BED People over 50.

Options
Hi-My name is Linda and i am looking for people over 50 with Binge Eating Disorder. I have about 60 pounds to lose. I do my binges in secret and feel guilty and worthless after. We can all support each other and move forward.

Replies

• neob2015
    neob2015 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello, I'm 53 and am fighting BED as well. I also have apx 60 lbs to lose. I'm a nighttime binger, and I've gained all of these extra lbs in just 4 years. A recent back injury, that was probably not helped by my weight and lack of fitness has had me immobile for 7 mos, and that has not helped. I'm starting PT after surgery 3 weeks ago and looking forward to reclaiming my life.
  • lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most of my family have BED. I am doing well on MFP, but it is still a daily struggle, especially at night. Good luck with PT and MFP. I look forward to hearing from you again. I know we can change our lives with lots of support.
  • grammarn
    grammarn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed, but the eating amazing amounts alone with lots and lots of guilt sounds like me.I am 59. Lost a good deal of wt. with weight watchers, then after their last change of plan, just started gaining back...talk about guilt and shame... Recently(oct.) had total knee replacement. Back to work since January. I have seen that I am in control of what I eat, and yet not feeling that way lately. Looking for some emotional support.
  • joedelclos
    Options
    Find a hobby that requires a lot of focus. I play videogames frequently when I get a craving for junk food and it helps me avoid eating nasty things because I need to pay attention. Idk if that could help anyone else but it works for me!
  • lindabortner
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed either and your story sounds familiar. I was on weight watchers too and gained a lot of it back. When I binge, I feel guilty and ashamed. I had a total knee replacement 5 years ago. At least they are finally becoming aware of our eating disorder. Do not feel ashamed or guilty. We have a real eating disorder and we need to support each other. I am so happy that i am not alone. They have information and stories on the BEDA website.
  • kbmjohnson
    kbmjohnson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just started on SuperBetter and am trying to find some Allies! See SuperBetter on TED talks. It was motivating. I am 59 and as soon as I tell myself I am going to diet.... I binge and gain more. I liked the idea of challenges presented on the site and it is free. Be my ally. Thanks

Kbmjohnson
  • lindabortner
    Options
    Thank You everyone for your kind words and advice.
  • lindabortner
    Options
    I am still fighting the urge to binge, But i am losing weight and binge eating less. I am still looking for help with my disorder.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi. Have you spoken to anyone on a professional basis about this? Maybe start with your health care professional. Binge eating might be a symptom of something deeper. Getting an objective set of eyes on things can sometimes be a game changer. Just trying to manage the symptoms, on your own, may not get to the root issue. Leaving the door open to relapses and a continued downward spiral. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale.

Good luck with your journey!