Working out after foot surgery?

Options
So I had foot surgery 3 months ago and was in recovery about six weeks. I was relieved by the doctor and I'm still having pain as my full recovery has another three months to go. It's very hard for me to wear heels for example. Basically impossible. I'm trying to get back into a workout routine and wondering what would be recommended for toning of legs and thighs that would not aggravate my foot? I'm also getting started back on the elliptical as there's no pressure. Any recommendations?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Cycling, swimming and aerial yoga
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I would ask your foot surgeon. I almost had foot surgery and opted not to because the surgeon said the integrity of the foot is never the same after surgery. Took two years wearing a walking cast for my foot to heal on its own.

Good luck with your healing. 💟
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist.
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi have you tried the seated leg curl and leg extension machines in your gym? Great for that toning you are looking for, and your footsies don't get involved.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PHOTOCHAP wrote: »
    Hi have you tried the seated leg curl and leg extension machines in your gym? Great for that toning you are looking for, and your footsies don't get involved.

These are good options. Unfortunately, I know what you're going through; I've had two bone grafts in my ankle that required three months of no weight-bearing each time. The last one was two years ago and I'm just now getting back into running.

If you don't have access to a gym, you might look into ankle weights or resistance bands to mimic the leg curl/extension movements. In the meantime, however, be patient. I know being unable to work out sucks beyond belief, but it's not worth risking injury to push it too soon.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Body weight lunges. Bulgarian split squats. Single let standing leg curls. It's all according to how much pressure your foot can handle.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I broke my leg and ankle last year and had a long recovery. In my case, they didn’t want me on an elliptical. Bikes were better. In addition to leg machines at PT (adductor, abductor, leg extension, curl, and leg press,) lifting my legs lying down and on my side helped a lot - first with no weight, then 1lb weights and 3lbs weights. Good luck!