How many day a week should I exercise?

Options
Just wondering what people thought....should I work out 7 days a week? I have a large amount more to lose. I do between 60-90 minutes a day - mostly treadmill. I just got in to being consistant. I noticed this morning my shins and hips hurt really bad (lol...that makes me feel old saying my hips hurt, but a few years ago a got in a reall bad car accident, so that isn't so uncommon for me). I didn't know if I should do a rest day or just keep up with the 60-90 everyday....I have always heard to give yourself a rest day and I don't want to over due it, but I also really don't want to get off track!!!!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It depends on how quickly you want to see results. Training 6 days a week is ok as long as you don't injure yourself... but it sounds like you might be doing that already. Do you go to a gym to workout? You might try doing cycling some days instead of the treadmill to give your hips a break. Also, if you jog every single day you body starts to adapt to that training.
  • 4himalone
    Options
    good question! would love to hear the replies!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell someone else how often to exercise because you'll have your own capabilities and goals... but I try to exercise 5 times a week, normally for 45-60 minutes (fast uphill walking on a treadmill and stationary bike).

If I don't do at least that much I feel like I'm not doing enough.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'd reccommend running every other day, and mixing it up on the in-between days.

Example:
    Mon- run
    Tues- Yoga/strength training
    Wed- run
    Thurs- workout dvd (or something from youtube)/strength
    Fri- run
    Sat- yoga/strength
    Sun- run

Just some ideas...
    People say that you should take at least one rest day a week. For me, a rest day is one where I take a long walk or do yoga. That's what feels therapeutic to me and doesn't strain my heart or muscles. Try out different exercises and different routines, and eventually you'll find what works best for you.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Rest is as important as exercise itself, unless you're exercising different parts of your body on different days or are a athlete you shouldn't exercise 7 days a week in my opinion.
    If your shins hurt badly you may have shin splints, and if you had a accident this is one more reason to be careful and not push it too much.
    The only treatment for shin splints is rest, so take a couple of days and don't exercise your lower body, get a DVD or workout videos and do core and upper body work instead. Then if you feel you must exercise every day or very frequently alternate core and upper body workouts with running/walking etc this will give both parts of the body a rest day in between to recover.

If you can and have a heart rate monitor, monitor your resting heart rate daily when you wake up, a patern will start emerging after a while, if you see your heart rate significant higher then your normal it is time to stop.

Good luck.
  • Gembo82
    Gembo82 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am no expert but personally i would allow a rest day to give your muscles time to recover and repair themselves. Also like you say you dont want to overdo things and end up hurting yourself or wearing yourself out.
    Well done on the weight loss so far. xxx
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Cardio can be done everyday. It is strength training that they say to switch up different days.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It takes about six weeks to create a new habit. I read that somewhere a long time ago....sorry no reference... If its true then going everyday for a while is good because it develops the exercise habit. Trick is to vary your exercise so that you're not working the same muscles every day. There is nothing wrong with getting up and moving something every day! :smile:
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know people keep saying to take a rest day, but I have been having a hard time doing it too, I am afraid I'll start making excuses to not work out the next day as well. Taking a rest day can help you lose weight faster though, and may help your hips stop hurting. Or you could just have a less intense workout one day a week. Also, if your hips and shins hurt, you may need new shoes. Good luck! :)
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    everyones body is different and can handle different levels.... me right from the start i did 6 days a week of weight training/10-25min cardio and on sunday i had a rest day or a longer cardio day again depending on how i feel... so if you are training 7 days a week but u notice after a month ur energy levels are down, you are fatigue etc give urself a brake.. n most important is when u make a schedual you stick to it without any exceptions!
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recommend at least one rest day a week. Whether or not you need it for muscle repair (depends on how hard you've been working it), having one rest day is good for the mind and your motivation to keep at it. Exercising 7 days a week and burning out after 2 months isn't going to really get you anywhere long term. Just don't over eat/drink on the rest day.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    It depends on how quickly you want to see results. Training 6 days a week is ok as long as you don't injure yourself... but it sounds like you might be doing that already. Do you go to a gym to workout? You might try doing cycling some days instead of the treadmill to give your hips a break. Also, if you jog every single day you body starts to adapt to that training.

I really can't go to the gym. No extra money and two small children and I work full time. I have a treadmill at home, along with a little step machine, and I do on demand cardio videos...I would love to have a bike, but I don't have one and can't easily access one. :(
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how you feel. If you want to exercise 7 days a week and you can manage it, DO IT! But right now it sounds like you should take a couple of rest days and let your shins and hips cool down. Maybe take an anti-inflammatory or something as well if you feel like it. Our running schedule is...

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Mid-range run (about 6 miles right now)
    Wed - Mid-range run
    Thu - Rest
    Fri - Short run
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Long run

In a perfect world we would do some kind of cross training on the rest days like cycling, tennis, swimming, walking, hiking etc. This schedule works pretty well for us, keeps us on track for our goals and gives enough rest that we don't get hurt or burnt out.
  • kngarber
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I am no expert but personally i would allow a rest day to give your muscles time to recover and repair themselves. Also like you say you dont want to overdo things and end up hurting yourself or wearing yourself out.
  • kngarber
    Options
    I know people keep saying to take a rest day, but I have been having a hard time doing it too, I am afraid I'll start making excuses to not work out the next day as well. Taking a rest day can help you lose weight faster though, and may help your hips stop hurting. Or you could just have a less intense workout one day a week. Also, if your hips and shins hurt, you may need new shoes. Good luck! :)

Exactly I am fearing the same thing that I will just keep making excuses...
    I am sure I do need some new shoes too!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I agree with this poster. Listen to your body. give yourself at least one day of rest, and more as needed. If you injure yourself, you'll end up doing NO exercise for a while, so be careful you don't overdo it! Congrats on your progress thus far!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend working out M T Th F and resting on W Sa Su. You could switch from cardio to strength training (lifting weights) on your cardio off days.Exercising with intensity every single day is fine for short programs (like 30DS), but I don't think it's practical for every day use.

I would definitely say to take at least one day a week to let your body rest, especially in light of your previous accident. It's better to rest one day than be out of commission for a week+ from over doing it.