OMAD

Options
Anyone do OMAD post gastric bypass? I am interested in trying it out. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004. I’m following a low carb keto lifestyle. Just curious as to how to fit all of my Mac OS into one meal

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Anyone do OMAD post gastric bypass? I am interested in trying it out. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004. I’m following a low carb keto lifestyle. Just curious as to how to fit all of my Mac OS into one meal

ps - did "macros" get auto-corrected into "Mac OS"?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    OMAD is just not a trend I can get behind.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

ps - did "macros" get auto-corrected into "Mac OS"?

Thanks. I couldn't figure out what that could be!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    The point of the gastric bypass is to control hunger AND to make your stomach physically smaller, requiring you to eat small quantities.

How does that work with OMAD?? I am not a doctor, but it seems like a downright dangerous combination!

Seconding this ^^
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options

Call your bariatric surgeon's office and get their opinion on it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, OMAD may be trendy right now, but there is nothing magical about it, and it may be actually dangerous for a post-gastric bypass patient.

But good news! All you need is a calorie deficit, and there are lots of ways to do that. Here are just a few:

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

If you're not losing weight on keto, you are eating more than you think, probably due to common logging errors that we can help you with if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • phoenix1974
    phoenix1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMAD is the most extreme type of intermittent fasting, which is not recommended post gastric bypass.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery-blog/2018/december/intermittent-fasting-is-it-safe-after-bariatric-surgery

...“Intermittent fasting is not a recommended practice for bariatric surgery patients since dietary intake is surgically restricted,” Parrott said. “Patients who have bariatric surgery are instructed to eat regularly-timed meals and reduced quantities (with emphasis on increased protein).”

For bariatric patients, a prolonged fast — or even a poorly managed short-term fast — could increase the risk of dehydration, poor caloric intake and vomiting.

The goal for life after bariatric surgery is “to create long-lasting behavioral changes, in order to maintain weight loss and health-related outcomes,” Parrott said. “Since dietary intake is already limited due to bariatric surgery, it is not a good idea to begin any type of diet, including intermittent fasting.”

It is of the utmost importance for bariatric patients “to eat healthy, quantity-controlled meals in a regularly scheduled manner throughout the day,” she said.
    OMAD is the most extreme type of intermittent fasting, which is not recommended post gastric bypass.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery-blog/2018/december/intermittent-fasting-is-it-safe-after-bariatric-surgery

...“Intermittent fasting is not a recommended practice for bariatric surgery patients since dietary intake is surgically restricted,” Parrott said. “Patients who have bariatric surgery are instructed to eat regularly-timed meals and reduced quantities (with emphasis on increased protein).”

For bariatric patients, a prolonged fast — or even a poorly managed short-term fast — could increase the risk of dehydration, poor caloric intake and vomiting.

The goal for life after bariatric surgery is “to create long-lasting behavioral changes, in order to maintain weight loss and health-related outcomes,” Parrott said. “Since dietary intake is already limited due to bariatric surgery, it is not a good idea to begin any type of diet, including intermittent fasting.”

It is of the utmost importance for bariatric patients “to eat healthy, quantity-controlled meals in a regularly scheduled manner throughout the day,” she said.

• phoenix1974
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for sharing your input. I had gastric bypass surgery back in 2004. I have kept 168 pounds off but desire to lose those last stubborn 30. I agree with you all, OMAD just doesn’t work for me. I do want to try to continue IF. I’m not very hungry in the morning and really don’t need to snack at night.
  • phoenix1974
    Options
    As for calorie deficit etc, I had been very meticulous about my nutrition and exercise but I have a hypothyroid and some other hormonal issues that caused my body to hold on to weight. It can be very frustrating
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Go back to the well. Your medical team. I don't recommend OMAD or IF or Keto for WLS patients with medical issues. Don't do any of that. Go back to your original team and tell them what you've told us.
    Congratulations for maintaining your original weight loss.

• phoenix1974
    Options
    Gosh it’s been years! I don’t even know if that team is still around
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Any medical professional I have ever consulted in my life has let me know when they shut down their practice, retired, whatever, so I could get my records or have them transferred to a new practice. If people in WLS practices don't do this, they need better professional or government oversight.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Any medical professional I have ever consulted in my life has let me know when they shut down their practice, retired, whatever, so I could get my records or have them transferred to a new practice. If people in WLS practices don't do this, they need better professional or government oversight.

Even if it had been more than a decade since you were there? They are not required to keep their records THAT long!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Even if it had been more than a decade since you were there? They are not required to keep their records THAT long!

No, what I mean is that they proactively reached out at the time of shutdown. Obviously it's up to the patient to respond.