Why do I feel so good?

Options
MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
I'm 53, and a longstanding vegetarian (30+ years) who has exercised fairly well for quite a long time, but more since joining MFP.

I joined 120 days ago, and have lost 21 pounds in that time. I'm 5' 4" and now weigh 117.8 pounds. I have a small frame, and my target is 114, so not far to go.

For as long as I can remember, I've often felt absolutely exhausted - maybe 2 or 3 times a week I'd struggle to get through the day. But since joining MFP, that feeling has stopped - I have honestly never felt better. I really want to know why, not only so that I can sustain it, but also because I am genuinly interested in the science.

I can think of two possibilities:
1. This is the first time I have ever focused on my protein intake; I have always been good at eating lots of fresh fruit and veg, whole grains etc, but might only get one real helping of protein a day in the form of cheese, beans etc
2. As part of my protein drive, I've been consuming hemp protein powder, which I gather contains a good range of animo acids.

I can't think of anything else that I've done differently.

Any ideas out there?

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Well there is the fact that you have lost 21 lbs! Extra weight= increased fatigue.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I think that any change you've made will make you feel better. Upping your protein has helped, exercising a little more than before has helped, maybe your taking a multi-vitamin and that's helped. All the little changes add up to a big change in your body, health and mind.
  • pennysmom1
    pennysmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Maggie,

I'm a vegetarian too and had the same problem with feeling lethargic. I used to think I was getting enough protein if I had some beans, lentils, or cheese with at least 1 meal ... but now that I look back on what I was eating in a day, I was probably only getting 25-30 grams. Now that I've joined a weight loss program and have been tracking my foods on MFP, I eat 75-90 grams of protein a day and it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to energy! :)

And I definitely think exercise helps too ... even something as simple as a 20-minute walk each day.

Jamie
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me at least joining MFPs makes you really focus on your exercise, food and how to make your body work more efficiently and effectively. Logging everything keeps you in tune with the signs and signals that our bodies have been sending us for ages. Perhaps we feel good because we're finally listening. Being meticulous and perhaps more importantly accountable to online friends sends the message to our hearts and brain that yep...I'm listening and learning and making the adjustments to help my body do what it was always designed to do. Our bodies are so complex what might seem to be a really small change produces huge benefits.

Maybe dropping the pounds and becoming happier is a result of BALANCE (mind/body/spirit) :smile:
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your iron was probably pretty low. Low iron leads to feelings of tiredness and weakness. Since you started focusing on your protein intake, your iron started to go up!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Thanks all, some interesting ideas there, and particularly that pennysmom1 has had a similar experience. Not sure about the influence of exercise, as I've had times in the past where I've really gone for it too without this change in my overall energy levels. Maybe, as several of you suggest, it is a combination of factors, and yes, perhaps I should think about it holistically. But I can't help wanting to get to the bottom of it - I'm a closet scientist, lol!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    have you noticed if your increase in protein corresponded to an increase in omega fatty acids? if so, that probably went a little ways increasing your cardiovascular health, making you feel good too!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've gone a similar route, mainly veggie diet for 20 years (pescatarian, but only get fish once or twice a week). I am now eating way more protein, supplementing my beans/lentils/rice with more cheese/yoghurt, nuts, protein bars, and i too have more energy.

Don't forget exercise releases endorphins, they make you happy! Take glucosamine for your joints, I was off it for a while but am now regretting that, i think it was working.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    have you noticed if your increase in protein corresponded to an increase in omega fatty acids? if so, that probably went a little ways increasing your cardiovascular health, making you feel good too!

To be honest, I wouldn't know. I don't eat fish, so the sources are limited,and I haven't reserched that aspect well enough. Maybe I should?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I've gone a similar route, mainly veggie diet for 20 years (pescatarian, but only get fish once or twice a week). I am now eating way more protein, supplementing my beans/lentils/rice with more cheese/yoghurt, nuts, protein bars, and i too have more energy.

Don't forget exercise releases endorphins, they make you happy! Take glucosamine for your joints, I was off it for a while but am now regretting that, i think it was working.

It certainly seems there is a connection with protein, whatever the basis of it may be. As a veggie I can't take glucosamine,as it is normally made from shellfish, I believe. However, I don't really have any joint problems as yet (who knows for the future though). My problem with impact is very bad feet - a hereditary condition (very bad bunions, no cushioning on the soles etc). Horrid! Can't even go for country walks any more. :cry: But can do other things, so must stay positive. :smile:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It certainly seems there is a connection with protein, whatever the basis of it may be. As a veggie I can't take glucosamine,as it is normally made from shellfish, I believe. However, I don't really have any joint problems as yet (who knows for the future though). My problem with impact is very bad feet - a hereditary condition (very bad bunions, no cushioning on the soles etc). Horrid! Can't even go for country walks any more. :cry: But can do other things, so must stay positive. :smile:

Those feet sound like a nightmare. You must have to get some seriously cushioned shoes!

Incidentally if you ever do need glucosamine, or if it'll help the feet, healthspan do a veg version derived from corn instead of shellfish.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's making you feel good, but whatever it is, keep it up and enjoy the feeling! I'm kind of jealous. I've been on a huge decline over the last few weeks, and I just got my thyroid tested again today. I can't wait to get the results to see if I can't end the madness.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

Those feet sound like a nightmare. You must have to get some seriously cushioned shoes!

Incidentally if you ever do need glucosamine, or if it'll help the feet, healthspan do a veg version derived from corn instead of shellfish.

You are so right Jen, no summer sandals for me! It's difficult to find suitable shoes that aren't designed for old ladies too.

Thanks for the tip about Glucosamine - I'll definitely follow that up. :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I don't know what's making you feel good, but whatever it is, keep it up and enjoy the feeling! I'm kind of jealous. I've been on a huge decline over the last few weeks, and I just got my thyroid tested again today. I can't wait to get the results to see if I can't end the madness.

You poor thing! My mother has an underactive thyroid, and I know how difficult things have been for her. The doctors keep testing me for it because of my (previous) fatigue levels, but so far I don't have it. Let me know when you get your results; it isn't nice living with exhaustion, so I'm hoping they can explain it for you and adjust your Thyroxin accordingly. Very best of luck. :flowerforyou: