Eating More Calories

Options
So I started using MFP in January, eating the classic 1200 to 1300 calories for the most part. I started out weighing about 132 and am now at 125... not only did I lose weight but I’ve also lost my period, which not gonna lie, has been super nice lol but I’m finally facing the fact that I’m obviously malnourished. So a week ago I started eating more, around 1500 to 1800 cal. And I never thought eating more would be so difficult, I feel too full and look bloated all day. Any tips on how to help this? Will my stomach adjust with time and feel like it normally would? I expect to gain weight back then I plan on losing it in a more stable and healthy way once my metabolism has healed. So any tips, advice and encouragement would be very helpful. :)

Replies

• imperfectcadence26
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    So I started using MFP in January, eating the classic 1200 to 1300 calories for the most part. I started out weighing about 132 and am now at 125... not only did I lose weight but I’ve also lost my period, which not gonna lie, has been super nice lol but I’m finally facing the fact that I’m obviously malnourished. So a week ago I started eating more, around 1500 to 1800 cal. And I never thought eating more would be so difficult, I feel too full and look bloated all day. Any tips on how to help this? Will my stomach adjust with time and feel like it normally would? I expect to gain weight back then I plan on losing it in a more stable and healthy way once my metabolism has healed. So any tips, advice and encouragement would be very helpful. :)

Am I reading this correctly - you've lost 7 lbs in 7 months eating 1300/day maximum?
    Something doesn't add up 🤔 What is your age, height and activity level?
    I would have thought that most people would lose more than that eating at 1300 for 7 months.
    Are you weighing all your solids and measuring all your liquids? Because, to me, it sounds like you could be eating more than you think, hence why you might be struggling to eat 1500-1800/day. Simply because you're eating more than you realise.
    As for your periods stopping, how long has that been? A 7 lbs drop over such a length of time shouldn't really cause that to happen at 125lbs.
    Your metabolism doesn't need to heal. It's not sick.

I’m 19 years old, 5’3” and I dance in my spare time, my job has me on my feet all day, and I recently started running once in a while so I’m fairly active. I probably should have mentioned that I reached 125 lbs in April, and since then it hasn’t changed much. And how much I ate depended on my activity level that day, 1300 cal was like my base goal, then if I burn more I’d eat more too. A month or so ago I did try eating more to get my period back but I started gaining so I went back down to around 1300 cal. again which I’m now regretting.
  • imperfectcadence26
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Am I reading this correctly - you've lost 7 lbs in 7 months eating 1300/day maximum?
    I would have thought that most people would lose more than that eating at 1300 for 7 months.
    Are you weighing all your solids and measuring all your liquids? Because, to me, it sounds like you could be eating more than you think, hence why you might be struggling to eat 1500-1800/day. Simply because you're eating more than you realise.
    As for your periods stopping, how long has that been? A 7 lbs drop over such a length of time shouldn't really cause that to happen at 125lbs.

I’m 19 years old, 5’3” and I dance in my spare time, my job has me on my feet all day, and I recently started running once in a while so I’m fairly active. I probably should have mentioned that I reached 125 lbs in April, and since then it hasn’t changed much. And how much I ate depended on my activity level that day, 1300 cal was like my base goal, then if I burn more I’d eat more too. A month or so ago I did try eating more to get my period back but I started gaining so I went back down to around 1300 cal. again which I’m now regretting.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the lack of periods?

No, I don’t actually have a family doctor, I’ve literally only been to one once when I had a concussion, but that’s another story.
    But yeah I’m not to worried about it, I’ve been doing research and I’m pretty sure it’ll be back once my body is used to more cal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

No, I don’t actually have a family doctor, I’ve literally only been to one once when I had a concussion, but that’s another story.
    But yeah I’m not to worried about it, I’ve been doing research and I’m pretty sure it’ll be back once my body is used to more cal.

Since you didn't lose weight drastically and have been more or less maintaining, the issue doesn't sound like lack of calories.

I agree with the recommendations to see a GYN.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

Since your weight puts you in the normal range for your height, also consider that loss of period can be caused by low body fat or hormonal issues. I agree with the others that you should really see a doctor. A general check up would be good for you anyway since you have only ever seen one for an injury. The internet is not a replacement for an actual in-person visit to a qualified professional.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you need to go see a doc. a 7 pound weight loss with your stats should not result in the loss of a period.

you can also eat more than you are.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

1300 calories isn't enough "more calories" for an active, 5'3" 19-year-old to expect to regain her period. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to happen, but the odds are not favorable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

1300 calories isn't enough "more calories" for an active, 5'3" 19-year-old to expect to regain her period. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to happen, but the odds are not favorable.

I agree with this statement in general, but if you review the posts by the posters that did the math, it is unlikely that she was actually eating 1300 calories, as she would have lost more than 7 pounds in 7 months.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options

I'd encourage you to make an appointment with an ob/gyn anyway, if you are 19 and haven't yet. Your reproductive health might not be forefront in your mind right now, but someday it could become very important to you :smile:

Ditto ^^^^^^

There are too many things that can go wrong with reproductive organs
    Get yourself to a doctor, and I don't mean Dr Google.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I agree with this statement in general, but if you review the posts by the posters that did the math, it is unlikely that she was actually eating 1300 calories, as she would have lost more than 7 pounds in 7 months.

Thanks. I was distracted by actual work (even though it was a day off for me) and had lost track of the earlier quantitative information. However, reading back, it sounds like the weight loss was from January to April and since then "hasn't changed much." I agree that the reported calorie counting data doesn't square up with the reported scale results.

In any case, I still think that if OP thinks the loss of her period is related to calorie intake and/or BF%, depending on eating 1300 or even 1800 to fix the problem as her body "is use to more cal" is no guaranteed fix, and the suggestion from pinuplove of speaking to a doctor is a good one. And if OP is actually eating significantly more than reported, it suggests she could be wrong about the cause of the loss of the period, and speaking to a doctor is an even better idea.
  • katechris65
    katechris65 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Just speaking from personal experience, I lost my period when I tried the keto diet a few years back. It literally came back after eating a sub.
    Everyone is different but if you aren't getting a whole lot of carbs, it won't hurt to increase the intake.
    While you wait for that dr appointment, of course ! 😉