Restrictive Diet on 6 Week Gym Challenge (Low carb/Low fat/No sugar)

Options
dhk100
dhk100 Posts: 13 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Height: 5'2
Sex: Female
Starting Weight at the Gym (Clothed): ~137
Starting BF%age at the Gym (Clothed): 28.2%

I joined a gym last week with my sister (who's much heavier than me) that runs a 6 week challenge. We go to classes 3x a week but the challenge focuses mostly on our diet and restricts...pretty much everything.

As for me, they want me to focus on body fat percentage instead of pounds and the goal is to lose 5% in six weeks. No oils or fats (healthy fats and cheese are out). According to the sample sheet, I'm mainly allowed to have lean protein, non-fat plain Greek yogurt, protein shakes, and veggies--with 1 choice of carbs a day (think 1 apple or 1 cup of rice or some sweet potatoes). No sugar except sweeteners. And I can really only use soy sauce/salt, hot sauce, lemon juice, dry spices, and vinegars for flavor.

Does a low carb/low fat diet do anything to lose more body fat somehow? If I'm not really doing anything special to increase muscle mass, it feels pointless because I would be losing muscle while losing pounds, and then my body fat percentage wouldn't change drastically in those six weeks. I think I'm also taking in more sodium because of this diet because I'm not allowed to use other traditional flavorings from my culture other than soy sauce (this diet is way too Western for me to begin with lol).

What has been most discouraging is that I used the BMI/fat machine at the gym (a black device you hold out straight in front of you with your hands) at the end of the first week and it only registered a change of -0.3%. Maybe I measured myself incorrectly on the weight scale before inputting the data into the device but that doesn't seem like it would change much. Yet apparently there are other older women who have lost 3-5% body fat percentage in several weeks. It all feels wrong just depending on this diet and those three classes a week to help me lose what would be around 1% body fat a week (based on the 5% goal they wanted).

I did lose several pounds since I'm taking in less calories than calories out but I was already doing that before this diet. Should I just do more exercises on the days I don't have class? I have the Insanity program from years ago but that'll be mainly cardio.

Apologies if this all sounded vent-y (though I honestly needed that lol).

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    A low carb low fat diet sounds like a high protein low calorie diet. If this is the case, you’re right to worry about muscle loss. High protein is somewhat protective but has its limits. You didn’t mention a calorie goal. Are you logging your food? If it were me I’d be staying close to the goal that MFP gave me.

I wonder if the creators of this challenge just assumed people would cheat. It seems needlessly extreme.

Eta: I wouldn’t add in more cardio, but definitely yes to strength training.
  • rbsjsikan
    rbsjsikan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A diet without healthy fats is unhealthy and it’s not going to help with the body fat loss. No sugar is great, low carb is fine, but low fat is bad. Your body and brain need fat!

You’re also right you aren’t going to be making any significant gains without adding some weight training. This gym’s plan seems nonsense at best (because anything lost will be gained back the week the challenge is over) and dangerous at worst, since you NEED good fat in your life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I never see the need for banning certain food groups or being so restrictive, and I often wonder who can stick to those kinds of diets.
    Also fats aren't bad. Its calories in > calories out that matters. All the best on losing bf.
  • dhk100
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @goldthistime Yes. I weigh and log everything, ending around 1000 calories, due to feeling a little fuller with all this protein. I am also not active at all these days (other than the 3x classes) so that amount has been sustainable.

@sijomial Yes, it is awful :( I didn't expect it to be this bad going into the challenge. My sister is morbidly obese and I also needed to lose weight after stress binging myself back to an even higher weight than I am now. Everything seemed like it would be okay with the way they sold it and all the success stories and how passionate they were about their job.

