Macros matter or MFP calories goal ?

Options
I am confused. I usually eat my goal calories but fat and carbs go 10 gm above most of the days. Many Instagram posts says it does not matter as long as your are on calorie deficit. I am 35, 5 feet 4 inches and currently weighs 145lbs. Goal is 120

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    As always, kimny's information is rock solid. I can't improve on that.

I kind of glance at the macros but focus on the calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have even changed my macros goals to be quite different than the default. I still don't hit them exactly.

For me, carbs are a maximum, protein a minimum and I couldn't care less about the fat.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What Kimmy said. Calories are the only thing that matters for weight loss. Macros can affect your hunger level and diet compliance. I tried to comply at first with MFP's default macro settings, but they didn't work for me -- way too heavy on the carbs and not enough protein. So I switched to just eating what I wanted and observed where the macros fell at the end of the day. I adjusted the MFP macros to map to what I eat, rather than the other way around, and it fell out as follows: 35 % carb, 35 % fat, 30 % protein. As long as I am in the general ballpark of these numbers, I don't sweat it at all because it doesn't matter.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I always aim to exceed my protein goals. Fat and carbs don’t bother me too much. But that’s just personal preference and has no bearing on my weightloss through calorie deficit.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've lost weight tracking on mfp a few times (always for weight gain from injuries).

I didn't even know what a macro was when I lost weight on here the first couple of times. I tracked calories, never paid attention to anything else... Didn't even realize there was a community, lol.

The only reason I can see for tracking macros: medical issues that require low carb, low fat, or low protein, weight lifting requiring higher protein and/or higher carbs, or competitive athletes needing higher carbs.

For most, they make little to zero impact on losing weight.

Good luck!

• rajikaurbajna
    rajikaurbajna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have even changed my macros goals to be quite different than the default. I still don't hit them exactly.

For me, carbs are a maximum, protein a minimum and I couldn't care less about the fat.

So could you loose weight because I am in the same range
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Im on 1700 calories as per tdee on a 40/30/30 split (dietitian set the goal). Calories are my cut off of intake. By meeting my protein goals I noticed less hunger and less bingeing. The rest of the balance is fat for satiety and carbs for enjoyment.