Making Protein Powder drink less sweet

Options
2»

Replies

• MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I suggest mixing either with a strong coffee. I do this sometimes and have considered flipping to a hot protein shake instead of iced & blended shake for the winter. I'm planning on making 1-2 cups coffee then stirring in 1 scoop of protein powder. I have vanilla and chocolate - so we'll see how this goes. Right now I mix mine (body fortress) with triple berry mix (raspberries/blueberries/blackberries) and it takes the sweetness way down (which is why I add 1 packet sweet n low).
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This doesn't help you now, but going forward here is what I buy which may help.

MyProtein Vanilla, pretty lite taste for sweetness. I had to mix with chocolate protein to make it sweeter. There is also unflavored.

Rated spots 1,3 & 9 @ labdoor. Protein Rankings
  • stevemarvell
    stevemarvell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find the Kaged powders too sweet. Take the chocolate one. First, dump a universe of cocoa powder (not hot chocolate) into the tub. I find that if you find a thin, natural yoghurt (like Yeo Valley), add the tartest fruit you can find, like blueberries or cranberries, and spinach and blast that all with some water then it's perfectly drinkable :)
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I loveNo Way powder as I hate overly sweet things and No Way is the perfect level of subtly sweet without knocking your tongue off first thing in the am. Also dairy free which is necessary for me.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I fell into that trap recently. The flavour I bought (different brand to you) is vanilla and almond. It is tooth-janglingly sweet. It also turned my yogurt to liquid (I wanted to add it to Bircher muesli) which was vile. I have discovered that the only way it is tolerable is by mixing half a scoop with some cold water and then adding that to a double espresso. Actually it is not too bad that way and I am happy to use it up. Maybe try that with your cookies and cream version. For the red berry version I guess I would be seeking out redcurrant or tart blackcurrants to blend in and see if that helps. I don't know if you can get sugar free cranberry juice but that might also work.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    If you want your protein drinks less sweet, stop buying sweetened, flavored protein powders. Buy a plain, unflavored powder, and get the flavor from whatever other ingredients you want to add.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder goes a long way in chocolate whey powders.

My personal favorite brand is MyProtein. Other than the rocky road, they don’t make bad flavors.