Motivation to Not Eat Out

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am motivated to have cleaner logging so that keeps me eating my own food most of the time. I will have the occasional week where I will eat out many times but with the exception of a few trusted sources of salad I generally just eat out once a week.

• Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat out? Is is the social aspect? Don't like cooking? Are you really hungry at the end of the work day that you just want to eat and not have to cook?

I personally fall into all 3 of these categories. I despise cooking, and then the eventual clean-up. When I started my weight-loss endeavor, I signed up for a food service (Freshly) that sends me fresh prepared meals that I just need to pop in the microwave. This has really worked for me as there is no clean-up and it doesn't take any time to make so it's just as convenient as grabbing take-out or eating out. I have a few, quick/easy recipes that I use for the remaining days of the week.

I still eat out a couple times a week though because my husband and I enjoy the social aspect of eating out with friends. I will usually check the menu ahead of time to find something that fits within my calorie budget. Pre-planning what I eat really helps me stay on track!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I just eat out usually. I don't cook and am not crazy about eating alone, so I'll take any excuse to eat somewhere other than over my own kitchen sink. I lost 60 pounds and have maintained most of that loss for 3 years now--all eating out 3-5 times a week. Like one of the other posters, I order meals from Freshly for my lunches and home meals. When I either get tired of those or get a better offer, I just go out. As long as I stick to my "restaurant rules", it's not a problem.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been off of MFP for a few months now and I'm ready to come back.

The hardest thing for me is finding the motivation to not eat out for dinner. I'll eat well for the entire day, and then right after work, have the urge to eat out. And it's a little bit harder on the weekends when I'm not working.

What has worked for you to keep you from eating out? I am open to any and all suggestions that have helped you to reach your fitness goals.

I eat out often because it is inexpensive ($3.17) plus I get great coffee and free wifi. When I get home there are the dogs to run and horse poop to scoop so I want to be ready to go to work and not on a full stomach.

The key to eating out is to stick with your plan. I have order the same meal for about 4 years now of fresh ground beef off of the grille with a lot of coffee and creamer.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I love to cook but also love eating out. Eating out gives me ideas to expand my kitchen repertoire sometimes. Other times I love eating out at places where I just can't replicate the food at home in a domestic kitchen. Restaurants that cook over open fires, use wood burning smokers, or wok asian food at extremely high temperature.

I make room for restaurant meals on the weekend by doing an extra big cardio workout beforehand.

Agree with this.

For OP, I understand the impulse when one is tired, etc., and what has worked for me is having ingredients I can cook from at home, making enough for leftovers so there often is something available if it's extra late or I'm extra tired. And, most of all, just making myself do it, and be creative with what I have in the refrigerator. What I found way back when I first started cooking regularly is that the more I did it, the more I found it relaxing and tended to prefer my own cooking for daily meals. And if you aren't tied to recipes and are willing to work with what's on hand and experiment and also to just cook pretty simply much of the time, it feels easy and is fast. I usually think about what I am going to make earlier in the day so that I get excited about it and am craving it on the way home. I do plan ahead as to the protein I will use, so it's in the refrigerator and ready for me.

I sometimes read cookbooks or cooking websites for ideas, and that helps me be excited or inspired to cook too, although I rarely follow recipes because it's tedious IMO.

That said, unlike some others I'm not anti restaurants at all, and there are tons of excellent restaurants (from the somewhat higher end with great chefs, to many focused on local, in-season cuisine, to many specializing in a wide variety of cuisines) in my city, from which I get ideas or try things I haven't had before or eat a style or cuisine I'm not skilled with, etc. I really like trying new restaurants or going back to old favorites, but indeed it is expensive so it's more part of my social life, something we do once a week (occasionally twice) before a play or the symphony or the like. I tend to use the cals from my weekend long run or else just eat super light the rest of the day so as to fit it in.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find motivation to NOT do something. Might be easier to find motivation to DO something instead. Lots of good ideas about food prep above. Start with a commitment to eat at home for one day. Build from there.
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Transfer the money you would have spent to a savings account, then at the end of the month buy something to treat yourself - new outfit, mani/pedi, new book, whatever floats your boat.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is easy.

$$$
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've usually planned my dinner out ahead, and I'm looking forward to eating it when I get home.

I'm cheap, and restaurants are costly by the time you add on a decent tip. And with fast food, I find I often don't feel very well afterwards. What I will do if the mood hits is stop at the grocery store for a pre-made salad instead, bonus points if it's at the expiry date and 30% off. lol
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Options

The hardest thing for me is finding the motivation to not eat out for dinner. I'll eat well for the entire day, and then right after work, have the urge to eat out. And it's a little bit harder on the weekends when I'm not working.

