Owww

kerikitkat
kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
So, today I took my foster dog to the big monthly adoption event and had a great time. We even had someone put in an application for her, but I don't know how serious they were. Regardless, lots of great doggies found great homes. :laugh:

I get home a little while ago and step in the door and immediately notice that my female dog is acting weird around the foster now. I thought... hmm, maybe she smells funny from being around all those other dogs and people. Before I could really finish that thought, WHAM!! They're locked together in a huge fight!!!! I couldn't believe it, they've never done anything more aggressive than growl a little over toys before. So I jump in and start yanking them apart and put the foster outside so I can inspect them both for any blood. None found.

Sigh. My favorite pair of jeans was the only victim. One of them slashed a big hole in the leg while I was trying to wedge myself between them. That and I somehow hurt my hand... it feels like I pulled a muscle or something deep inside the ring finger joint. :cry:

I wonder what in the world made them act like that all of a sudden?! I haven't put them back together yet, but hopefully it was a one time incident.

Replies

• kerikitkat
    So, today I took my foster dog to the big monthly adoption event and had a great time. We even had someone put in an application for her, but I don't know how serious they were. Regardless, lots of great doggies found great homes. :laugh:

I get home a little while ago and step in the door and immediately notice that my female dog is acting weird around the foster now. I thought... hmm, maybe she smells funny from being around all those other dogs and people. Before I could really finish that thought, WHAM!! They're locked together in a huge fight!!!! I couldn't believe it, they've never done anything more aggressive than growl a little over toys before. So I jump in and start yanking them apart and put the foster outside so I can inspect them both for any blood. None found.

Sigh. My favorite pair of jeans was the only victim. One of them slashed a big hole in the leg while I was trying to wedge myself between them. That and I somehow hurt my hand... it feels like I pulled a muscle or something deep inside the ring finger joint. :cry:

I wonder what in the world made them act like that all of a sudden?! I haven't put them back together yet, but hopefully it was a one time incident.
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    maybe she smelled all of the other dogs on your foster dog...... just a thought. I hope you and they're all feeling better now!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    As Caesar would say...'What kind of energhe are you proyecting?" :happy:

I think sometimes there is a subtle battle for dominance that we don't see...and then some outside factor exacerbates things--new scents or body language--and blam, a big fight.

Once at my kennel, I was training a new guy, and he left a couple runs open outside...I went out back because I heard a noise, and like 4 little dogs were running around together, eek!! Luckily they all got on wonderfully, and they were just little guys, so nothing bad happened...but man could that have turned out poorly. :ohwell:

I hope your hand gets better! I'm glad you weren't bitten. :flowerforyou:
  • kenkraft
    kenkraft Posts: 38 Member
    My wife gets like that when I go out and hang out with other dogs. :noway: :tongue:

oh, just kidding, haha!! (not really, she beats me good...)
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    It could be that your dog is jealous that the foster got to go with you. My female always tries to fight my male if he goes somewhere and she doesn't.
    Good luck with the dogs!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    :laugh: You're too funny! My husband tries telling everyone that too but he knows he is allowed to go out and have a good time whenever he wants, as long as he doesn't drink and drive....:drinker:
  • kerikitkat
    This morning, I was almost ready to leave for work when I heard lots of barking outside. I saw a stray dog at the fence harassing my dogs. Usually they ignore strays but this time the both of them were really worked up about it. I opened the door to call them inside when suddenly my dog and the foster dog decided to fight each other instead of the stray! :noway: It was a huge fight and this time both of them managed to get hurt. Chua, my dog, got just a little cut on her cheek and a shallow bite on her upper leg, so I took care of that at home, but poor Suzi (the foster dog) got several deep bits on her forearms and feet. She was limping pretty badly so I took her to the vet. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Anyway, now I'm worried that Chua is showing more and more aggression lately. She used to get along with everyone no problem. Lately she sometimes growls at other dogs in PetSmart and she keeps playing rougher and rougher with my smaller male dog. Now she's ripped into the foster dog, who is super calm and sweet, TWICE. Sigh. I'm not sure what we're going to do with her. She's already a pain because she refuses to stay in our yard when we leave for work. She can climb any fence. So we leave her inside all day and take her for a long run at night to make up for it. :brokenheart:
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,555 Member
    A gift
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my two dogs still get into fights and they've been together for 2 years.
    bad day. didn't like the smell. jealousy. etc.
    it usually takes a few days when i bring home a foster before they start sorting things out. sometimes, we have fights right away. sometimes, it takes a week.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Your dog is most likely the alpha between the two of them. Studies have shown that dogs know when they are being treated differently than the other dogs in their pack.

You should take them for a long walk. By the time you get back, they should be back on steady ground.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Read your second fight post.

Do you crate Chua when she's home alone?