New to Keto - how to increase fat intake

Options
Hi Everyone,

I just started the Keto diet and I'm struggle to get my full amount of fat intake in. I find myself having an extra coffee at the end of day with heavy cream just to hit my goal. Anyone else struggling? If not, can you recommend what I can eat to increase my fat intake? TIA

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, avocado oil, and butter added to whatever you are currently eating would be a good place to start.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Are you struggling to get in fat or calories? What's your protein and carbs % target and are you hitting it? Others have mentioned dialing these in first and letting fat fill out the rest of the calories.

In general, fattier cuts of meat, poultry, fish, and high fat foods.

But we can give you better answers if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    The only thing you need for ketosis is carb restriction. You don't need to get a certain amount or percentage of fat in so please don't force it -- it's counter productive if you're trying to lose weight.

If you're hungry, by all means eat (it doesn't have to be fat) but if you're not hungry that's normal. Your appetite will return. It's common to have low calorie days when you're not hungry and higher calorie days when you are and you'll eat more. It averages out to a healthy amount of calories.

Unless you have an eating disorder it's ok to eat to your appetite. After the first two weeks or so if you're losing too much weight (or not enough) that's when you might need to review and make adjustments. Best wishes.
  • rbsjsikan
    rbsjsikan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to hit a fat goal for keto. You should be eating fat for satiety and no more.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've been at Keto for a few months. It's usually calories, it's a common problem. It's easiest to fill in calories with oils.

This is a common discussion in the groups The Low Carber Daily Forum group and The Keto group. I recommend joining groups if trying keto.

I had to flip my meals. Between my morning coffee and my first meal, I usually get more than 1000 calories. Then for dinner and snacks consume 400-600 in the evening/night.

I add olive oil and/or coconut oil to everything I cook.

My first meal is usually something like this:

2-3 tbsp olive oil (240-360) heated
    1-2 eggs (70-140) mixed with
    2 servings cheese (220)
    Leftover dinner meat (150-300)
    Cooked and then topped with:
    Avocado (230)
    Sour cream (60)
    Black olives, cilantro, tomatoes, greens, onions (60-100).

Coffee half and half or heavy cream, cocoa powder, stevia (120-170).

Dinner usually veggies and meat, cooked in olive oil, or meat and cheese topping a salad of greens and veggies, fatty salad dressing.

Snacks: nuts, peanut butters, fruits, berries, meat and cheese (even deli meats with cream cheese rolls), fat bombs are good in the beginning.

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Are you finding it hard to allow yourself to eat the fat? It is difficult to re-boot ideas about it being good for you!

Adding it to food is usually quite easy. There are so many lovely options (olive oil - butter - cream) and it soon adds up.

Mainly though, this way of eating (whether keto or just LCHF) is about keeping the carbs low. The fats are about keeping you satisfied. If you feel full, then they are doing their job.