Losing weight while breastfeeding?

Options
So, I had always heard that breastfeeding can help you easily drop weight post-partum. I assumed since I'm breastfeeding twins it would be even easier. My twins turn one on September 10th, and while I'm not at my highest weight, I'm still a good 20lbs higher than right before I got pregnant. I did lose roughly 40 pounds immediately after giving birth, but went back up 20 over the course of the year. Honestly I haven't focused on my diet like I should've this year, but even when I'm really trying I find myself ravenous and snacking all day. Anyone experience this? With them being a year old I'm less concerned about my diet effecting my milk supply, but man, I can't seem to stop eating. I lost about 30 pounds over six months when we were trying to conceive, and although it wasn't easy, it was doable, but this time around it just seems 10x harder. Maybe it's because I'm almost 30 as well. I don't know.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Everyone's experience is different, but I was unable to lose any weight at all while I was nursing. But the moment I stopped nursing, the weight started to melt off.
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost about 10 lbs when my daughter was born, and then immediately gained another 5. That stuck with me all during breastfeeding. I tried now and then to decrease my calories, but I was SO hungry, so I stopped worrying about that.

When I stopped, I lost about 10 right away, but everything else was weight I had gained due to extra calories.

Your body is likely holding onto the lbs during breastfeeding.
  • mrsabror90
    mrsabror90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, that is a little frustrating. My husband and I kind of want a big family, and my goal was to breastfeed to 1.5 or 2 and then focus on conceiving again. However, I really need to lose some weight and get healthier before my next pregnancy. I'm in a lot of physical pain from twin pregnancy, and now just life as a twin mom (nursing, picking them up, carrying them and their stuff around). I might have to work on at least cutting down the amount they nurse to maybe a morning and evening feeding once they are one, because something has to change.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    All I can say is congratulations on breastfeeding twins! Amazing! I am breastfeeding my 9 month old & definitely notice that I get waaaay more hungry if she feeds more for whatever reason... plus being tired makes you hungrier too! The weight loss is still CICO but of course the CO from breastfeeding is a rough estimate... Ive been tracking on mfp & allowing plenty of extra cals for feeding & have sloooowly lost my pregnancy weight. Maybe try tracking again for a while & see where you can make changes? You might not realise how much you're eating if it's snacks etc to keep you going :)
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for breastfeeding your twins! I have twins too, they’re 3 years old and I’ve finally lost the pregnancy weight. Sorry that doesn’t sound too positive, but looking after twins is really hard work and I didn’t even think about my diet until a few months ago.

I’ve just finished breastfeeding, though for the last few months they were only feeding once per day. I was very hungry when they fed more, which is one of the reasons I didn’t pay much attention to losing weight. I lost the weight while feeding once a day.

After my first pregnancy (one baby, not twins) I lost all the weight except 7lbs. That disappeared on it’s own when I stopped breastfeeding 2.5 years later.

I would say set your calorie goal fairly high, maybe try to lose half a pound a week so you still have enough energy to look after your toddlers. Now that you have a well established milk supply I don’t think it will be affected by reducing calories, but your energy levels could be. Good luck!
  • mrsabror90
    Options
    Congratulations for breastfeeding your twins! I have twins too, they’re 3 years old and I’ve finally lost the pregnancy weight. Sorry that doesn’t sound too positive, but looking after twins is really hard work and I didn’t even think about my diet until a few months ago.

I’ve just finished breastfeeding, though for the last few months they were only feeding once per day. I was very hungry when they fed more, which is one of the reasons I didn’t pay much attention to losing weight. I lost the weight while feeding once a day.

After my first pregnancy (one baby, not twins) I lost all the weight except 7lbs. That disappeared on it’s own when I stopped breastfeeding 2.5 years later.

I would say set your calorie goal fairly high, maybe try to lose half a pound a week so you still have enough energy to look after your toddlers. Now that you have a well established milk supply I don’t think it will be affected by reducing calories, but your energy levels could be. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! My boys typically nurse at least 6 times during the day, and sometimes 2 to 3 times each at night... I think I can definitely cut them back a little now, especially since they are eating 3 meals plus snacks a day now. I don't want to wean entirely, especially going into flu and cold season, and I really enjoy our time together (except at 3am, lol) It's good to hear from another twin mom! It is frustrating though, to have worked so hard to exclusively breastfeed my twins, and then to feel like that is the thing standing between me and success... It wouldn't be so bad if I just had 20 or 30lbs of pregnancy weight to lose, but I was very obese prior to pregnancy, and I just can't go into my next the same way. I'm 300 lbs currently, and ideally would like to lose AT LEAST 50 first.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while breastfeeding. It can be done, but every person's body is different. Many report being able to lose some weight, but not the last ~15lbs, which magically falls off when they stop breastfeeding.

I lost enough weight to get into a healthy BMI range rather quickly and easily, 35lbs in 6 months, started when LO was 6 months. I lost the last 10-15lbs very slowly over a full year. I have yet to stop breastfeeding (LO just turned 2, I plan to breastfeed another year at least), so I haven't any idea what it will do to my body.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Gosh, well done for breastfeeding twins, and getting this far along too! I know how tired and hungry I am just feeding one!
    With me I did lose the weight while breastfeeding both my sons but I did it mainly by exercising more rather than restricting my diet. With looking after 2 one year olds night and day I don’t know if you can fit in regular workouts? And exercising when sleep deprived is difficult. I would be inclined to say to wait till you wean them but I know that’s not what you want to hear, so maybe you could wait till they’re only feeding once per night. My 9 month old is still doing three or four night feeds and it’s hard going! For me, doing a half hour workout three times a week when my oldest is in nursery is doable but with your double trouble I don’t know if that’s feasible?
    Honestly, if you can leave your weight loss till they’re feeding less you probably just need to give yourself a break at the moment because you need all the energy you can get!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mrsabror90 wrote: »
    So, I had always heard that breastfeeding can help you easily drop weight post-partum. I assumed since I'm breastfeeding twins it would be even easier. My twins turn one on September 10th, and while I'm not at my highest weight, I'm still a good 20lbs higher than right before I got pregnant. I did lose roughly 40 pounds immediately after giving birth, but went back up 20 over the course of the year. Honestly I haven't focused on my diet like I should've this year, but even when I'm really trying I find myself ravenous and snacking all day. Anyone experience this? With them being a year old I'm less concerned about my diet effecting my milk supply, but man, I can't seem to stop eating. I lost about 30 pounds over six months when we were trying to conceive, and although it wasn't easy, it was doable, but this time around it just seems 10x harder. Maybe it's because I'm almost 30 as well. I don't know.

If you were to eat as you ate pre-pregnancy, yes you would have lost a lot of weight . The "problem" is that a lot of women assume they have to eat a lot more than they need to not affect their supply, or that breastfeeding means you can eat whenever hungry, without paying any attention to what you eat.
    The good news are there is absolutely no reason you cannot restrict calories within reason while breastfeeding. If e.g. your maintenance without breastfeeding was 1900 calories, you could just eat that, and lose weight. The bad news are that when you stop breastfeeding you usually still feel hungry for a while, which is when many women gain back a good amount of what they lost while breastfeeding, so do not invest your hopes into "the weight will fall off when I stop", because chances are the opposite will happen.
    Set MFP to lose what is a reasonable amount, with a reasonable rate, and either add about 300-500 calories for breastfeeding, but make sure to stay on a deficit, or eat at maintenance, do not log breastfeeding, and let it create the deficit for you.
    If, as you say, you are very obese, try to log what you eat and see how you can make smarter choices, to not feel hungry constantly, because this will take a while, so starving for a few weeks or months will not get you anywhere. See where the bulk of your calories are coming from, and then work on changing this. Is it too many meals, too many sugary drinks, too much sauce, too large portions, too calorie dense food, snacking when stressed? Once you identify what is the main problem, it will be easier to have a plan.
  • mrsabror90
    edited August 2019
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »

If you were to eat as you ate pre-pregnancy, yes you would have lost a lot of weight . The "problem" is that a lot of women assume they have to eat a lot more than they need to not affect their supply, or that breastfeeding means you can eat whenever hungry, without paying any attention to what you eat.
    The good news are there is absolutely no reason you cannot restrict calories within reason while breastfeeding. If e.g. your maintenance without breastfeeding was 1900 calories, you could just eat that, and lose weight. The bad news are that when you stop breastfeeding you usually still feel hungry for a while, which is when many women gain back a good amount of what they lost while breastfeeding, so do not invest your hopes into "the weight will fall off when I stop", because chances are the opposite will happen.
    Set MFP to lose what is a reasonable amount, with a reasonable rate, and either add about 300-500 calories for breastfeeding, but make sure to stay on a deficit, or eat at maintenance, do not log breastfeeding, and let it create the deficit for you.
    If, as you say, you are very obese, try to log what you eat and see how you can make smarter choices, to not feel hungry constantly, because this will take a while, so starving for a few weeks or months will not get you anywhere. See where the bulk of your calories are coming from, and then work on changing this. Is it too many meals, too many sugary drinks, too much sauce, too large portions, too calorie dense food, snacking when stressed? Once you identify what is the main problem, it will be easier to have a plan.

