vacations!!!

Options
Going on vacation next week....any suggestions on keeping on track???? :smile:

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation in July. I didn't deprive myself. If I wanted to eat it I did. I did a lot of walking when I was on vacation so the exercise part was taken care of. I would just try to stay as much on track as you can and log it. That way you know what you did.

Good luck!
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    its all about portion control and getting in some exercise when possible.

Have a great time and enjoy yourself.
  • shereen62
    Options
    I love to vacation. my husband and I try to go somewhere once a month. so to keep on track I make sure and pack lunches and take my healthy snacks with me and if we go out to eat we split the meal, most restaurants give you huge servings any way. a lot of times I will eat the salad and a small portion of meat and let my hubby have the entree. sometimes you just gotta splurge . don't beat yourself up over it and just get back on track. :smile:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am going on Friday- only for 5 days but have been looking forward to it all year and it was ultimately why I wanted to get in shape in the first place!

Obviously I don't think I will undo ALL the hard work in 5 days, but I won't be logging and I won't be being as picky or sensible about my food choices. Alcohol will be where most of the calories will come from to be honest

I will probably be walking a fair amount, maybe a bit of swimming here and there but aside from that I won't be worrying about exercise.

I am actually curious to see how much my weight will be affected at all, as I am trying get on the road to maintenance at the moment.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 10 day vacation where I decided to eat maintenance calories (or at least what MFP set as my maintenance calories) rather than trying to create a deficit. I knew that I would be eating at really yummy restaurants and would want to treat myself while still making healthy choices, so my biggest concern was gaining back any weight that I have already lost. I also made sure to walk a lot and try to keep active as much as I could. In the end, I didn't gain any weight, but I also didn't lose, which was fine for me. Oh, and I had a wonderful vacation! This might not be for you, but it took a lot of pressure off me for those 10 days.

I still logged my food though as best as I could, just to be sure that I was remaining within my allotted calories.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Those of you that have already been this summer would you mind answering a couple of questions-

Did you gain weight on your return - if so how much?

Did you try to be "good" or did you just throw caution to the wind and ate/drank as you pleased?
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Those of you that have already been this summer would you mind answering a couple of questions-

Did you gain weight on your return - if so how much?

Did you try to be "good" or did you just throw caution to the wind and ate/drank as you pleased?

We did a week long cruise in June (with 4 days in New York prior) and I tried to be good but also threw caution to the wind and had an excellent time. The scale said I put on 7lbs but I think that was probably because I wasn't drinking enough water. I was back to my pre-cruise weight within a week. I never logged what I was eating at all - it was vacation after all :) But I had no problem getting back into the routine of exercising and logging when I got back. If you think that might be an issue for you, I'd continue logging.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    As for me, if the hotel has a gym I take advantage of it. Also since I love swimming, whenever I'm on vacation I spend most of my time at the pool doing my favorite freestyle. I still watching my portions & didn't drink any sodas nor alcohol.
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Honestly I just went on vacation and figure its time to splurge have fun as a vacation is rare- why stress over food when you are having fun and saved you can get back on track when your home.. At least that is the way I looked at it

I didnt track for 2 1/2 weeks gained 3 lbs but stayed active by walking alot , touring and just staying active in a fun way. To me the weight gain was WELL worth it had alot of great memories