Why can't I use the elliptical?!

Options
I can spend as long as I want on the treadmill without issues including using incline, I have no issues with leg days at the gym and have been upping the weight on a regular basis, but as soon as I get on an elliptical my quads start to hurt and my left knee screams in pain. The most I can go until my knee demands I stop is 6 minutes. I don't get it at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    it could be the angle that the eliptical requires that your knee bends. I have to be careful on stairs sometimes because at a particular rise/run ratio, my knee doesn't function. There's a stairwell in my building with that ratio, so I just have to avoid that staircase.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same issue minus the pain. I would just get exhausted even though I could do a great workout on a treadmill or glider.

I can't say the reason for your pain. Hopefully, someone else will be able to help with that. 💟
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The elliptical is an unnatural movement. That thing blows.

Agreed. I hate the elliptical with the passion most people reserve for hating the treadmill.

Just don't use it.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The elliptical kills my lower back! I'd rather run or walk.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I can't ride the elliptical either. I am short, and it seems that my stride doesn't conform with the move of the elliptical. I can work in the ARC Fitness without a problem, while other people at the gym can't take more than 5 minutes in that equipment.

I used to work in the treadmill for ever at a very steep incline until I had my knee replacement surgery. Not anymore; a couple of minutes in the treadmill make my new and old knee scream.
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have more than one style elliptical? Ours has several, but I can only use one without my bum knee giving me major issues.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have always hated the elliptical. Thought there was something wrong with me!!! I was happy to see these other posts - know now I am not alone :)
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical with a fiery passion mainly because it kicks my butt. Even when I was in top physical shape I found it difficult to stay on longer than 20 minutes. It makes my quads feel like lead weights, and it used to make my knees feel achy (not any longer). I remembered some advice I was given that helped-don’t use any incline or resistance at first, build up the time slowly, and watch your form/posture. I recently decided to get back to the elliptical because I felt the need for more intense cardio; in the last two weeks I’ve gone from dying after 2 minutes and am now up to 17 minutes/1.7 miles. I did this by adding a minute or a few tenths of a mile at a time. My knees don’t ache and my quads are feeling less heavy. I am persisting with the elliptical because I have a chronic case of Plantar Fasciitis and the elliptical is easier on my feet than the walking that I prefer. I also wondered why the elliptical was so tough for me and came to the conclusion, perhaps erroneously, that it is because it targets muscle imbalances or weaknesses I have from years of doing exercises I prefer (walking, kayaking, cycling, weights/KBs). I have to say that after two weeks of doing this I feel really good, my posture is better and I weirdly feel “looser” is the best way I can describe it. I am going to keep adding time and distance slowly and work up to 30 minutes, this machine will not beat me. ;)
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical. I use my elliptical. I don't love my elliptical. I agree, the movement seems to be unnatural. It's like playing 'whack-a-mole' with your feet. I've worked up to doing 30 minutes on the elliptical. I can run a 5k, I can jump rope for 10 minutes without stopping. Some days I'd like to light my elliptical on fire.........
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    After my second knee surgery trying to piece together my right knee years ago, my knee surgeon said how much he hated the Elliptical. My right knee doesn't hurt from walking, rowing, Stairmasters, lifting or biking. I get on the Elliptical and I can't walk the next day. It is a very unnatural movement and it puts great stress on your knees.

I also agree with others. Some models are worse than others. I just find the thing useless. Terrible cardio workout and I don't care for it either.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    I have a NordicTrack CX 938, no knee issues so can’t relate to having knee pain. I can see how it could become problematic. I’m the odd one, love my elliptical.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Since you "can spend as long as I want on the treadmill without issues including using incline, I have no issues with leg days at the gym and have been upping the weight on a regular basis" the WHY you can't use the elliptical is merely a curiosity. As long as there are no other problems with your workout, don't use the elliptical. It seems that it doesn't like you. that's OK.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think the motion just takes a bit of getting used to, but if it doesn't work for you just switch to other equipment. I started out on the treadmill but found that the elliptical was a much faster way to get my heart-rate up/burn my calories. I also find that my feet hurt less when I use the elliptical. Bike gives me a sore butt, step machine is scary and also not great for the knees. I've lost 31kg using the elliptical and a variety of other cardio activities and strength training - no injuries so far touch wood - so am a big fan.

On top of that, I use it to think, listen to music and also audiobooks given that I'm doing the goodreads reading challenge this year. With the help of the audiobooks I've been listening to on the elliptical, I'm now on 83 books out of 100 this year.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was the only one! I just can't do it for some reason and could never figure out why
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and find that I can't use ellipticals unless they are adjustable and I can make the stride at least 21 inches. If it's shorter than that I can't stay on it. I find most non-adjustable ellipticals have strides shorter than that. So see if you can find an adjustable one and play with the stride length to see if that helps.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,797 Member
    Options
    The problem with ellipticals is that they put a load on your joints thru the complete range of motion - unlike a treadmill or running. I have a torn meniscus and ellipticals hurt my knee a lot.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a professional athlete on elliptical ?? I haven't.

Some probably have trained on one.... dunno, however..... they don't seem popular with elite athletes.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I experience the same on elliptical and on traditional stationary bikes. I have no issues with treadmill or with recumbent bike.
  • BachataDancer
    BachataDancer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I only use the elliptical for the backwards walking motion. If your elliptical is able to move that way, try it. It's a good butt workout.