Overeaters Anon?

Options
I went to an overeaters anon meeting this past weekend and I do appreciate the 12-step approach. However, I am thinking that if you really follow this approach then you shouldn't be counting calories. If I don't keep my food diary I will not lose the weight that is unhealthy for me. Any OA folks out there?:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• halizabeth
    halizabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    until you are recovered you need to follow a food plan that is within the caloric limits for losing weight. A health professional can guide anyone with this and the program offers "suggested" plans to get started.
    eventually after someone believes they are truly an OA'er they can work with others on how to keep their foods in place the rest of their life. Some members do not need to count calories or weigh & measure, some do for the rest of their life. Up to each person to figure that part out. The program focuses on your thinking and once that changes you should not have to eat over anything happy, sad, angry, bored, lonely ect.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I had thought about going to OA. I chose mfp instead. It's worked for me. I didn't know that OA had a 12 step program. Things have been going well for me here so I'm glad I chose mfp.

Do you feel like you need to do one or the other?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I had thought about going to OA. I chose mfp instead. It's worked for me. I didn't know that OA had a 12 step program. Things have been going well for me here so I'm glad I chose mfp.

Do you feel like you need to do one or the other?

OA isn’t a weight loss program. I started OA when I was a healthy weight, but eventually found that an eating disorder treatment program to be a better fit for me.

People who regularly struggle with compulsive, impulsive, emotional binge behaviors will probably need something beyond food logging on mfp to truly and permanently address those issues. Some may not. I thought I was all set after successfully getting to a healthy weight having logged on mfp for a year or two.

I was wrong.