Protein intake cardio vs strength days

Options
Shoukd I am to eat the same amount of protein on cardio and strength days or is it more important to have more protein on strength days? In general I try to consume around 120 grams minimum daily but wondering If I can focus less on protein on cardio days

Replies

• Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Protein is the building block of muscle, especially needed to repair muscles after injury, such as the micro tearing which occurs when lifting. Most cardio days do not induce the same degree of micro tears, so a steady regimen of only cardio can get away with less protein than a lifter.

However, the micro tears incurred during a lifting session can take several days to repair, so it's not enough just to increase protein only on the day you lift, but also on the days after. Consequently if you lift more than once per week, then the entire week just about you are in a state of muscle repair and can use more protein than somebody who either remains idle or does cardio only. Your current goal of 120/day is a good minimum standard.

That said, if you want to do more carbs on cardio day just to have the energy to get through without going over your daily budget, then you should be good to go down slightly in protein compared to lifting days. Just don't make it a huge deficit, like going from 120g to 60g. But dropping from 120 to 100 shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, rather than drop the protein on non-lifting days I simply bump the protein UP on lifting days, as a good deadlift session always makes me desire some red meat, or at minimum a protein shake, lol.

Thanks for the reply. That helps me alot 😊
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I keep my protein the same every day regardless of what i'm doing.

very occasionally I will have a carb dump on a solid leg day (as in eat a bazillion carbs like 300g).

But that's about it.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I keep my protein the same every day regardless of what i'm doing.

very occasionally I will have a carb dump on a solid leg day (as in eat a bazillion carbs like 300g).

But that's about it.

if one gains exercise calories via mfp, should they increase their protein also?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The only thing I change in food with workouts, is after workouts (especially cardio) I would always eat a large high carb or high protein meal. Usually high carb. Since cutting carbs, I eat high protein after workouts. But either work to replenish energy spent.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein intake at relatively high levels regardless of my activity for the day. However, on cardio days I eat slightly less protein (~130 g) than on strength training days (~145 g) so that I can eat more carbs on cardio days. I found that doing this gives me more energy and enables me to perform better in running and cycling.