Supplements

Options
I couldn’t find a thread dedicated to supplements so I thought I would start one. If there is one please let me know.

What I want to know is what supplements people are taking and why. If we could break it down that would be great.

1. Goals
2. Must have supplements
3. Good to have supplements
4. Waste of time supplements.

No doubt there will be fissagreements but you are all entitled to spend your hard earned cash on what you think works for you and are entitled to your opinion.

I tend to find that with a reasoned argument people tend to pay more attention. I will start below.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I couldn’t find a thread dedicated to supplements so I thought I would start one. If there is one please let me know.

What I want to know is what supplements people are taking and why. If we could break it down that would be great.

1. Goals
    2. Must have supplements
    3. Good to have supplements
    4. Waste of time supplements.

No doubt there will be fissagreements but you are all entitled to spend your hard earned cash on what you think works for you and are entitled to your opinion.

I tend to find that with a reasoned argument people tend to pay more attention. I will start below.

You didn't look hard enough.

I supplement with protein powder when my protein is too low. That's it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    sb7q1wwlryw2.jpg

Didn’t follow format so I know nothing about you or your goals. But that is not that important.

Mount an argument for it.

What does "that" refer to?
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sb7q1wwlryw2.jpg

Didn’t follow format so I know nothing about you or your goals. But that is not that important.

Post 4
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I take fiberwell gummies for fiber.
    Each one is supposed to be 5g of fiber, but the more I chew then the less fiber each one accounts for. Why is that?

6 fiber gummies breaks down into 23g of fiber.

What am I missing?
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    sb7q1wwlryw2.jpg

Post 4

The entire pyramid? Not some specific element of it? I'm not sure I understand what saying the entire pyramid is "not that important" means. Are you saying that you disagree that calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients are more important to nutrition than meal time and supplements?
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    sb7q1wwlryw2.jpg

It applies to everyone, no matter what their status or goals are. (And have a good time getting everyone on this site to "follow format".)
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Goals: functional health, avoiding chronic health issues, maintaining a weight that doesn't interfere with the first two goals.
    Must-have supplements: D3, which my doctor has advised me to take to address a deficiency discovered through blood work.
    Good to have supplements: I have protein powder that I use occasionally to boost protein on a day when I'm not meeting my protein goal. I have B12-fortified nutritional yeast that I use occasionally at times when I happen not to be eating any animal products, or just because I like it. I consider the latter more just "food" than a supplement.
    Waste of time supplements: For me, pretty much anything else, unless blood work turns up some other deficiency.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I hate my life when my anemia is untreated, so iron is at the top of my list.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of intolerances which limits my eating choices somewhat. I have hemp protein powder, hemp seeds, marine collagen. Medically I have to have iron and b12. I also LOVE No Way bars but they aren’t required. I just love them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Goal: 47 year old male looking to improve health markers and recomp body. 103kg about 20 percent BF, currently 109 kg and 28 percent BF. I still play sport (Masters AFL) and I want to be a beast on the field.

Must Haves: Magnesium, MCT’s (keto diet), a greens supplement, Adrenal switch, a general multi and Life Cykle mushroom extracts. Best quality food I can afford.

Nice to Haves: thinking about a desiccated liver tablet as no one in my house will eat liver with me. CBD products look interesting and I want a hormonal panel done and maybe TRT or HRT.

Waste of Time: Not sure I can put anything in here as people have different goals and needs, but are interested in other people’s decisions.

Cheers.

I despised the beef liver my mom used to make us growing up and always feed it to the dog when my mom stepped out of the dining room.

Because of my anemia, I do want to eat more iron rich foods, and liver tops the list of good heme sources of iron. I like liverwurst, but it's quite high in fat and I'd prefer something higher in protein.

I've started making chicken liver pate recently, and while I don't like the taste as much as liverwurst, it's edible. (This may sounds like dubious praise, but considering I am a hater, it's actually high praise.)

The recipe called for a half stick of butter; I used a non-stick pan and reduced the butter to 21 g. 2 oz has 101 calories and 24% of my RDA of iron. It didn't end up being higher in protein, but as it has considerably less fat than my liverwurst, it also has less calories.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012954-creamy-chicken-liver-pate
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Goals: keep my vision as long as possible, get at least some sleep, improve doctor identified deficiencies

Must haves: AREDS2 vitamins for macular degeneration, melatonin, fish oil, vitamin D, vitamin B-12, CBD oil gummies (almost completely eliminates nightmares)

Nice to have: protein powders

Waste of time (for me): every supplement I tried for hot flashes - probably all of them over the past 8 years - only HRT works
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Boldknee I to have wasted money over the years on supplements. One if the reasons for this topic.

Allot of vitamin D for me being in a sunny part of Australia with a convertible as an everyday car. Vitamin D is the least of my concerns.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Goal: 47 year old male looking to improve health markers and recomp body. 103kg about 20 percent BF, currently 109 kg and 28 percent BF. I still play sport (Masters AFL) and I want to be a beast on the field.

Must Haves: Magnesium, MCT’s (keto diet), a greens supplement, Adrenal switch, a general multi and Life Cykle mushroom extracts. Best quality food I can afford.

Nice to Haves: thinking about a desiccated liver tablet as no one in my house will eat liver with me. CBD products look interesting and I want a hormonal panel done and maybe TRT or HRT.

Waste of Time: Not sure I can put anything in here as people have different goals and needs, but are interested in other people’s decisions.

Cheers.

I despised the beef liver my mom used to make us growing up and always feed it to the dog when my mom stepped out of the dining room.

Because of my anemia, I do want to eat more iron rich foods, and liver tops the list of good heme sources of iron. I like liverwurst, but it's quite high in fat and I'd prefer something higher in protein.

I've started making chicken liver pate recently, and while I don't like the taste as much as liverwurst, it's edible. (This may sounds like dubious praise, but considering I am a hater, it's actually high praise.)

The recipe called for a half stick of butter; I used a non-stick pan and reduced the butter to 21 g. 2 oz has 101 calories and 24% of my RDA of iron. It didn't end up being higher in protein, but as it has considerably less fat than my liverwurst, it also has less calories.

We all love liver. This is how my mom made it. Caramelize onions. Cook liver until almost/barely done. She ground both liver and onions in a meat grinder, but how about a food processor. Put in a loaf pan, cover with bacon. Bake til bacon is done. We ate it like liverwurst.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cheers.

We all love liver. This is how my mom made it. Caramelize onions. Cook liver until almost/barely done. She ground both liver and onions in a meat grinder, but how about a food processor. Put in a loaf pan, cover with bacon. Bake til bacon is done. We ate it like liverwurst.

Sounds good, but like a lot of work when I can buy liverwurst. (I do cook liver with caramelized onions, but then I just eat it.) But you've inspired me to grill some onions to add to my next liverwurst sandwich.