Cutting carbs = increasing fat? =/

Options
2»

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I do try to eat very little processed food. I'd personally drop the American cheese for some yummy cheddar - tastes 100 times better! And I'd forgo pepperoni for uncured bacon.

I have found Hormel Natural Uncured bacon. It tastes delicious. I eat some blue and feta cheese on occasion and I stick with natural cheeses. I have some issues with dairy but the cheese does better for me than milk. I have to buy conventional meat (i.e. grain-fed meat) so I buy lean and add fat. But I eat whole eggs! I would never just do egg whites (3 cage free eggs w/ Omega-3s and 4 bacon slices for breakfast).
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I started eating low carb. It's hard to get used to the idea of a high fat diet, especially when you are so used to hearing that fat is bad for you. After a few days, the idea becomes easier to grasp, I promise =)
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have found Hormel Natural Uncured bacon. It tastes delicious. I eat some blue and feta cheese on occasion and I stick with natural cheeses. I have some issues with dairy but the cheese does better for me than milk. I have to buy conventional meat (i.e. grain-fed meat) so I buy lean and add fat. But I eat whole eggs! I would never just do egg whites (3 cage free eggs w/ Omega-3s and 4 bacon slices for breakfast).

I eat the Hormel natural bacon too! In fact, the kids now revolt if I bring home Oscar Meyer center cut (my old standby). I try to minimize cheese - it's more of a condiment for me.

Thinking of buying part of a cow (grass-fed), but need to figure out where to put it!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Don't do it!!! lol.

I did he whole cutting carbs completely and ate the high fat diet...... yeah.... no bueno..... ended up with gallstones. :grumble:

This is a common misconception. Gallstones take time to develop so your higher fat diet didn’t cause them. Your lower fat diet actually caused them because on lower fat diets your gallbladder does not get sufficient use which allows bile to sit inside and remain unused for longer periods of time. The gallstones just became noticeable when you went on a high fat diet because of the extra work your gallbladder had to do.

I have done significant amounts of research on this because my doc wanted to yank my gallbladder because it was inflamed and “low functioning”. I have since switched to a high fat, Paleo diet and guess what, my inflammation/pain is gone and I am willing to bet that my ejection fraction will increase over time as well. So, don’t knock high fat diets, the general understanding of dietary fat is wildly wrong in most cases.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Elimination diets may help you lose weight fast, but that weightloss usually isn't long term. A healthy diet has carbs, fat, and protein. Don't be scared of fat or carbs, your body needs them.

Carbs should be 45%-65% or your total calories.
    Protein should be 10%-35% of your total calories.
    Fat should be 20%-35% of your total calories.

For carbs, stick to whole grains. And make sure your fats do not include trans fats. Hope that helps!
  • susanswan
    Options
    Elimination diets may help you lose weight fast, but that weightloss usually isn't long term. A healthy diet has carbs, fat, and protein. Don't be scared of fat or carbs, your body needs them.

Carbs should be 45%-65% or your total calories.
    Protein should be 10%-35% of your total calories.
    Fat should be 20%-35% of your total calories.

For carbs, stick to whole grains. And make sure your fats do not include trans fats. Hope that helps!

My mind just keeps telling me: "Everything in moderation". Except for obvious junk food and chemical additives. I try to limit processed food as much as I can and as much as my schedule allows.

But, to each his own. Everyone has to find their way. I guess that is what makes the world go 'round! Good luck to you.

And about the other post of Gallstones: I learned years ago in nursing that gallstones were mainly for women who fit the categories of : Fair, Fat, 40 years old. Not an expert by any means, just what I was taught in the early 80's. Could be outdated thinking by now for sure, but just saying.
  • susanswan
    Options
    Don't do it!!! lol.

I did he whole cutting carbs completely and ate the high fat diet...... yeah.... no bueno..... ended up with gallstones. :grumble:

This is a common misconception. Gallstones take time to develop so your higher fat diet didn’t cause them. Your lower fat diet actually caused them because on lower fat diets your gallbladder does not get sufficient use which allows bile to sit inside and remain unused for longer periods of time. The gallstones just became noticeable when you went on a high fat diet because of the extra work your gallbladder had to do.

I have done significant amounts of research on this because my doc wanted to yank my gallbladder because it was inflamed and “low functioning”. I have since switched to a high fat, Paleo diet and guess what, my inflammation/pain is gone and I am willing to bet that my ejection fraction will increase over time as well. So, don’t knock high fat diets, the general understanding of dietary fat is wildly wrong in most cases.

Greg - Excellent research, as always!
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I eat the Hormel natural bacon too! In fact, the kids now revolt if I bring home Oscar Meyer center cut (my old standby). I try to minimize cheese - it's more of a condiment for me.

Thinking of buying part of a cow (grass-fed), but need to figure out where to put it!

Thank you both for the tip about Hormel Natural Uncured Bacon! I had never heard of it or noticed it at the store. I will definitely be looking around to see if any of my local stores carry it. I hope it's not something that is only available in big cities.

I was lucky enough to find a local farmer and get a 1/4 of beef just a couple of weeks ago. It took up about a third of my chest freezer in the basement. The meat is the best I've ever eaten in my life. :-)
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! lol.

I have to agree with you on this one. My gallbladder was perfect until I spent 18 months on a low-fat diet several years ago. Before I had any clue that I could "fix" it myself with a different diet, I had mine removed. Even the surgeon agreed it was likely caused by my low-fat diet kick. It is becoming common knowledge that "dieting" (the typical low-fat diet) stresses the gallbladder. I wish I had known that before I dieted my way to the operating table.