back pain after doing weights? HELP!

Options
i have scoliosis and after i do weights i always get a lot of back pain, wondering how to lessen this and why it happens? is it cos of my scoliosis or a different problem?

Replies

• thanish
    thanish Posts: 24
    Options
    could be you have a weak back. try using lifting belt to support your back.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    are you bending over to pick them up, A general rule is you should never "round your back" with weights, to much pressure on your lower back.

you need to squat down and pick them up.

a great book to read is New Rules of Lifting (the third book about ABS) he demonstrates exercises that do not put pressure on your back.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Get a back brace. Also, make sure your abs are contracted at all times. They support your lower back. That should lessen the pain. If it still really hurts lighten your weights.

Remember to always use your legs to lift and put them down.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The RN thinks that really sounds like a question for your doc just in case there is some modification you need to make to accommodate scoliosis. Before you get there you can try lighter weights. Keeping a gym log and eliminating one body part at a time from your routine might give you some insight. Just note the results from that particular routine on your log, especially if the pain is delayed. Good luck on finding what will work for you and congrats for sticking with it despite the pain.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and try to set up some sessions with a qualified trainer to get some ideas. With your scoliosis I would find a trainer who has a degree of some sort in physiology, sports medicine, or as an RN so that they can better understand your needs.