Breakfast: Chia Pudding

Options
I've been doing this chia pudding for breakfast in the A.M. and really enjoy it! Its low calorie and fills you up and good for on the go. You can add any sweeteners such as honey or agave or fruits you want. My favorite is
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 TBSP of chia seeds
- 1/2 Bananna
- tsp of Cinnamon
- Mix and set in fridge overnight

Replies

• livefreely12
    livefreely12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Lately, I've been making overnight oats for breakfast. It would be nice to change it up with something new. :)
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like chia pudding, and I dig the protein and fiber content, but I don't think it's super low-cal. Isn't it somewhere in the 150-200 calories a tablespoon range for the chia seeds?
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oops, my bad. Just looked- mine says 180 calories per 1/4 cup of seeds. Carry on. Lol.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Fills YOU up.
    Low calories for YOU.

Also, how many calories you think are in what you are eating?

I'd say about 225 for the seeds, 30 for the unsweetened almond milk if it's the supermarket kind that's basically flavored water and not the kind that has almonds actually in it, and maybe 50 for half a banana, depending on the size. So 305 cal, roughly.

Low protein and volume, but high fiber. Wouldn't work for me, probably, but I can see it working for people.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Fills YOU up.
    Low calories for YOU.

I'd say about 225 for the seeds, 30 for the unsweetened almond milk if it's the supermarket kind that's basically flavored water and not the kind that has almonds actually in it, and maybe 50 for half a banana, depending on the size. So 305 cal, roughly.

Low protein and volume, but high fiber. Wouldn't work for me, probably, but I can see it working for people.

Yeah somewhere between 300-350 calories, before adding honey, fruit, or sweeteners. So i wouldn't call it a low cal breakfast necessarily. 2 large eggs and toast or fruit is less cal.

But if OP likes it and it helps her keep it within her calorie goal, then it is a good fit for her. I just don't think it should necessarily be advertised as "low cal".
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Delicious made with coconut/almond milk blend, dash agave and toasted coconut chips on top with a raspberry in a large “shot” glass and tiny silver plastic spoons for a lovely presentation. Bad grammar, but you get the idea.

I eat .5 tbsp every day mixed into something.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup almond milk to 2 Tbsp chia seeds for my desired texture. My standard is to add stevia and cinnamon, which tastes rather like rice pudding.

I have also made it with 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, which was delish!

I add berries to make it a breakfast.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Chia is pretty high cal to fill me up. I prefer porridge. Need half the amount and I’m full for many more hours
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have just tried chia pudding. It’s satisfying and has that nice, gooey quality that feels like a treat.

However, it is super “expensive” calorie-wise, so net-net, am a bit disappointed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Fills YOU up.
    Low calories for YOU.

Yeah somewhere between 300-350 calories, before adding honey, fruit, or sweeteners. So i wouldn't call it a low cal breakfast necessarily. 2 large eggs and toast or fruit is less cal.

But if OP likes it and it helps her keep it within her calorie goal, then it is a good fit for her. I just don't think it should necessarily be advertised as "low cal".

It's also fairly low protein.