What has worked for you to keep you from eating out? I am open to any and all suggestions that have helped you to reach your fitness goals.

This is probably my biggest struggle, I now do IF where I just don't eat after 6pm. When I get home I just find something to keep me busy until it's time for bed. If I'm out or have company I'll indulge but that's maybe a few times a month, if that.
  • sensdornam
    sensdornam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about why you eat out? If it's abiut the ritual of unwinding after work, maybe you can go to a cafe and grab a pressed juice or lemonade.

Also, the advice I've seen someone give: leave your credit card and money at home... It's GENIUS. I might start doing that as well hahaha
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    For us, it's expensive and very disappointing when we realize we could have made something better at home for less. We have a few regular go to recipes in rotation, but recently bought a multi pot. Hubby has been trying out some new stuff in it, like beef chuck and pork roast, ribs, and chicken. Bonus for me is that I don't have to cook as much!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    $$$$

With a wife and two kids, eating out gets really expensive, really quick. You're pretty much starting at around $30 right out the door.

I also enjoy cooking and I'm pretty good in the kitchen...I can usually make something better at home than I can get out, unless it's a fancier restaurant.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    This can be a struggle for me, too. Single, so never any chance of sharing the cooking responsibility (but also don't need to be sure anyone else gets fed).

My biggest "motivators" and things that help me avoid eating out (but far from a cure all):

-Finding easy, tasty, similar things I can make at home (for example, the other day I was about ready to order Thai delivery when I realized I had some pre-cooked rice in the freezer and all the fixing, including curry mix, to make it at home - far more controlled in the calorie and servings department!).

-Accurately tracking my calories. Most meals out for me mean lots o' calories! If I'm accurately logging, and being honest, that alone will often stop me (pre-logging my "planned" choices has stopped me more than once)!

-Cost. Eating out is expensive, and adds up really fast. Keeping a budget and totaling my spend each month by category revealed just how silly my spending was when I was doing too much eating out.

I probably still eat out way more than I should. I do not enjoy cooking (I enjoy the results, but not the process), I HATE cleaning up after (it's easier now that I have my own kitchen, but I still don't like it), and sometimes I just want a warm, fresh meal without all the effort and mess. Okay, I want that far too often LOL. That, and variety!! Due to my lack of wanting to cook and/or clean up a huge pile of dishes, I end up wanting something different than my usual fair (which starts getting a bit routine) - that part is harder for me, but I'm trying to get better about keeping sauces and such at home that can help me create the variety I desire.
  • sadiebot
    sadiebot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On the weekends when I’m most likely to order takeout, I like looking through cookbooks or Pinterest for something healthy and super flavorful (using things like seasonal produce) and prepare a meal as something special, and plate it nicely like a treat. It makes it feel more like an indulgence. Basically, I pretend I’m the Barefoot Contessa.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Almost any time I eat out I have a salty food induced scaled spike to deal with and while I know it's not true gain it's something I can do without. Also eating within cals while eating out involves more compromise than usual trying to balance sensible with satiation for me. I just don't get enough calories a day, even in maintenance, to be able to order whatever I want off the average menu without starving the rest of the day and working out extra, which I'm not willing to do.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I don't like to eat out for several reasons. I think having delicious food at home helps, especially fast quick foods, like even frozen meals.

I was addicted to Amy's Green Curry bag...2 servings, 10 minutes. Also the Chinese frozen food from Trader Joe's, I think it's better than takeout, cheaper and a lot lower calorie!

Trader Joe's frozen lava cakes for dessert, OMG the stuff is to die for, perfect size servings.

I also add things to frozen foods. Like frozen Mexican food... Topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, olives, avocados, cilantro, lettuce or greens, sour cream, salsa, etc.

Quick delicious foods, I prefer over takeout or eating out!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

Looks like I'm going against the grain here - but I did nothing to curb my motivation to eat out.

I like eating out and do so about as much now as before losing weight.

I dont mind cooking (or being cooked for) and time and money and enjoying being home mean I dont eat out all the time - but neither did I before losing weight.

I just think a bit more about my choices, both the eating out food and the at home or taken to work in my lunchbox food

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've eaten out TWICE since I started wlj last April. I found a passion for cooking a few years back. Plus it is healthier and much cheaper. I know I am probably not the norm, but in order for me to focus on my goals, I have basically hunkered down in my house until I lose this 100 lbs. I've lost 68 so far. I'm single, no kids so it's easier for me to focus.