is 1250 right for me...I need HELP!!!!

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    well I am an ER nurse so I move around a bit at work......and I set my workout goals at 5 days a week for 30 mins??

Yeah, ER nurse is NOT sedentary!! LOL Or even close to lightly active!! HA! (My SILs are nurses, my aunts are nurses, my MIL was a nurse!! Great career btw! Nurses rock!!) I dont think that the goals of your workouts change your allowable baseline calories but the lifestyle does. What are your carbs/protein/fat percentages?

Ok, I think that I MIGHT see the problem. You aren't getting enough protein. I went through the past five days and all were well below the protein requirements. Try a whey protein isolate supplement if you are having a difficult time getting the protein you need. Even getting closer to the goal would be better. Im also assuming that you have the carbs/protein/fats set properly for whatever type of training/exercise you are currently doing. I might also suggest that you track your sugars instead of fiber. Just a thought.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    You might want to try a healthy detox (I love the fat flush plan) for a week or two to jumpstart you diet. This way you will get all the toxins and the common food allergens out of your diet and then when you add them back in and note your responses to them you may figure out that there are foods that you are consuming that are having a negative impact on your body/ weight loss goals. If your not up for that then I would also recommend getting the processed food out...eliminate the empty calories and replace them with more fresh veggies, fruits and lean proteins. Good luck :-)!
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    I was in a similar position, and upping my protein and reducing my carbs (like, between 50-100 usually, never more than 150) helped tremendously. Also, your sodium looks kinda high, you might want to try to keep that under 1500.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrion gold standard whey protein...is that not good enough??? I have been hitting around 90gm the past few weeks??
  • abby459
    I was in a similar position, and upping my protein and reducing my carbs (like, between 50-100 usually, never more than 150) helped tremendously. Also, your sodium looks kinda high, you might want to try to keep that under 1500.

I know my sodium is high, i never used to have that on there and now that I notice it, I am trying to work on keeping it lower. I am also trying to reduce my carbs...thats something that is very hard for me. I have always been a carb eater and not much of a protien eater!
  • atsteele

I know my sodium is high, i never used to have that on there and now that I notice it, I am trying to work on keeping it lower. I am also trying to reduce my carbs...thats something that is very hard for me. I have always been a carb eater and not much of a protien eater!

I hear your pain!! I have a hard time eating a lot of protein, especially when I need to most!! (eg, after a long run or multiple workouts) So I started taking Elite whey protein isolate in the mornings and it has really helped me get closer to what I need.
  • atsteele
    I use Optimum Nutrion gold standard whey protein...is that not good enough??? I have been hitting around 90gm the past few weeks??

With the addition of exercise, your protein requirements were way above 90gms per day, I noticed.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member

I hear your pain!! I have a hard time eating a lot of protein, especially when I need to most!! (eg, after a long run or multiple workouts) So I started taking Elite whey protein isolate in the mornings and it has really helped me get closer to what I need.

This was really hard for me, too! I had to ease my way into it. It was also hard for me to not think of it as being unhealthy. Now, I eat eggs/bacon (or canadian bacon)/veggies for breakfast, a strawberry protein shake, a snack of nuts, cheese, turkey, some blueberries... and then have steak or chicken and vegetables for dinner. I've never eaten so much steak in my life, haha... but I not only started losing weight again, I feel a million times better. I never eat bread/grains, and get all my carbs from fruit and veggies... and the nightly glass of wine. Fortunately, my husband also loves to grill, so now that I'm eating this way it actually saves me time in the kitchen several nights a week!
  • Your body can get used to the calorie intake and may need kind of a "shock". Every couple of weeks up your calorie intake one day to maybe around 1600 for a day. I wouldn't make it an all carb high fat jump but it won't kill you if you do. Then immediately go back to your 1250 the next day. Don't forget to change up your exercise routines and cardio cardio cardio. It sounds like you are doing great. With your loss so far you are doing just right but the little spike in your calories is going to cause your body to readjust., Make sure you are creating a deficit of calories from your RMR daily. Keep up the good work!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Here are my observations. I don't think you are eating enough. If you are on your feet all day long and working out 7 days a week, you should probably be around 2000+ calories. And no that isn't a typo.You live a very active lifestyle. I wouldn't be surprised that you burn close to 1000 calories a day between work and exercise. And if you aren't eating your exercise calories back, that means you are eating about 200 calories a day. Based on the information you provided, I used the below calculator to determine calories needs. Based on your information, you burn about 2000 calories a day without exercise. Your basal metabloic rate is around 1450 calories. This is the amount of calories you burn if you slept for 24 hours. Then add in your lifestyle total daily energy expended (TDEE) and multiply it against your BMR your TDEE ise 2006 calories (1450*1.375 [lightly active]). Then if you add the deficit of 250 (.5lbs per week since you are within your 20 lb to go) you should eat 1800 calories.

This does not include exercise. Now, there are two approaches you can take on this. You can eat back your exercise calories (on top of the 1800) or you can add it to your TDEE multiplier and eat it throughout the day (i do the second one). Since you workout 7 days a week (and you shouldn't and we will get to this) you would be considered very active. If you multiple that by your BMR (1450*1.75 - 250) you should be eating about 2300 calories. I now it seems high, but if you train like an athlete, you have to eat like one.

I would also suggest only working out 6 days a week as your body needs to have a break. Your muscles need to be able to recover and it's difficult if you aren't taking rest days. Also, how much weight training do you do? If you aren't doing any, you need to start (3 days of cardio/HIIT, 3 days of strength training is ideal).

