Cardio Calories?

Options
I just recently (when I joined MFP) started keeping track of the calories I burn during cardio (treadmill, ellipticals, etc.) It seems like when I enter the information into MFP that the calorie count is ALWAYS higher than what the machine said. Thats ok, most of the machines I use take in data like your height, weight, age, etc and use that in the math to give you a calorie count. So, I always use what the machine tells me.

However, my work gym has a fan bike (big fan as the front 'wheel', handles turn the wheel just like the pedals do giving it an elliptical feel) that doesn't let you set anything. No settings besides resistance. Im not at the point where I watch the RPMs, I just go with what feels right. Problem is, I can do 12 minutes and the counter only shows like sixty-something calories being burned.

That CAN'T be accurate? Should I stick with what the machine says or go by MFP's 'cycling' settings? Thoughts?

Replies

• DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When that sort of thing happens to me and ususally I just split the difference. Somewhere in the "middle" of what MFP and the machine says.
  • johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok.

When I use that machine do a minute with both arms and legs, a minute with just arms, and then a minute with just legs. Then its "Rinse, Wash, Repeat" continuing the cycle until I go the distance or time I want to. I get one HELLUVA sweat so I KNOW what I am doing is way more than what the machine is telling me.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    I love the Airdyne bike!!

I should wear my HRM when I use it, but I never do! I looked it up in the exercises and that piece of equipment isn't there :(

I DID find this site - It may be helpful. It lists some calories burned using the Airdyne bike......
    http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=22&ti=Indoor+exercise+machines&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
  • Hvenable311
    Options
    I have that problem too! My stationary bike last night said I burned 110 calories after 45 minutes (which seems low), but MFP says I burned 637 calories! I have no idea what to go with.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When that sort of thing happens to me and ususally I just split the difference. Somewhere in the "middle" of what MFP and the machine says.

Good idea!!

Can't wait to get a HRM!!

My machines always say I burned more than mfp says!!!!
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My machines Wednesday showed me burning just under 100 calories for 28 minutes, but MFP had me at over 600...I always go with the low number, that way I'm not overeating where I shouldn't be.
  • dospesos1
    dospesos1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There sure seems to be a big discrepancy of what the machines say and what the MFP says. I wonder if a weight has anything to do with it? Does MFP consider weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Problem is, I can do 12 minutes and the counter only shows like sixty-something calories being burned.

That CAN'T be accurate? Should I stick with what the machine says or go by MFP's 'cycling' settings? Thoughts?

Of course that calorie burn can be possible and therefore COULD be accurate. 300 cals / hr is a pretty gentle pace though for a male. In outdoor terms more a recreational use / using bike for general riding rather than exercise levels.
    Does the bike display your power output (watts)?
    Using power measurements is a far superior way to estimate your cycling calories.

MyFitnessPal does take your weight into account as the estimates are based on METS, as you lose weight (assuming that's your goal) you will see the estimates decline - your height isn't relevant.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too! My stationary bike last night said I burned 110 calories after 45 minutes (which seems low), but MFP says I burned 637 calories! I have no idea what to go with.

Unless you are an elite female cyclist pushing hard the MFP estimate is VERY, VERY high.
    Do remember that the very vague categories in MFP with no exertion level don't have any idea how hard you tried or your actual capabilities.

You haven't said how hard you were trying or how fit or how experienced a cyclist you are.
    There is a massive range of possible calorie outputs possible.
    An elite male could burn over 1,400 cals in an hour (400+ watts), someone just gently turning the pedals could burn hardly any especially as cycling is a non-weight bearing activity,
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I find the machines that have the HRM scales (and you enter your weight) more accurate. Usually the machine and my fitbit are pretty close to each other.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    My exercise bike and MFP have similar calorie burns - an hour on the bike, 24 miles, burns about 350 calories. The bike does not have a place to input weight, but I don't think it matters much for biking.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is a question from February 2012.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    dospesos1 wrote: »
    There sure seems to be a big discrepancy of what the machines say and what the MFP says. I wonder if a weight has anything to do with it? Does MFP consider weight?

Yes. If you're logged in and have your profile set up correctly with your weight, it's taken into account in the MFP estimates. (That doesn't mean I think they're always right. But they are METS-based, which is a weight-related calculation.)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Doing just the arms or legs, that calorie count seems about right. Nearly all AirBikes have Watts. My AirBike overestimates calories burned.