@snickerscharlie It does. It's one of those money back if goal reached, and then that money goes into a continued subscription to the gym. I'm not being encouraged by getting the money back though, other than my dad annoyingly joking around that I'll lose $600 every time I mention wanting to eat something that's not in the diet (not that I have) because it sucks. I suppose I more or less wanted a gym program that would help me get more active and lose weight, with eventual toning, and glossed over all the uneasiness I had about this challenge because of how conveniently it was introduced to me. In retrospect, any class orientated gym would have worked. This one just happened to be the one that caught my mom's eye since she heard that a coworker's daughter lost 80+ (?) pounds.

@NovusDies Yep, I want to ragequit but my parents know next to nothing about health and fitness and would chalk it up to my being unmotivated/always giving up early/etc. My dad especially.

Example:
    My sister had eaten more than three meals throughout the day (protein shakes are separate meals) consisting of a lot of veggies and lean protein, and my dad saw this. He literally said "she's not gonna lose weight since she's eating so much." ...

@MikePTY Yeah, I've been getting more comfortable in my clothes since I started dieting again (before the gym). I was fine with seeing a downward trend each time I went on the scale instead of working with a hard number goal. It sucks that I've gotten myself into this mess, as my family would simply assume it's all my fault if I start cheating macros now.

@nutmegoreo I think they're somewhat known. The gym owner is always there but his wife and another coach work with the nutrition aspect. They have raving reviews, continuing members who love the gym and have been getting progress...success stories... Makes me feel like I'm the only one doing something wrong.

I would like to but telling them that would likely mean I give up on the challenge. Which might be better for my health but then I'd have to deal with everyone around me thinking it's all my fault and that the gym is right while I'm wrong.
  • dhk100
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied so far and given information/support. I really appreciate it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    dhk100 wrote: »
    @NovusDies Yep, I want to ragequit but my parents know next to nothing about health and fitness and would chalk it up to my being unmotivated/always giving up early/etc. My dad especially.

Example:
    My sister had eaten more than three meals throughout the day (protein shakes are separate meals) consisting of a lot of veggies and lean protein, and my dad saw this. He literally said "she's not gonna lose weight since she's eating so much." ...

I am sorry but that is a terrible reason to keep doing something you don't want to be doing. I assume you are at an adult age because you are posting here so you have to do you. If your parents have some gaps in their nutritional/calorie knowledge then you have to ignore the comments.

Your body requires energy to be function and move. If you supply less food energy (calories) then it needs it absolutely must use stored energy (usually fat stores) to meet the energy demand or you die. So if you are in calorie deficit after eating pizza as your only source of food for the day you will use stored energy to make up the difference.
  • dhk100
    Options
    @nutmegoreo Thanks. I'll make a few changes starting today and do that.

@NovusDies Yeah, I know. I'm just tired of adding onto their disappointments or having them think things like "ofc she couldn't do it again this time." I'll make some healthy adjustments though. Thank you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 53 and still trying to recover from the food myths my mother and aunt inflicted on me.

For example, I've preferred white rice over brown for some time now and used to feel guilty about it until someone from these forums posted the link to https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

In your parents case, perhaps providing the calories of your sister's meals and this article would be helpful: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    dhk100 wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo Thanks. I'll make a few changes starting today and do that.

@NovusDies Yeah, I know. I'm just tired of adding onto their disappointments or having them think things like "ofc she couldn't do it again this time." I'll make some healthy adjustments though. Thank you.

Parents are not perfect and sometimes they have their own issues that spills out on their kids. My father was impossible to please because his parents were impossible to please.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    A low carb low fat diet sounds like a high protein low calorie diet. If this is the case, you’re right to worry about muscle loss. High protein is somewhat protective but has its limits. You didn’t mention a calorie goal. Are you logging your food? If it were me I’d be staying close to the goal that MFP gave me.

I wonder if the creators of this challenge just assumed people would cheat. It seems needlessly extreme.

Eta: I wouldn’t add in more cardio, but definitely yes to strength training.

What I bolded.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hey, this MFP bloggie thing today is right up your alley on what I think you need to hear right now: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-one-size-fits-all-diets-dont-always-work/