Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe

Options
birdlover97111
birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
Hey everyone...
I am looking for a healthy zucchini bread recipe...My plant is going crazy and unfortunately, people lock their car doors around here...lol....I would like one that is low fat, low calorie and still tasty...Thanks..!!... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in finding one too. I have a few zucchini plants growing.
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Gina at skinnytaste.com has some great zucchini recipes:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3033354159786444:n94dmhv84ah&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=zucchini&sa=Search&siteurl=www.skinnytaste.com/

Her low-fat chocolate chip zucchini bread is already pretty healthy. I never pass on chocolate so I would keep it in but you could leave out the chocolate to make it even healthier.
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    eatbetteramerica.com has some wonderful healthy recipes of all kinds.

Zucchini Bread

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:2 hr 35 min
    makes:2 loaves (12 slices each)

2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup fat-free egg product or 3 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottoms only of 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
    2. In large bowl, mix zucchini, applesauce, oil, egg product, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Stir in all remaining ingredients except walnuts until well blended. Stir in walnuts. Spoon batter evenly into pans.
    3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

1 Slice: Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 170mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 14g); Protein 3g.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I do not do low fat, but if it is really healthy you want, swap your flour for milled flax seed. It's all fiber and healthy fats, and then I use xylitol instead of sugar and it's sugar free too. But not low fat.

2 cups milled flax seed
    5 eggs (you can use whites or egg beaters if you prefer)
    1/4 cup oil I use coconut oil
    1/2 cup xylitol (or 3/4 to 1 c. Splenda) do not use equal to bake really shouldn't use it ever IMO
    1 tbsp baking powder (not soda)
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 cup grated zucchini (or fruit or carrot)
    Spices to taste 1tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla, anything you like in your bread.

This makes 24+ mini muffins, 2 loaves, or 12 + regular muffins.

Cook for 25-60 minutes depending on what size you are baking at 350F you want it to get browned I think muffins do best because they cook the most evenly. They will be very moist int he middle when done and become more solid as they cool. I keep mine in the fridge for 2 weeks.

You can add the recipe under the recipe function and then put in the number of servings you make it for counts.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    bump:love:
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe that I have substituted some more healthy ingredients in. My kids(including the my self-professed veggie hater 12-yr-old) love it. I'm not sure about the nutrition info.

The equivalent of 3 eggs in Egg beaters 1 c whole wheat flour
    2 c sugar 1 tsp salt
    1/2 c oil 1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 c apple sauce 1/4 tsp baking powder
    2 c grated, peeled zucchini 1 TBSP cinnamon
    1 TBSP vanilla 1 c coarsley chopped walnuts
    2 c all-purpose flour

Mix egg beaters, sugar, oil, apple sauce, zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon and add to egg-zucchini mix. Stir until well blended and add nuts. Pour into 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans (I usually make muffins instead. Freeze very well). Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. I have been wanting to try using 1 c sugar and 1 c splena but haven't had the nerve yet. ENJOY!
    Cathy
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I finally found an incredible low fat zucchini and carrot bread recipe that is possibly the best zucchini bread I've ever made, and even the kids say so!

Fact is, just because a recipe has zucchni in it, it isn't automatically healthy. This is taken from this site that explains what a typical recipe looks like and why this one is healthier. http://www.womenandweight.com/weight-management/weight-loss/healthy-zucchini-bread-low-calorie-too/

Zucchini carrot bread (low fat) (I put it in the data base).

1 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
    ½ cup whole wheat flour
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 and ½ tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. ground ginger
    1 egg, beaten
    ½ cup applesauce
    1 cup grated zucchini
    ½ cup grated carrots
    ½ cup pecans (optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
    2. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger in a large bowl.
    3. Add the beaten egg, applesauce, grated zucchini, and grated carrots in a small bowl and mix well.
    4. Combine the flour and liquid mixture and blend till the dry ingredients are moistened but not over mixed.
    5. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan or a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and add the batter.
    6. Bake about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

The nutrient breakdown:

141 calories per slice; 12 in a loaf (a little more if you use 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
    4.1 grams of fat
    0.4 grams of saturated fat
    150 mg of sodium
    12.3 grams of sugar
    2.1 grams of dietary fiber

The recipe doubles easily. I wrap half slices and freeze them to take to lunch.
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A photo of this bread is on my profile page photos. Just warning you that I used purple carrots so that explains the blue spots in the slices. :)
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here's one from Clean Eating Magazine that I've been meaning to try. It's called Whole-grain Zucchini Apple Bread

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Whole-Grain-Zucchini-Apple-Bread.aspx

And the Eating Well website has a number of different zucchini bread/muffin recipes as well, just do a search.
  • Heather3186
    Options
    thanks for posting!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Val_91
    Val_91 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump
  • Pattywack74
    Pattywack74 Posts: 88
    Options
    bump,,,thanks
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Sooooo good and high in protein too!!! If u don't want to use protein powered u don't have to...and without the protein they would be very very low cal!! I can't live without these things!!!
    I omitted the carrots...and only used a 1/4 cup flour and substituted the other 1/2 cup with protein...no nuts...and They came to 100 cals a pop! Oh and I did add the cocoa powder!! Soooo good

zucchini carrot muffins: (around 115 calories a muffin with 1 scoop of optiumum nutrition whey protein powder)
    makes 9 muffins

3/4 cup oat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    a pinch of salt
    1tsp. of vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon or more of cinnamon
    1 pinch of nutmeg
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1/2 cup of no sugar added applesauce
    1 egg
    1/4 cup truvia or stevia (i use truvia) for a less sweeter muffin or 1/2 cup if you like them sweeter
    1/2 cup grated zucchini
    1/4 cup grated carrot
    1/4 cup of oat bran
    1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
    1/4 to 1/2 cup of water (add a little at 1st until the consistancy is okay)

*top with a sprinkle of oats and cinnamon

**optional: add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1 or 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, all natural dark chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds** these all will change the calorie count of course

the chocolate zucchini muffins are pretty much the same. i just got rid of the carrot and grated 1 med. zucchini. added 1 or 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder(which i think i might leave out next time unless i add dark chocolate chips) and i added 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. and didnt add the protein powder to these. the calorie count on these were about the same, maybe a few calories less.

preheat oven to 350 degress

sift oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg(sift a few times)

in another bowl whisk the egg, truvia, oil, applesauce, zucchini & carrot. mix in the flour mixture then add the oat bran & walnuts.
    spray pay with non stick spray or use muffin liners(i did this) and fill them all about the same. 3/4 way full. then bake 12-18minutes(mine varied both times) just keep an eye on them and a toothpick handy :)
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for future reference as we have zucchini plants growing, too. Thanks! : )