Heat & exercise

Hi everyone
A bit of advice needed
The temperature outside is now 33°c & it's too hot for me to even go outside! (I like 16-18°c)
I usually run with a friend but have recently had bad reactions to meds and so have ran for 2 weeks.
I'm due to resume tomorrow but is it safe to do so? Our route is not shaded but we always have water.
What is the maximum temperature you all run in?

Replies

• Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Sorry that should read "haven't ran for 2 weeks"
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't run anymore as my goals have changed but I use to run as low as -17 celcius. I just dressed appropriately with gear that would work away the sweat and protect the skin. With heat I would just hydrate and pace myself according to my lifestyle. I probably was out out in 35 celcius a few times. I would usually hit trails in the forest to keep out of direct sun the whole time.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    I don't run but i workout at midnights cuz the weather is cooler. I found it good so far.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I'm a cool weather runner, but I like to run races and they dont cancel them just because its hot/cold/raining

Make sure you dress appropriately, for me in this heat that means shorts and crop top with plenty of suncream.

Make sure you put something like vaseline or bodyglide anywhere that may chafe (I also carry a little pot with me).

Hydrate well the day before, and see if you can plot a route that takes you past shops that sell water (or carry a bottle).

Theres an app that gives locations of places that will refill your water for free, cant remember what it's called.

If you can go out earlier (I ran at 6am today and it was only 14 degrees, couple hours later it was 25) or later (after 9pm).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I couldn't run in hot weather either, it bothers me to walk huge distances when it hot and humid - I always admire those who can run in those conditions.
    I workout indoors when its hot out.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    I run in the heat - it's pretty unavoidable in the south. Probably the hottest temps I've run in have had heat indexes around 100F or so. The key isn't just to bring water with you - it's to stay hydrated all the time. Drink more water and/or electrolytes throughout the day, every day. Drink while you run. Drink after you run. And listen to your body if you don't feel well when you're running.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    It's hot and humid where i live, with actual temp is like yours, 33°, and "feels like" temp 45°. I'm not a runner, but cyclist. I don't have any issue with the heat, i guess I'm acclimated well to it by now. I think you should be careful and either go later in the day when it's on the downslope for the temperature, or earlier. And listen to your body, it could be dangerous if you are not used to it. Start getting into it again gradually, maybe be prepared to walk at times, depends on your friend too, of course, and your tolerance and fitness level. Have water with you ti stay hydrated. Also, i find that workout gear that has long sleeves but designed for heat is better than wearing tank tops. You get sun protection and cooling effect from it. I have arm sleeves for that to pair with my jerseys. Best investment, imo.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    33C=91F. My personal criteria over 86F (30C) I don't run outdoors, particularly when the humidity is high. 86 and over, to the gym and the Dreadmill.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Go out before dawn or at or after sunset. If you can't, then drive to a place where you'll have shade. It makes a big difference. Running in the moonlight can be fun, the world looks so different in the dark.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    I can’t stand the heat, I wouldn’t run at that temperature. Last summer I missed a few runs because it was really hot, but this summer has been better. I try to get out first thing in the morning, and run through the woods if it’s sunny.
    I would probably make more effort to adapt to the heat if I lived in a hot country, but in the U.K. it’s only a problem for a few days every year!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi everyone
    A bit of advice needed
    The temperature outside is now 33°c & it's too hot for me to even go outside! (I like 16-18°c)
    I usually run with a friend but have recently had bad reactions to meds and so have ran for 2 weeks.
    I'm due to resume tomorrow but is it safe to do so? Our route is not shaded but we always have water.

The heat should help you to correctly slow down as one should when you haven't run for 2 weeks.

Also, ditto to just hydrated prior and all the time - enough water to just wet the tongue - if tons of sweating which normally includes electrolytes, drinking too much water could actually cause some ill effects.

If actually a longer run - then sports drink more useful to replace those.

I've done half-marathon training for a 70.3 tri during Jul/Aug no issue just being smart - and that was evening runs, not even cool mornings. So it was 33 C and higher and humidity bad, so Heat Index well above.

ETA - (oh, FYI - you can edit a post up to 60 min later for corrections/additions)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hi everyone
    A bit of advice needed

Depends on what you're acclimated to. 33C is about 91F...where I live, that would be a relatively mild summer afternoon temperature. 35C (95F) is pretty much my cutoff and it's hotter than that most summer days here, so I'm up early in the AM to get on my bike.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Had you been running as the temperature gradually increased prior to the 2 weeks, or did it suddenly get hot?

For me, part of how I do exercising in heat is related to conditioning to it gradually, i.e., I can handle more intensity/duration in the heat if I've been working out in gradually warmer weather. I don't run, I row (on water in our warm season), but it's also a potentially intense CV exercise. I do take it easier if it's really hot/humid, guided by how I feel. (Rowing in the shade is not an option, and true night-time also a bad plan.)

+1 of course to hydrating properly, picking cooler times of day if possible, lower intensity in the heat, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I run in pretty much all weather but I feel you about the heat. Slow down, drink more water and consider electrolyte replacement if it's a longer run. FWIW this year I had my first DNF in over 10 years of racing ever due to the heat, a shiny little medal just wasn't worth getting heat stroke over.

Do you have the option of getting out really early in the morning when it's a little cooler? It's going to get close to 30C today but was around 15C when I was out at 6AM this morning...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    My suggestion is to avoid running in that kind of heat if you're not used to it. Early or late runs are much more comfortable.

If you do run, the suggestions about staying hydrated and replacing electrolytes are key, particularly during longer efforts. Sports drinks can help there.

Finally, as @icemom011 suggests, cooling sleeves provide both sun protection and a cooling effect, as does wearing a light colored mesh hat. You can cold splash water on it, or put a cold wet sponge under the hat to help your head stay cool.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I am not a runner and I have never been or will, regardless of the weather (heat or cold). Our summers are extremely hot (So. Ca desert), with day time temps of 110F (43 C?) and above (reached 117 and 120 couple days in July), and even if our humidity is very low compared with the rest of the US and beyond, is very hot to workout outside. The sun is very strong, and the heat feels like needles piercing the skin sometimes.

I used to play tennis very early in the morning to avoid the summer heat, but the older I get the harder is for me to deal with extreme heat or cold temperatures. I don't even walk outside anymore until the temperature is below 90F. But I can do garden work because I can take breaks in a shady area, and keep myself hydrated.

I admire those people that can run or walk in extreme temperatures. I am not one of them. So OP, please pace yourself, hydrate and be wise. Don't try to be summer heat warrior.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    5am club regardless in temperature. The only thing that keeps me inside are thunder and lightning storms.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I live where it rarely gets below 20C in winter and usually 47-50c in summer. Best to hydrate well, and exercise inside on a treadmill or at dawn when it’s cooler. Wear a hat if you do go out in the sun and listen to your body. Heatstroke isn’t to be messed with
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    It's very rarely in the 30s here & when it is its usually short lived!
    I'm used to low 20s & the highest I'll usually go out in is 28.

We've tried going earlier in the morning but it's still pushing my limits!
    Looks like it's back to indoor step aerobics with a fan! Lol