Pan Seared Sea Bass with Roasted Tomatoes

Options
ScottInTheOC
ScottInTheOC Posts: 13 Member
I lived this dish!

For the full posting and pictures, visit:
http://www.foodieindisguise.com/2011/07/23/dinner-disguise-sea-bass-roasted/

I was at the Farmers’ Market in Laguna Hills yesterday and picked up a few things. Of those, one was a nice piece of Sea Bass from the fish purveyor and then some herbs and tomatoes. Today it was used to make dinner.

First I took some Yellow Grape Tomatoes and some Red Cherry Tomatoes and placed them on a baking sheet with some parchment paper. Next I drizzled some Olive Oil on it and sprinkled some Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Then I placed in a pre-heated oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes (maybe less…)

While those were in the over, I took my sea bass and patted it dry with some paper towels. Make sure you draw out as much moisture you can from it. Don’t press down hard and flatten the fish, just make sure it is dry on the outside. If you don’t dry the outside, you will not be able to get a good sear on it. Sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on both side. Meanwhile in a skillet bring about 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil and or canola oil and make sure your stove is set to High. You want the pan to almost be smoking when you place the fish in the oil. Remember, always lay the fish away from you so you don’t splatter yourself. Once the fish is in, DON’T TOUCH IT for at least 3 minutes. Once you see some browning around the edges, take a peek and see if the bottom of the fish is seared. You want a nice golden color. If not, let it set for an additional 1 minute or two. Then flip the sea bass over and get a nice sear on that side – again about 3-4 minutes (or less). Once you have a nice crust on the bottom, take out of the pan and let rest for a minute.

While the fish is standing, take your tomatoes out. You should be able to smell them by now. Make sure the skin is wrinkly (sp) and they are soft. We’re not looking for a char here. Place the tomatoes on a plate. Hold onto that pan for another minute.

Take your fish and place on top of the bed of tomatoes. Next take the juices from the roasting pan and pour over the fish and tomatoes!

OMG, enjoy!!

Replies

• rosie38c
    rosie38c Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow that dish is right up my street :) I sometimes add a litte chorizo with the tomatoes...a little indulgent but it really works with the flaky sea bass
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Super Yummy!
  • Losingforme1986
    Options
    This sounds amazing! Will definitely try this later this week!
  • Losingforme1986
    Options
    Made this tonight for dinner. OMG! It was absolutely AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just ate lunch, but this made me hungry again! Thanks for sharing.