Excercising With Health Problems?

Options
Hello Friends, I am a female of 41 yo, In 2008 I went into menopause causing me to gain 25 pounds, So the hormones being out of balance caused the weight to stay up. I have Cervical Spondlysis of Neck, which causes pain in neck around shoulders & back (nerves are compressed)... I have alot of muscle pain & my muscles stay pretty tight around those areas all the time. So when it comes to working out I am limited & its frustrating not knowing what I can & can't do. I don't want to hurt myself. But I want to lose weight.

I want to lose this weight but I cannot lift any type of weights because it pulls down on my neck causing so much more pain, Because of the Neck I cannot have my hands over my head for more then 2 minutes cuts off my circulation. Is there anyone else out there with health concerns arthritis, muscle pain, joint pain, neck pain, back pain, RA, and limited on exercising? If So what do you do? I do not have access to a pool or I would be in it everyday. I go for walks but the weight isn't coming off. There has got to be a way to know what exercises you can do without hurting yourself more and be able to lose the weight.

Any suggestions on what I could do? I wanted to hire personal trainer but with me being so limited didn't know if they would work with me. Thanks:happy:

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest a personal trainer for your situation. Talk to your doctor. S/he will know what is right for your body.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about exercise. They should be able to steer you in the right direction because you start anything.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor a Physical therapist would probably be your best bet. My husband has a herniated disk at C4 and with help from the PT he has had good success with exercises and lifting weights was part of it but it needed to be done SLOOOWLY and only increase weight slowly. Now he's lifting fairly often and heavy but it's taken awhile. He also has multiple sclerosis so keeping muscle mass helps with those issues as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Would a recumbant bicycle work for you? A gal I work with has a shoulder injury - she uses one.

I bet a personal trainer would have some ideas.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Pamm, I am in the same predicament as I too have Ankolising Spondilosis of the spine and just lately my arms are beginning to seize up as well as having had a considerable amount of pain with an arthritic spine anyway. I was also born Spina Bifida so I have a weakness there from the getgo.

I have just got my doctor to refer me for some more physiotherapy which can include such things as acupuncture, aqua exercise and massage. No doubt like myself you may feel that anything is worth a try so am hoping another go at the aqua exercises will help me to lose a bit more weight as just recently my results have become somewhat static.

Hope you soon find something to help and as has been said ... best to ask the doctor to refer you for some help.

All the very best to you....:smile:
  • Pamm8577
    Pamm8577 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies, I have been to physical therapist but with no luck. I had heard that the Ymca has a special program for people with health problems, so I am going to check into that. I know I need to do more stretching. My body isn't wanting too but I know it will thank me in the end lol... Thanks again!