eating breakfast

Options
I know that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, but is it that bad to skip it and save the calories for later in the day. I usually start out with coffee (I log my creamer) or a diet soda and I bring a breakfast bar/banana to eat at work. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to eat and just wait until lunch. It seems like it doesn't affect me much and I have more calories to eat later in the day. Is that really so bad?

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The reason breakfast i so important is that when you go to sleep, your motabolism slows down, it doesn't speed up again until you break your nightly fast, breakfast. o if you don't eat until later in the day, your motabolism is slow until later in the day making your weight loss slower.
  • kwinty37
    kwinty37 Posts: 66
    Options
    I am a light breakfast eater also, usually coffee and a banana..... I would like to see some answers to this question!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've read that it really doesn't matter when you eat. You could eat all your calories in one meal if you wanted! Of course you'd probably be hungry the rest of the day, and feel sick after said meal.... It is all about what works for you. Ensure you get all your nutrients, and that you aren't over hungry and that is it.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    Eating a good healthy breakfast in the morning will kick start your metabolism for day. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day because then you have all day to burn it off. Work to change your habits now, it will pay off in the end. I also don't recommend drinking soda, diet or otherwise. It is just full of crap and sugar. Try drinking flavored water instead. Good luck!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Your metabolism slows down when you sleep and breakfast is what triggers it to speed back up, so by skipping breakfast you're keeping your body at a lower calorie burn rate. Some people say to use your mosr calories ar breakfast. I personally eat a smaller one but it's still something. And I find by doing that and eating a reasonable lunch along with exercising saves me enough calories in my day to eat pretty much whatever I want for dinner.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm far from being an expert on the subject but I'll tell you what I've been taught. One thing is that breakfast essentially jump starts your matabolism for the day and gives your system the best chance to use the day's calories efficiently. Kind of like filling your tank before the needle gets to the 1/2 full mark rather than waiting until you're almost on empty. Another thing I've read is that breakfast may keep you from overeating later in the day. Everyone is different, but I know that if I go too long without eating or I skip a meal/snack, by the time I get my hands on some food I'm a ravaging lunatic! Finally, and this has also been true for me, many people believe that eating a good breakfast improves brain function. School teachers always send home notes before my kids' major exams reminding them and me to ensure a good breakfast the day of. I've also read many studies in my own practice that state the same.

I hope this information is useful to you somehow. Take the meat and throw away the bones. Keep moving forward and stay encouraged!!!!
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, but is it that bad to skip it and save the calories for later in the day. I usually start out with coffee (I log my creamer) or a diet soda and I bring a breakfast bar/banana to eat at work. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to eat and just wait until lunch. It seems like it doesn't affect me much and I have more calories to eat later in the day. Is that really so bad?

I don`t eat breakfast either, im ok with a coffee and creamer..Im not even hungry until about 2-3pm.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eating a good healthy breakfast in the morning will kick start your metabolism for day. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day because then you have all day to burn it off. Work to change your habits now, it will pay off in the end. I also don't recommend drinking soda, diet or otherwise. It is just full of crap and sugar. Try drinking flavored water instead. Good luck!

Completely agree!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast even if it is just a protein shake..or a piece of fruit. Gets me going!
  • kwinty37
    kwinty37 Posts: 66
    Options
    Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day because then you have all day to burn it off.

I never thought of it that way! Good one!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast, I was never hungry, sometimes never even bothered having lunch either, which led to binging later in the day because I was ravnous, I started on here forcing myself to have breakfast, because I read its important and why, and now, I HAVE to actually have something or I feel hungry:happy:
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    All good advice. I only drink soda for caffiene when I don't take time to make coffee. I only have one caffienated beverage per day and then switch to water for the rest of the day. I do find that I'm hungry for lunch when I skip breakfast, but I've never really felt a difference with brain function - I just I should pay attention to that more.:ohwell: