Scale fluctuation weirdness

Options
So a week ago when I weighed myself I was 103.2, stepped on the scale today and I was 103.4. I know this isnt a HUGE difference but I havent really been doing anything different, except I have been using weights on my arms/ crunch machine with 10lb weight at the gym. But I only started doing that almost a week ago. Does muscle add to the scale as well? I’m kinda new to all of this lol.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The scale is just measuring your weight, the weight of everything in you - fat, muscle, water, bone, digestive contents, organs, cartilage.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    my weight went up 3 pounds the day after a very salty meal; it was all water and after a day, it went back down. also if you eat bulky foods, they'll add weight to your weight until eliminated.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. Great information and advice in the posts above.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Did you know that bathroom scales have a randomness factor? That's because the sensors aren't that accurate. You aren't going to get accurate sensors with a $15 scale. It cost the manufacturer $5 to make the whole scale, and they're probably spending $1 on 4 sensors.

If you weigh yourself at the gym, you'll notice that daily fluctuations are less. That's because they use more accurate sensors. They also calibrate the scale annually (hopefully) using heavy weights of known value.

A while ago I was able to measure the accuracy of my bathroom scales, it was +/- 0.5 kg with smaller deviations more common.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »
    Did you know that bathroom scales have a randomness factor? That's because the sensors aren't that accurate. You aren't going to get accurate sensors with a $15 scale. It cost the manufacturer $5 to make the whole scale, and they're probably spending $1 on 4 sensors.

If you weigh yourself at the gym, you'll notice that daily fluctuations are less. That's because they use more accurate sensors. They also calibrate the scale annually (hopefully) using heavy weights of known value.

A while ago I was able to measure the accuracy of my bathroom scales, it was +/- 0.5 kg with smaller deviations more common.

My $20 bathroom scale is within. 100gm of the gym scale each time I weigh
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates every day. It has little to do with the amount of calories you ate the day before. Fat has to do with that.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    i'm too lazy to post the annoying fluctuations link...but i will anyway
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

ETA: i should learn to read the thread before posting. sorry kim.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Girl that is just pee.

Barely if that. It's more of a tinkle than anything.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Girl that is just pee.

Barely if that. It's more of a tinkle than anything.

Yup like a droplet.
    💧