While I appreciate the advice, this is not necessarily what I was asking for. I understand calorie goals, weighing/logging food, healthier foods, abstaining from excess junk food, not starving myself, not eating too much extra just because I'm BFing, etc. I'm not asking for a how-to on healthy eating or maintaining a deficit, I understand that, but for experience from other breastfeeding moms on their appetite while breast-feeding vs. after weaning, and how their body handled everything in between. Obviously if I were to eat how I did prior to breast-feeding I would've lost weight, I understand that, it's not a matter of head-knowledge, but mind-set, cravings and appetite. I don't think my weight is going to miraculously disappear after I wean my twins, but I am hoping my appetite will lessen and it will be a little easier to satisfy. Thank you for taking the time to respond though.
  • LKArgh
    edited August 2019
    Options

While I appreciate the advice, this is not necessarily what I was asking for. I understand calorie goals, weighing/logging food, healthier foods, abstaining from excess junk food, not starving myself, not eating too much extra just because I'm BFing, etc. I'm not asking for a how-to on healthy eating or maintaining a deficit, I understand that, but for experience from other breastfeeding moms on their appetite while breast-feeding vs. after weaning, and how their body handled everything in between. Obviously if I were to eat how I did prior to breast-feeding I would've lost weight, I understand that, it's not a matter of head-knowledge, but mind-set, cravings and appetite. I don't think my weight is going to miraculously disappear after I wean my twins, but I am hoping my appetite will lessen and it will be a little easier to satisfy. Thank you for taking the time to respond though.

I answered from experience. I have 3 kids, breastfed all 3. Ate as before kids, probably a bit better, because I was more conscious of needing calcium and protein more, so was more like to pick a yoghurt or some almond milk as a snack over a cookie. Did not count calories, overall ate as pre-pregnancy. Lost weight, to the point of ending up with an unhealthy BMI. Each time, after weaning, the weight lost started creeping back and it was a struggle to adjust to my body no longer burning these extra calories. I had cravings, felt hungry and also thirsty, as all breastfeeding mothers do I believe. It took time after weaning for my appetite to catch up and I continued feeling hungrier than usual for several months.
    I know this is not at all what you want to hear. But, telling you that weight loss while breastfeeding or after breastfeeding, has magic tricks and shortcuts, it will be a lie. It is not a matter of appetite. Appetite in the end can be satisfied with an apple, or a glass of milk.
    So to sum up: breastfeeding helps lose weight, weaning helps gain weight. My experience with all my babies, my mother's experience, my friends experience.
    A quick google search says that to maintain 250 lbs, you need about 2250 calories per day, assuming you are not moving much. When nursing, this means that you have an extra about 500 calories per day, so since you gained significantly, you are currently eating well over 3000 calories. Cravings because of breastfeeding are a good excuse to eat e.g. a donut before bet, which is about 200 calories or so. You cannot attribute 3000+ calories per day to cravings. And there are no quick fixes. It is totally doable, as many people on this site can tell you, but it takes honesty with yourself and a change in mindset. I know you want me to say that once they slow down, weight will melt down and you will crave grapes and water only. But I do not think lying will help you, not when you say your weight affects your daily life and your dreams of a bigger family. Put your mind to it, set a goal of a couple of years and you can definitely do it!
  • mrsabror90
    Options
    Thank you again, but please don't put words in my mouth. I'll leave this here, because I really don't feel like a back-and-forth.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with breastfeeding and weight. My experience (about 30 years ago) was different. My son was weaned at 13 months - except for 1 morning feeding which I dropped, he self weaned. I gained 50 pounds during the pregnancy and was about 20 pounds overweight when I got pregnant. By the time he weaned, I had lost all 70 lbs. And, even better, I had lost weight in my hips and legs that has never come off before or since (even when my weight is lower than that). I was not trying to lose weight, it just seemed to happen naturally. The main thing I noticed during that time was an insatiable thirst! I could drink water all day long and never quench it. It was nuts, because outside of breastfeeding, I rarely feel thirst at all and have to force myself to drink.

Congrats on your twin boys. I bet they are wonderful since y'all are still planning on a big family!

