try and slow down my weight-loss. I'm happy if my calories fall anywhere between 1450-1700.

In my opinion, weight-loss should be taken slowly, should be simple small changes that are doable for the long term. Getting healthy should be enjoyable, not hard, not stressful. When I lose weight, I never ever feel like I'm starving or missing out on anything!

I stay satisfied, eat when hungry, drink when thirsty. Eat meals very slow, until just satisfied, never stuffed.

Good luck, you can do it!

• EllyhBelly
    Options
    @Emmapatterson1729
    Thanks Emma - I realise now that was from TeaBea. I am getting used to the site slowly!!

My calorie count is still a bit low but that is because I think they advise breaking a fast gently, incrementally ... so I had three small meals today (I broke my fast a day early because it just felt like I had done enough).

It is kinda tricky aswell working out the calories. I don't weigh anything when I cook - so I made a veg stock and used a bit of it for a chilled pea and chive soup - with a dollop of natural yoghurt ... calories???? Not really sure overall. So I may be underestimating it.

The site does flip up a warning that my calories are too low but I will get there ... I was overeating for so long - more than a year really courtesy of my lovely boyfriend who loves to prepare the meals - it is kinda a relief to get a hold on it.
  • peachezncreme
    peachezncreme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’ve been doing IF for a month now, just 2 days a week. I’ve lost 12 lbs. the first day was tough, but it’s been easy ever since. I plan to start 20:4 (5 days per week) on Monday. I could also use another fasting friend. Feel free to add me.
  • ChickenBags
    ChickenBags Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome I’m starting back on it myself. I lost 8 stone on it last time.!
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Been on 5:2 fasting for almost four weeks. Down over 8lbs, nice to be able to have a few more calories during the five days I'm not fasting, energy levels holding up. Actually found that fasting days make it easier to stand extreme heat (I work on a loading dock in Arizona) and not sure if that is the empty stomach or the extra water I'm drinking. Either way, IF seems to work for me.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here's a link to one of our big social groups for people doing intermittent fasting:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting