ED Recovery

Options
beatlcmania
beatlcmania Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’ve been struggling with Bulimia for just over a year now and have been trying to recover. It’s hard to break the cycle of binging, purging, fasting, and restricting.
Are there any tips or ways that can help me feel more comfortable with myself and not care about my body image or what I’m eating?

Replies

• 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I have no advice to give, only words of encouragement and I am so happy for you that are trying and trying to find help

Praying for strength and health
    {{❤Hugs❤}}
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi there. Well done you for tackling your bulimia. Some things that MAY help are:

- getting a full health check up
    - tackling the black and white mindset that goes with the illness
    - stop punishing yourself for eating by purging/restricting (this always ends in failure)
    - using my fitness pal as a tool for eating healthily ie to maintenance
    - stop expecting perfection from yourself. No body is perfect
    - find an exercise/sport/activity that you enjoy doing. do it for fun, strength or health not for weight loss
    - try and think back to how things were before you had bulimia and know that you can be there again
    - consider medication for depression/anxiety/obsessive thought processes if these exist
    - consider counselling or a support group
    - reward yourself for your successes and downplay the slip ups (these will happen)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    From the MFP resources page:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

I wish I had more to offer other than encouragement, but the fact that you have identified it and are looking to make changes is a good thing. Stay positive and get things back on track. There are quite a few people here on MFP that have had to deal with ED's so hopefully you will get more feedback that helps you along.
  • ChelseaBits
    ChelseaBits Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with bulimia since I was a teen, so about 20 years now. Last year it was at an all time high for me and I had to take a very hard look at myself. I was the heaviest I’d ever been while at the same time binging and purging more often than ever before. The weight gain for me went hand in hand with bulimia. In the last 9 months I have been very strict about my diet, some people who don’t know my struggles with bulimia think that I’m too strict, but it’s what works for me. I have a very set breakfast and lunch, my snacks I allow myself are almonds, cucumbers or frozen banana slices, and dinners are measured out so I don’t over eat. I have slipped a handful of times in the last 9 months, but it’s always been when I can’t stick to my routine, if the family is going to a buffet or something else crazy. I do remind myself anytime I do cheat and have a tiny dessert that it takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound and so the 300 calories I might have eaten over what I’m supposed to is not going to break me. In changing my mindset and tracking everything I feel the best I ever have and have lost 86 pounds in a healthy way so hopefully it will stay off for good this time.
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with bulimia since I was a teen, so about 20 years now. Last year it was at an all time high for me and I had to take a very hard look at myself. I was the heaviest I’d ever been while at the same time binging and purging more often than ever before. The weight gain for me went hand in hand with bulimia. In the last 9 months I have been very strict about my diet, some people who don’t know my struggles with bulimia think that I’m too strict, but it’s what works for me. I have a very set breakfast and lunch, my snacks I allow myself are almonds, cucumbers or frozen banana slices, and dinners are measured out so I don’t over eat. I have slipped a handful of times in the last 9 months, but it’s always been when I can’t stick to my routine, if the family is going to a buffet or something else crazy. I do remind myself anytime I do cheat and have a tiny dessert that it takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound and so the 300 calories I might have eaten over what I’m supposed to is not going to break me. In changing my mindset and tracking everything I feel the best I ever have and have lost 86 pounds in a healthy way so hopefully it will stay off for good this time.

Hi just like you iv had eating disorder for over 30 years finally diagnosed with bulimia last year did go to CBT therapy did okish but now slipping back into bad habits of restricting counting every calorie exercising for at least 1hour 5-6 days cannot seem to get out of this vicious cycle.
    My daughter had a serious conversation with me about how thin I look and that they are concerned about me.
    At the moment it's not making me change my ways not sure what would make me change. I'm beinging to think I'm a very selfish self centered person not who I really am.
    Not sure what's happening with me😣😣😣