And your plan to keep breastfeeding through the cold/flu season sounds great. We nearly lost our baby to severe asthma not long after weaning, and I would've definitely nursed a second baby longer for extra protection from illnesses. (Endometriosis put the kibosh on more kids.)
  • mrsabror90
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with breastfeeding and weight. My experience (about 30 years ago) was different. My son was weaned at 13 months - except for 1 morning feeding which I dropped, he self weaned. I gained 50 pounds during the pregnancy and was about 20 pounds overweight when I got pregnant. By the time he weaned, I had lost all 70 lbs. And, even better, I had lost weight in my hips and legs that has never come off before or since (even when my weight is lower than that). I was not trying to lose weight, it just seemed to happen naturally. The main thing I noticed during that time was an insatiable thirst! I could drink water all day long and never quench it. It was nuts, because outside of breastfeeding, I rarely feel thirst at all and have to force myself to drink.

Congrats on your twin boys. I bet they are wonderful since y'all are still planning on a big family!

And your plan to keep breastfeeding through the cold/flu season sounds great. We nearly lost our baby to severe asthma not long after weaning, and I would've definitely nursed a second baby longer for extra protection from illnesses. (Endometriosis put the kibosh on more kids.)

It's amazing how every body is so unique, so interesting! I've read different stories online, and know different people who have had different experiences as well.

I get the thirst as well, that's for sure, although I was already a big water drinker before. I always keep a jar handy these days, gotta keep up with these thirsty boys! And yes, even though they can be extraordinarily difficult, they really are such a blessing. On the tough days I try and remember that I hit the jack-pot with identical twins, not everyone gets the same experience.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    You’re eating for three right now! Congratulations on the twins! Boys are so fun. Once they are walking you’ll lose a ton of weight chasing them down! The activity level of boys is mind boggling.
  • LKArgh
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    You’re eating for three right now! Congratulations on the twins! Boys are so fun. Once they are walking you’ll lose a ton of weight chasing them down! The activity level of boys is mind boggling.

She is eating for 3, which is why she is gaining fast. To maintain supply, she just needs to eat for 1.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/
  • mrsabror90
    Options

She is eating for 3, which is why she is gaining fast. To maintain supply, she just needs to eat for 1.

Honestly, please go find someone else to hassle? You literally know nothing about me except the little bit I have shared here, yet you somehow surprise me with "facts" about myself I didn't even know. I never said I was "gaining fast," I'm actually ten pounds below my heaviest weight, and my current weight is one I stayed at for several years before I even got pregnant, and have been the same weight now for some 6 months or so. I need to go down from here, yes, but I didn't even come here asking for advice on how to do that, I was simply asking for people's personal experience with breastfeeding and hunger. I get there's anonymity on the internet and all that, so you do you, but you're being ridiculous now.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Honestly, please go find someone else to hassle? You literally know nothing about me except the little bit I have shared here, yet you somehow surprise me with "facts" about myself I didn't even know. I never said I was "gaining fast," I'm actually ten pounds below my heaviest weight, and my current weight is one I stayed at for several years before I even got pregnant, and have been the same weight now for some 6 months or so. I need to go down from here, yes, but I didn't even come here asking for advice on how to do that, I was simply asking for people's personal experience with breastfeeding and hunger. I get there's anonymity on the internet and all that, so you do you, but you're being ridiculous now.

I am very sorry you feel this way. My intention was to offer advice, based on personal experience. In all "bad" habits we have as humans though, I feel no advice can be heard until we are ready to actually listen. So, I will summarise to "use MFP as it is intended, and it will actual work, CICO is a simple principle and this is a great app." Good luck and the best to you and your family.
  • jaelicious
    jaelicious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I share your experience. Just had baby #3 in February and exclusively nursed all 3 for over a year (currently still nursing)... I NEVER LOSE WEIGHT WHILE NURSING. I was so envious of all the other women boasting of the weight loss. I was insatiably hungry after nursing my first son, but I didn’t even get that ravenous hunger with the other two! I’m so busy with “two under two” that I forget to eat at times, and when I DO eat I choose healthy option. It doesn’t matter what I do, the weight stays. But as soon as I stop nursing it allllll drops off! 🙌🏾 So, at least I know there’s a bright side to the struggle, LOL.

I think we can all see, based on responses, that our bodies and experiences are all different and there’s no appropriate “one size fits all” weight loss advice- ESPECIALLY when the advice is unsolicited (*cough*LKArgh*cough*)