Here we go again...

My boyfriend used to tell me “You have to work at being fat” he wouldn’t say it in a hateful way, he likes curvy women and loves me for me. In reality that statement couldn’t be more true...

When I am eating healthy the weight starts coming off, if I start being more active its even faster. Within the first few days of eating healthy I feel more energized and even feel a boost in my mental health!

So why do I keep having to start over again and again!

I struggle with bipolar and anxiety. I have used food as my comfort and joy for my whole life. I keep getting down to right around 200 and then sabotage myself and gain weight until I’m up to 250 or so. My max weight was 271 and currently i am 244.

I’m thinking of starting therapy to help with my journey this time. I don’t know why I keep sabotaging myself or what is preventing me from moving forward.

Have any of you sought out therapy and how has it helped? Do you have any advice on how to stay motivated through the crazy emotions of life?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Perhaps you're taking your boyfriend's advice to heart and it's making you trip up?

You have to want this for yourself and do it for yourself.
  • Nfedewa9442
    Nfedewa9442 Posts: 30 Member
    Yeah I go to therapy. It’s very helpful, and I’ll echo what LyndaBSS said, want this for yourself and do it for yourself. I have done it for everyone but me, and now that I did it for me it’s easier to keep it off. Make no mistake, it’s tough to work through issues, but worth it. Good luck!
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Hi @rainedays86 - I have utilized therapy to work on my emotional eating and it's been very helpful to understand myself better.

You might find cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing (MI) helpful strategies. CBT focuses on changing our thoughts, feelings and behaviors and seeing how all 3 of those influence one another. MI can help explore and ambiguity we often feel about making changes. Change (even for the better) has positive aspects but can have negative ones too. What will I gain if I make healthy changes, but what will I have to give up? MI is very non-judgemental about the process of change which is why I like it.

I work in the mental health field so I am a big champion of therapy. ;)

Best wishes on your journey!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Therapy is a good idea. They can give you tools to deal with the mental aspect, things other than food you can use to deal with those issues.
  • rainedays86
    rainedays86 Posts: 105 Member
    Keliz1173 wrote: »
    Hi @rainedays86 - I have utilized therapy to work on my emotional eating and it's been very helpful to understand myself better.

You might find cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing (MI) helpful strategies. CBT focuses on changing our thoughts, feelings and behaviors and seeing how all 3 of those influence one another. MI can help explore and ambiguity we often feel about making changes. Change (even for the better) has positive aspects but can have negative ones too. What will I gain if I make healthy changes, but what will I have to give up? MI is very non-judgemental about the process of change which is why I like it.

Keliz1173 wrote: »

• rainedays86
    rainedays86 Posts: 105 Member
    Thank you for suggesting MI, i have never heard of that! I’m familiar with CBT and other therapies. I’m definitely going to check into that.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I don't think it's hard to be fat. In fact with the over abundance of food in the US and 70% of the US population either overweight or obese it's easy. Plus with the adictiveness of food like junk food, fast food it makes it even easier. Plus everyone is so busy in life just trying to live, pay rent/mortgage, kids - health takes a back burner. Therapy is probably a great move. What work for you may not work for someone else. It's different for everyone. Start the journey today.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Definitely add therapy to your weight loss arsenal if you’ve struggled with emotional eating for so long. Best of luck to you!
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Not sure if this is you but as for myself, I love junk food, cookies, ice cream, potato chips, pretzels, candy, etc. I also noticed that when I stop eating junk, I lose weight, am happier, and become more active. So why do I go back to eating junk and have to deal with yo-yo dieting? It’s because junk, salt, and sugar are highly addivtive for some people. For example, I could have a healthy lunch and have a delicious cookie. That one cookie will start me off that I would want to eat more junk for the rest of the day. A normal person or one with more will power, will enjoy the cookie and not even think about eating more junk. The answer for me
    Is not to bring junk into the house. For me out of sight out mind. Scientifically, it’s even proven that sugar is highly addictive.