Night shift nurse/logging food/can’t stay on track

Options
Hello MFP friends, I am having the hardest time staying consistent with eating healthy and not binge eating. I also have a hard time staying consistent with exercising. I love to run, but find I fall off the wagon many times because “I’m tired” or “out of time”. I also started strength training too (weights). Any night shift nurses have any success stories? Feeling like I’m set up for failure here. I need to loose a good 20lbs. I ate like crap last night at work. I’m getting tired of falling off....

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Would it help if you stopped worrying so much about eating "healthy" and just started with "calorie appropriate "?

Just start logging your food, whatever it is, and trying to hit your calorie goal.

I'm not a nurse, so no idea if this is possible, but can you plan ahead to bring meals or snacks, or do you just need to catch something to eat as you can?

With 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose an avg of 1 lb per week, so don't try to do more and just keep crashing & burning.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. It helps, and obviously good for you regardless, but all you need is a calorie deficit. So just do what you can! Run when the mood strikes. On days you're too tired, try to just take a 10 minute walk, that may help you build up the habit of doing something, and over time it may improve.

Hopefully others with more experience with your job and schedule will come by. But baby steps are fine :smile:
  • BonnieDLG
    BonnieDLG Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I truly appreciate your advice. I may possibly be “crashing and burning”.
    Yes, it is est and run a lot of times.
    I have not meal prepped, not sure why, I guess because it’s new and never make time for it.
    I think my problem with logging food consistently is because I like to munch and graze, and then I loose track of what I ate.
    Have you tried the premium MFP? I wonder if it is beneficial.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did the night shifts and successfully lost about 50lbs. It's all in the mindset.
    I logged my food based on time block, (0000-0600, 0600-1100 and so on)
    I worked 12 hour shifts, so I only worked out on days off. 12 hours on a nursing floor was enough of a workout.
    I also learned to "block out" co-workers and their gossip. Helped with keeping focused on myself and my plan.
    Our cafeteria was closed at night so it was helpful to bring all my own food. Left my wallet at home so I could easily decline if the group wanted to do a McDonald's run.
    Sometimes on my break or a good night, I would just walk the hospital for a bit of extra excercise
    It's very doable if you make up your mind to do it.
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    Thank you! How inspiring. I just changed my MFP food entry names to 0000-0900 0900-1700 1700-0000.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    BonnieDLG wrote: »
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I truly appreciate your advice. I may possibly be “crashing and burning”.
    Yes, it is est and run a lot of times.
    I have not meal prepped, not sure why, I guess because it’s new and never make time for it.
    I think my problem with logging food consistently is because I like to munch and graze, and then I loose track of what I ate.
    Have you tried the premium MFP? I wonder if it is beneficial.

No, I pretty much only ever paid attention to calories (with protein and fiber secondary ) and I didn't think any of the premium functions would help me do that :smile:

I found getting into the habit of logging it before I eat it was really helpful, whenever possible.
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I am a noc Nurse as well. I've managed to lose 20lbs in the last two months. What works for me is bringing a prepared meal to work that consists of high protein, lots of veggies, and a small portion of carbohydrates. I usually eat around 2300 and am full until 0600 when I drink a muscle milk. I usually have some protein and fruit before I start my shift. I haven't started a exercise program yet other than walking. But I find it easier to avoid snacking on junk food when I have plenty of protein on board.
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    Ok thanks. I guess I need to start prepping my foods. Do you prep at home too? Or at all?
  • AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Night shift nurse here too. I'm prn so I actually don't eat meals at night. I bring a protein shake and several healthy baggies of snacks to graze on. When I worked full time, my diary was also in blocks of time and I mainly focused on calorie limits on the nights I worked rather than spectacular nutrition. I also did my best to stick to what I brought instead of what was laying around the unit. Also packed a decent amount of snacks then. It's just easier for me to snack on nightshift than to eat a full meal and feel exhausted.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Im a day shift nurse that just got a 2nd job on nights. I planned out my meals like I do on day shift. I don't usually eat before work, have a protein shake on my first break, then have lunch etc. I prep all my veggies before my stretch of days that I work. They are all cut up and ready to go in the fridge. I try to drink enough water and get enough sleep
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    True, and now there is donuts and cookies in the break room 😭
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    True, and now there is donuts and cookies in the break room 😭

You can have those things if you plan them into your total calories. Unless they set off a binge. But sometimes allowing yourself one of something will make you feel like you're not being deprived.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you graze, I’d plan for that—portion and log “grazeable” foods to bring with you and then you don’t have to worry about logging them as you go. Prepping and packing doesn’t mean it has to be a “meal”—a variety of healthy things you can graze on works just as well!
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I guess I need to start prepping my foods. Do you prep at home too? Or at all?

Yes I make dinner for my family but prepare enough to last 2 or 3 meals. If I'm on 3 in a row and not cooking for the household I make myself a meal for the night in the morning when I get off. That usually consists of chicken, or salmon grilled or frozen veggies, and rice. My breakfast is usually always Muscle Milk which is filling (160 calories and 25g protein). Finally I take fruit so I have something sweet to snack on if I want it.
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    HazelMayes wrote: »
    If you graze, I’d plan for that—portion and log “grazeable” foods to bring with you and then you don’t have to worry about logging them as you go. Prepping and packing doesn’t mean it has to be a “meal”—a variety of healthy things you can graze on works just as well!

Thanks never thought about doing it ahead of time.
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    Ok thank you everyone.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Thanks never thought about doing it ahead of time.

I’m a SAHM but have special needs kids so I spend a LOT of time taking them to appointments and therapies and there are plenty of days I need food for all of us that we can graze on because we may not be able to fit a meal in between appointments if one runs long. I can portion out into a divided container and log mine and be ready for the day :) sometimes I portion out my stuff at home, too, because it makes it easier to grab the container and eat and already know exactly what is in there (plus I can create a recipe or meal with it for quick logging)
  • cheriepi
    cheriepi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work overnights in a hospital and I’m finding it very hard to get myself on a routine that works, especially since so have to switch back and forth to a day schedule every week. I am glad to see people are able to lose weight on this schedule though! I’m struggling just to set regular meal times and get proper sleep, much less exercise! 😞 But I already lost 100 lbs a few years ago and just lost my steam (but didn’t gain any back 🙂) so trying to lose another 50 now. I like the idea of exercise at work here and there. Thinking of bringing a resistance band since I work mostly alone in admissions all night. 🤷‍♀️