Recovery Runs and Calories Burned

Options
Hi guys, first time poster here mostly just lurking around and I was curious do you Runner’s out there that run doubles eat your calories burned back from recovery runs? Those seconds runs or doubles that are slow enough to warrant some recovery but are relatively short compared to the rest of your mileage?

Example: run 10 miles this morning Tempo
3 mile recovery run this evening

Does the purposely low heart rate run warrant a need to eat back those calories if you have a specific caloric goal? Or do you kind of ignore them since the exercise done is (for all intensive purposes) relatively easy and small?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As running calories are predominantly in line with distance and not pace I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.
    Your recovery run would be c. 3/10th the calories of your tempo run despite being at an easier pace.

HR isn't a great way to estimate calorie burns for many people and you also don't need a high HR to be burning significant calories.
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    As running calories are predominantly in line with distance and not pace I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.
    Your recovery run would be c. 3/10th the calories of your tempo run despite being at an easier pace.

HR isn't a great way to estimate calorie burns for many people and you also don't need a high HR to be burning significant calories.

I guess my question is would the shorter distance ran warrant a reason to eat back calories burned. But I guess the obvious answer then would be Ofcourse if you’re trying to hit a specific daily goal.

I do know the primary method of estimating running calories burned is Bodyweight x .63 x miles ran, I guess I just figured at a low recovery heart rate it would burn less than a regular easy run. But if it’s a measure of difference than either way I’m burning the same amount of calories just at a much easier time
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of people would consider a 3 mile run a significant exercise session.
    If you are attempting to estimate your calorie balance then ignoring it would make your data less accurate which to me would be counterproductive.

I did a recovery cycle ride the other day following a hard and hilly ride the day before - it felt easy but still burned a significant 779 cals.

Energy doesn't have feelings! :)

• TheRayOD2014
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think the majority of people would consider a 3 mile run a significant exercise session.
    If you are attempting to estimate your calorie balance then ignoring it would make your data less accurate which to me would be counterproductive.

I did a recovery cycle ride the other day following a hard and hilly ride the day before - it felt easy but still burned a significant 779 cals.

Energy doesn't have feelings! :)

:) incredibly insightful to hear your perspective and the reality of it! I guess you’re right, even if it was for me personally easy it would be inaccurate to assume those calories are not burnt or are minor enough to disregard.

It’s roughly 300 whether you go all out or take it easy and chill.

Thank you!

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    You’re burning the same number of calories running a 5k at race pace or a 3 mile recovery run. You just take longer to burn them on the recovery run.

And yes-they are calories burned. So you should eat them in accordance with whatever your calorie/weight goals are.

Also-if you’re doing a training plan where you are running doubles and recovery runs, you need to be sure you’re providing your body with adequate fuel and nutrition to recover from that training load.
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options
    You’re burning the same number of calories running a 5k at race pace or a 3 mile recovery run. You just take longer to burn them on the recovery run.

And yes-they are calories burned. So you should eat them in accordance with whatever your calorie/weight goals are.

Also-if you’re doing a training plan where you are running doubles and recovery runs, you need to be sure you’re providing your body with adequate fuel and nutrition to recover from that training load.

I agree now, don’t skimp on recovery (nutritionally or training wise)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Fuel your runs, even recovery runs.