30DS - SORE - Push it or rest!!??!

Options
Hello all! I am new here and just yesterday did day1 of the 30 Day Shred.... I am SO SORE today and I am wondering if I should rest today or push through and just continue?

I have not excercised alot in the past - so this is new to me. I did a week and a half of walking everyday to start myself off...

Recommendations for me??

Replies

• PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Either take 1 day and go again, or try the 30DS again but don't feel bad if you stop more often or modify the moves down a lot. It DOES get better!! LOL I have a love/hate relationship w/the Shred. I hate doing it, but I love what it does to my body :) Hang in there!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I was sore my first few days of the shred as well. Keep at it. I would do some extra stretching before and after you do the dvd. But if you really need to rest then rest for one day. Good luck with the Shred. I am on day 8 of level 1.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    keep at it, it gets easier each day and most people feel sore for the 1st 3 days or so. I am at day 18, and I was sore the 1st 2 days after I moved to level 2 and probably will be again once I go up to level 3. If you need to take a day off, but I would recommend doing it after at least 4-5days. Then maybe take one day of rest every 5 days or something so you stay on track with it.
  • jctischler
    jctischler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Day two was ACTUALLY a bit easier for me. I guess I knew what to expect. I did what I could do and didn't hurt myself. For me, it was psychological.. I needed to keep going or I would quit completely. I'm now on Level Two (Day 17) and though it doesn't always feel so good & I find myself muttering curses at Jillian, I am REALLY noticing the difference and I can say I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping up with her as much as I do..

Keep up the awesome effort!

-Jeannie:)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was very sore too on days 2 -4 but still continued-it was like once I got goin I didn't notice the soreness. Make sure u stretch when.your done and that will help some! Good luck!
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am not great with exercise either but I started 30DS and had the same problem. You should try and keep going. The pain goes away after the first 3-7 days depending on your body. It hurt so bad at first but I promise it does go away. Just do it at your own pace, it's not a big deal. I still can't do some of the stuff the girls do. Hope this helps, you can do it! Drink lots of water, lots!
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    ditto what cdngirl71 said...take it a little slower next time and stretch stretch stretch. you'll find it gets easier :)
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Resting sore muscles is just as important as working out. The day of rest after an intense strength training workout helps to build and repair muscle. I'd suggest doing some cardio, like your usual walking until the soreness in your muscles goes down a bit.

On Sundays I go to a BodyPump class at Gold's and on Mondays, I'll either take the day off or just do some treadmill or elliptical so I'm still doing something, but giving my chest/arms/back muscles a chance to heal.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you have sharp pains in your joints or it feels like there is a knife stabbing a specific spot in your muscles, then definitely take a day off.

If it's more of an ache/tiredness, but 5 minutes into the workout your pain is worse instead of a better, then stop! Starting up again should loosen you up a bit -- though you may still have tired muscles, the achy-ness should subside a bit once you're warmed up.

Otherwise...you're good to push through it. Have fun and feel the burn! :wink:
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Days 2-4 were murder - I could hardly walk downstairs! But keep going, it gets easier xx
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Definately push on it will get easier, you will actually find part way through that you dont feel as sore as will loosen up with exercise, would also suggest a hot bath with muscle soak in afterwards I find it helps ease everything :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I was really sore the first day, but the second day I realized I was doing the squats WAY wrong, and after I fixed it I wasn't nearly as sore. My disk is scratched right at the end though and keeps freezing up, so I'm waiting for a new copy before I commit to the full 30 days.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks everyone! so many responses in such a short time! I will give it a go today and see what happens!! Day 2 here I come!!!! :bigsmile:
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Either take 1 day and go again, or try the 30DS again but don't feel bad if you stop more often or modify the moves down a lot. It DOES get better!! LOL I have a love/hate relationship w/the Shred. I hate doing it, but I love what it does to my body :) Hang in there!
    Totally agree!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I say push it, but that's just me. If you're sore to the point the it will cause injury however, rest. Listen to your body :)
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did it!! took it easy - but still sweated (if that is proper english) my butt off! Yay ME!!!:happy: