Connecting a Step Traker/Active Level???

Options
Been doing this for awhile on and off and have a question. I recently connected a app that tracks my steps so it can add it to MyFitnessPal.

Now what I'm confused on is my Active level. I set it to active because my job so it gives me the right daily calories.

But since I have an app that is tracking cardio (steps at work) do I put my ACTIVE LEVEL down and let the steps dictate my daily intake or do I keep it active and have it also include my steps?

Just confused on this part because I don't want to give myself added calories if I'm not supposed to.

I appreciate the help fam.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,504 Member
    Options
    There seem to be different preferences, depending on personal preference.

Very generally, if you set your MFP activity level close to reality, the adjustments that come over from your activity tracker will tend to be smaller. There may be a slightly higher risk of negative adjustments on less-active days. OTOH, if you like getting a big adjustment from the tracker (some people do), you can set your MFP activity level at "sedentary" and get big adjustments, but they're less likely to be negative adjustments.

Does that make sense? :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And to your concern of added calories, as in extra that shouldn't apply it sounds like - that's not what happens.

For vast majority of trackers - the steps merely is a figure to use as a goal.
    From the steps though comes a distance and from that calories burned, add a BMR and you have total burned for the day.

That figure - TDEE, is used by MFP.

The adjustment is merely a way for MFP to correct itself to that TDEE as the day progresses.

You'll likely have about the same amount daily, and whether the adjustment was small because of high activity level, or was large because of low activity level - you'll be able to make plans for success.
    And merely tweak a little at night to hit goals.
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. I had to lower my activity level because I saw weight gain instead of loss. Just too much calories I was taking in. Going to try this week with one level lower and see how this goes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That won't change the daily goal in the end.

As we've mentioned, it merely effects the size of the adjustment.

For any weight changes if you think it's more meaningful than fluctuating water weight - always do the math.

1 lb of fat change takes about 3500 calories.

So if you gained say 2 lbs in a week - that would imply eating 1000 cal over maintenance each and every day - if you think it was fat and matters.

Most find with that fact that if they were eating at a deficit, they'd have to eat enough to overcome that and a surplus to gain fat - it didn't happen.
    Therefore the weight gain was water weight.

Or you massively logged your food inaccurately. But again - that's about a dishonest level of logging and not likely for someone actually interested in logging for weight loss.