Need healthy camping recipes

Options
SailorMoon007
SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
Hello my fellow MFPers!

My hubby and I are going camping over the long weekend, and I would love to get some healthy camping recipes to be done around the fire. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch! :drinker:

Replies

• QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    grilled veggies
    beans(high in protein)
    fresh fruit
    enjoy your camping trip :happy:
  • Tobefitalways
    Options
    Hi..I would make up some different kinds of kabobs (chicken or beef with green peppers, onions..potato or whatever you want to put on the kabob and just put on ice and they are ready to throw on the grill..Have fun!
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Baked apples! Core out apples, stuff butter & sprinkle cinnamon inside core. Wrap in tinfoil and throw into coals for a few minutes.

Boil chicken to grill - brush with honey mustard as opposed to bbq sauce to save calories.

If all else fails, granola bars, wasabi, cut veggies, etc.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Kabobs!!!!

They can be healthy or not....works for everyone camping with you.
  • fndlane
    fndlane Posts: 3
    Options
    Wrap chicken or lean beef with an assortment of veggies in foil and cook over fire or grill. Season lightly. Take plenty of healthy snacks like carrot and celery sticks and fruit. No rule says you have to do hamburgers and hotdogs when you camp. My hardest let go is chips. Choose low fat pretzels and whole grain chips if you have to have them.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wrap chicken or lean beef with an assortment of veggies in foil and cook over fire or grill. Season lightly.

Or fish! We always had fish cooked in foil packets!

Go buy the popcorn that you cook on the stovetop... Jiffy pop I think. Cook it over the campfire. Take whole sweet potatos and roast them in the warm coals. My dad used to do this at home in the fireplace.

You can also just eat whatever you want. You are camping! Go for a hike to work it off! :smile:
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Chicken skewer marinaded in a little oil, lemon, oregano, and pepper with home made tzaziki sauce (strain balkan style yogurt in cheese cloth to desired thickness) Then add lemon juice, shredded cucumber, and minced garlic. The amount of each ingredient goes with you desired taste......

Grilled veggies are great too, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, eggplant, season them as you like!

Almonds and trail mix, lots of fruit for snack!!

Have fun :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I often make my vegetarian chili ahead and freeze it. Just heat it up there. It is yummy and low calorie. Let me know if you need the recipe.
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Your ideas are excellent. I can't wait to try them out!
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We camp and backpack a lot, so I collect these kinds of recipes! I love the ready-made lentil madras that comes in vacuum-sealed yellow packets. And of course instant oatmeal for breakfast. Here's a few more complex ideas for dinner:

Fake Dahl Burritos

Dried curry lentil soup (available in bulk bins at the grocery store)
    Instant rice
    Tortillas
    Green onions, diced
    Raisins
    Red pepper, diced
    Coconut flakes
    Cilantro, chopped
    Jalapeno peppers, diced

Cook the rice and dried soup (use less water than what's called for, so the consistency is a dahl-like paste instead of soup). Fill tortillas with both, then add fresh toppings to taste.

Crunchy Tabbouleh

6-ounce box tabbouleh mix (including spice packet)
    1 small cucumber
    2 scallions
    1 carrot
    2 radishes
    1/2 cup broccoli florets
    4 sprigs parsley
    2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
    2 tablespoons olive oil

At home: Combine bulgur from tabbouleh mix with contents of spice packet; pack in a zipper-lock bag.

In camp: At breakfast, chop veggies and combine all ingredients in a leakproof container with 1 cup cold, filtered water. By lunchtime, the bulgur will be rehydrated and the salad will be ready to devour. Serve with tortillas. Serves 2.

Quick Potato Puffs

2 cups Mashed Potatoes
    1/8 cup Whole Kernel Corn (cooked)
    1/2 cup Shredded Chicken (cooked)
    Cooking Spray

Mix mashed potatoes, corn, and chicken in a bowl. Place a heavy frying pan, coated with cooking spray, on hot coals (or stove). Spoon 1 tbsp portions of potato mixture into frying pan. Fry until browned turning as needed. This makes a nice afternoon treat or a side dish at supper time.

And if you're up for a challenge, I think this one is from an old Backpacker Magazine issue. You'll probably want a stove for this one, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway :)

Backpackers’ Caribbean Pineapple Curry

Give your camp dinner a tropical flair.

1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
    1/2 onion, peeled
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon generic curry powder
    1 7-oz. pouch pre-cooked chicken breast (optional)
    1 mini bottle of rum
    1 snack container (4 oz.) pineapple chunks
    1 1/2 cups instant rice

At Home
    Combine jalapeno and garlic in a zip-top bag.

In Camp
    Add rum to chicken pouch and set aside to marinate. Slice garlic and onion. Boil 1 1/2 cups water, stir in rice, then cover. In a pot, heat oil and fry jalapeno and garlic for 30 seconds. Add onion, pepper, and curry. Stir for 3 minutes or until veggies soften. Add pineapple, rum, and chicken (if using) and cook till heated through. Pour over rice. Serves 2.

Enjoy!!