Feeling full on 1800 cals ?

Options
FitDiva1993
FitDiva1993 Posts: 36 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have my weightloss set to half a pound a week (lightly active) and I eat back most of my excercise calories because I’m tryna gain muscle/keep muscle and burn fat. Anyways I’ve been feeling pretty full, I’ve always associated weight loss with some sort of hunger. I know I’m doing it the slow way but is this a sign I should lower it a bit ? I’ve only been doing it for 3 days so the scale is useless and I’m trying not to focus on it

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It’s what you’re eating not the calories in food the equates to feeling full.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    Instead of second guessing yourself, as long as you’re weighing carefully (and it appears you’re eating mindfully), congratulate yourself on your success and be thankful for small blessings.

I’ve graduated from a flat 1400 to 2000 daily (increased at the advice of my trainer) and I workout extensively. I’ve lost about 75 pounds and have seldom felt ravenously hungry. Usually, when I am, I’m really just dehydrated anyway.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In my experience, a meal that “hits all the tastebuds” is more filling than 3x the food that only hits some.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I find at the beginning of eating healthy or starting a diet I never feel hungry enough to eat all my set calories. Usually within a few days I settle into my calorie limit.

As others have mentioned it’s probably because the healthy foods are much more filling than the chips, cookies, processed food I would eat if I wasn’t being mindful.

Though I always have odd days when I’m very hungry and eat more and days when I’m not hungry at all so eat less.
  • supercallafraga
    supercallafraga Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i'm more often than not short on protein. however,when i hit my goals on that, even if i'm below my daily target of 1500 - i am satiated.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I found today’s breakfast was the most full I have felt in a looong time. It’s also the highest level of protein and the lowest carbs I’ve had since I started. Im going to try this again tomorrow. 1fcbyb8kqs4z.png
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    As others note, feeling full and satisfied is largely about what you eat, rather than just how much you eat. In fact the "what" question can impact hunger even more than the "how much" question.

A 1,200 calorie trip to McDonalds is nowhere near as filling two hours later as a nice slab of meat thrown on a grill and a side salad with healthy olive oil in the dressing. or some fiber-rich vegetables, for 1/2 or less of the cals of going to McDonalds.

The very act of starting a diet usually, for most people, entails eating healthier and cutting back on junky processed food containing empty calories. Thus one immediately feels less hungry -- on less food, right out of the gate on Day 1.

My calorie target is similar to yours. I'm a big guy (getting smaller though!) and I am hardly ever hungry. I've got my macros locked down tight to what I need in order to feel full and satisfied, and I just rinse and repeat the formula day after day.

For me, anyway:

Protein, fiber, fat, unrefined/whole carbs (in roughly that order) = filling

Processed junky foods, sugar, refined carbs (e.g. white bread) = not filling
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    In my experience, a meal that “hits all the tastebuds” is more filling than 3x the food that only hits some.

Amen! 🍻
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »

Oh, yes - this is Thai food for me. The Thai beef salad I make is under 400 calories and keeps me full for hours.

When I get a Thai chicken and noodle dish from a restaurant, I add veggies and can usually get three servings out of it.

I adapt this into a single serving, @ 400 calorie meal: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229270/spicy-rice-noodle-salad/
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The only thought I have is your activity level set accurately? I thought I was light activity,until I actually read the definition. I had to change to sedentary, which lowered my calorie allotment a bit.