Low carb fruits and veggies?

Options
In order to get pregnant, my doctor says that I need to lose weight. About 30 pounds in a couple months. And he suggested the Adkin's diet. I AM DOING THIS! :D I just want to know if there are any low carb fruits, and what kind of veggies that I can eat. Please help! And thank you guys.

Replies

• LIFOtheparty
    LIFOtheparty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It does sound a bit extreme to want to lose 30 lbs in just a few months, but to answer your question - berries are a good lower carb fruit. I personally love blueberries and raspberries. In terms of veggies, anything green is great. If you are doing Atkins, you'll want to stay away from anything starchy. Additionally, no potatoes, corn, etc.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    5o62b4bncf73.png
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Your doctor says to lose 30 lbs in 2 months, or is that what YOU want to do? It is possible, I did about that or a little more in 2 months doing Nutrisystem just by following the plan of their food and supplementing with "approved" fruits and veggies and their recommended serving sizes.

Starchy veggies will have more carbs, so watch those. I like to stick to the greens, tomatoes, zucchini and others that you would typically put in a salad. Weatherking posted a couple of great charts for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In order to get pregnant, my doctor says that I need to lose weight. About 30 pounds in a couple months. And he suggested the Adkin's diet. I AM DOING THIS! :D I just want to know if there are any low carb fruits, and what kind of veggies that I can eat. Please help! And thank you guys.

30 lbs in a couple of months is like 4 lbs per week, which is incredibly aggressive to be doing without close medical supervision. Can you ask your doctor for a referral to a Registered Dietitian? Many doctors don't have much education in weight loss, and I'm concerned your doctor might have asked you to do something unrealistic.

I've lost close to 30 pounds in two months. It was dumb and I don't recommend it.

Doctors shouldn't recommend aggressive weight loss either, unless the patients are morbidly obese like on "My 600 Pound Life" and it is literally a matter of life and death.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey folks - I did a quick clean up of this discussion as it was jumping the rails. Please stay on topic.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Options
    Alex wrote: »
    Hey folks - I did a quick clean up of this discussion as it was jumping the rails. Please stay on topic.

Well that's new.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

Your doctor suggested that you lose weight at a rate of 4 lb per week? And use Atkins? I concur with @kimny72 - it sounds like your doctor doesn't really know much about weight loss.

If you want to do Atkins and you think that a low-carb way of eating will work for you, then absolutely do that. But there's nothing special about eating low-carb; it only works (when it does work) because things like bread, cake and pasta are also big sources of calories for most people. And it also makes it much harder to grab high-calorie snacks/meals on impulse when you're on the go, so as a side effect you consume fewer calories.

I strongly recommend that you read some of the stickied posts on these forums, get educated on healthy ways of losing weight, and then try for something a bit more sustainable.