Lets start here and then we can improve.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Somebuddy has probably mentioned this already but if you only eat 1250 you have to stop exercising to lose weight. Or if you wanna keep working out and lose weight eat about 1600 cals.

Good luck
  • abby459
    Here are my observations. I don't think you are eating enough. If you are on your feet all day long and working out 7 days a week, you should probably be around 2000+ calories. And no that isn't a typo.You live a very active lifestyle. I wouldn't be surprised that you burn close to 1000 calories a day between work and exercise. And if you aren't eating your exercise calories back, that means you are eating about 200 calories a day. Based on the information you provided, I used the below calculator to determine calories needs. Based on your information, you burn about 2000 calories a day without exercise. Your basal metabloic rate is around 1450 calories. This is the amount of calories you burn if you slept for 24 hours. Then add in your lifestyle total daily energy expended (TDEE) and multiply it against your BMR your TDEE ise 2006 calories (1450*1.375 [lightly active]). Then if you add the deficit of 250 (.5lbs per week since you are within your 20 lb to go) you should eat 1800 calories.

This does not include exercise. Now, there are two approaches you can take on this. You can eat back your exercise calories (on top of the 1800) or you can add it to your TDEE multiplier and eat it throughout the day (i do the second one). Since you workout 7 days a week (and you shouldn't and we will get to this) you would be considered very active. If you multiple that by your BMR (1450*1.75 - 250) you should be eating about 2300 calories. I now it seems high, but if you train like an athlete, you have to eat like one.

I would also suggest only working out 6 days a week as your body needs to have a break. Your muscles need to be able to recover and it's difficult if you aren't taking rest days. Also, how much weight training do you do? If you aren't doing any, you need to start (3 days of cardio/HIIT, 3 days of strength training is ideal).

Well first I should clarify and say that the only reason I am working out 7 days a week right now is because I am doing 30 Day Shred. Today is Day 18 for me. Once I finish this I will go back to my normal 5-6 days a week. And I do eat back my exercise calories so most days I eat around 1500-1600.
    Also, for those who are commenting about my protein intake....I do NOT use what MFP set my protein goal to be. They had it at around 45gm/day a little more with exercise. I changed the % from what MFP gives me. I adjusted it to 50% protein, 30%carbs and 20% fats. I was kinda guessing with this, but the amount MFP gave me was way too low. Should I adjust them differently????
  • Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I stuck to my plan and gained a pound, then increased my water intake and lost that pound plus another. It seems simplistic, but it also seems to work!
  • abby459
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I stuck to my plan and gained a pound, then increased my water intake and lost that pound plus another. It seems simplistic, but it also seems to work!

How much do you drink a day....I usually drink 10-12 glasses sometimes a little more, plus I drink a lg diet iced green tea everyday. I gave up soda (even diet soda) and coffee about a week and a half ago.
  • psuLemon

Well first I should clarify and say that the only reason I am working out 7 days a week right now is because I am doing 30 Day Shred. Today is Day 18 for me. Once I finish this I will go back to my normal 5-6 days a week. And I do eat back my exercise calories so most days I eat around 1500-1600.
    Also, for those who are commenting about my protein intake....I do NOT use what MFP set my protein goal to be. They had it at around 45gm/day a little more with exercise. I changed the % from what MFP gives me. I adjusted it to 50% protein, 30%carbs and 20% fats. I was kinda guessing with this, but the amount MFP gave me was way too low. Should I adjust them differently????

Makes sense on the workout, but either way, even with 1600, you are creating too much of a deficit. I can tell you from direct experience (myself and others I have helped) that if you are within that last 20 lbs, you really need to push the diet. The close to your goal, the more it's about diet. Keep in mind that 2300 calories contains a deficit of 250 calories, So adding another 700-800 calories to that deficit is too large (as it's a 1000 calories deficit which only works for those who have 50 lbs + to lose). And since you are doing the 30DS, your body is trying to work to develop muscle. So mix the adding muscle, to not enough fuel, your body is struggling to get the nutrition it truely needs.
  • abby459
    so basically I need to up my daily net calories?? What should I be at NET calorie-wise? And what should be daily protein intake be?
  • psuLemon
    so basically I need to up my daily net calories?? What should I be at NET calorie-wise? And what should be daily protein intake be?

First, your protein is fine. It is generally accepted to have .5 - 1 g of protein for each lb of lean body mass. So at a 147 lbs and lets say 25% body fat, that is 110 of LBM, so aiming for 65-110 g's is fine. Second, calories I would aim to get my calories up to 2000 per day. I would suggest doing this slowly. So this week, aim to get 1500 calories per day. Next week 1750 and the following 2000 calories. Also, but using this method, you do NOT have to eat your exercise calories. It's baked into the TDEE multiplier. I would suggest, once you plateau, increase your calories by 250 calories until the weight loss starts again. Below is some information and a tool to help you further understand what a body needs.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

• abby459
    thanks for all the help and advice...I am trying to make the best of this!!!
  • psuLemon
    thanks for all the help and advice...I am trying to make the best of this!!!

Great.. Just remember, this isn't a race. The last 20 lbs can take a long time. Many people say it took 6 months, so don't just expect the weight to fall off. I will say, if you seriously want soem great results, look into p90x. if you follow the meal plan and do the exercises with full intensity, you will build muscle and lose weight fairly quickly.
  • abby459
    how challenging is P90X???....I am sore everyday from 30DS, I am good with cardio but not good with strength training
This discussion has been closed.