Magnesium for tight/stiff muscles

Options
aziz_n1
aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
nzfykzx6zon4.jpeg
Just wanted to say that since starting to take on a daily basis 250mg Magnesium tablet with food, my tight/stiff muscles feel as if they are loosening up. Moving more freely and with less stiffness/discomfort. Wonder how many others are benefitting from Magnesium.

wdndvyi145mv.jpeg
nn5mgewgxyhs.jpeg
0vxivgtiqdr0.jpeg

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I took them briefly when I was having trouble with bad leg and foot cramps (those charley horses, am I right?). They worked really well. I don't need them as much anymore.
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    Glad that they worked for you and that you don’t seem to need them anymore.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Me too, they really helped with leg cramps.
  • livilively
    livilively Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I take the same dosage daily. I'm a housekeeper and after a 6-8 hour shift my body is so stiff. It helps me tremendously!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I used to take magnesium for a while on dr's orders at a much larger dose though. The side effects were so bad, than now I avoid it like the plague :(
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    livilively wrote: »
    I take the same dosage daily. I'm a housekeeper and after a 6-8 hour shift my body is so stiff.

What time of day do you take yours, or does it really matter? At present, I’m taking mine with breakfast.
  • livilively
    livilively Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    livilively wrote: »
    I take the same dosage daily. I'm a housekeeper and after a 6-8 hour shift my body is so stiff.

What time of day do you take yours, or does it really matter? At present, I’m taking mine with breakfast.

I either take it with breakfast or with dinner! I haven't seen a big difference between the two. Hope that helps😊
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info buddy! I'll buy some immediately, I need it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I started taking it to help with foot cramps I was getting pretty frequently. They do seem to help!
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bought a bottle of magnesium this morning from Walmart. 400mg per pill, I took 800mg right before bed. It made a incredible different instantly after I woke up! Usually when I sleep, it's very easy for me to cramp up from simply stretching. I stretched long and hard all types of ways this morning trying to evoke a cramp or Charlie horse, it never happened.

Ive been dealing with what I thought was a foot injury the last week, the bottom of my sole on my right foot was sore every single day all day for the last week. Kinda gave me a limp. Stood up out of bed and the pain was gone!

Took off a lot of tension from my quads I was experiencing from a intense hike a couple days earlier. This is a life changed.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I use magnesium gel to rub in. I have a problem with my left quad and my shoulders.Using a massage ball and the gel really makes a difference.
  • MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    GOAT!!!!

jerp8b1r53ks.jpeg
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    Have started to up the dosage. I have a 250mg tablet with breakfast and now dinner too. The improvement is happening but slowly. My leg muscles are slowly loosening up, allowing a greater range of flex when I stretch. Played squash last night and there was a freedom in my movement that has been missing for some time. Will look out for the magnesium oil today when I pop out to the shops.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I take 400mg before bed on the days I worked out hard. It helps with cramps for sure.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I used to get absolutely awful cramps at night time (mostly). Couple of months ago i switched to a different calcium supplement, it has magnesium, zink, some other minerals. It has only 40mg of magnesium in one pill, and i take only one, daily, with breakfast. I haven't had any more cramps since.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I take it, but to help with sleep, not cramps. If you have trouble sleeping, try it about an hour before bedtime.
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    Got Magnesium oil and gel from H&B yesterday.😊 Also, noticed they sell large bags of Magnesium Flakes (salt) to use when having a soak in the bath. 😊Wondering if this is better than the famous Epsom Salts?🤔
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Years ago my doctor told me to take Magnesium. She said as a runner I need it.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    Got Magnesium oil and gel from H&B yesterday.😊 Also, noticed they sell large bags of Magnesium Flakes (salt) to use when having a soak in the bath. 😊Wondering if this is better than the famous Epsom Salts?🤔

Epsom salts are magnesium salts. The generic Epsom salts found in the "medical" aisle of stores are often significantly cheaper than the fancier packages marketed aa "sports medicine" or "spa bath salts".

When selecting the type of magnesium pill/ powder to ingest make sure you consider the type of magnesium. For example magnesium citrate will have a stronger effect on your gi system/ bowel movements. Not a bad thing for some people but others may not want that side effect. Other forms of magnesium don't have that effect but have other benefits/ side effects.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I use gel for everyday use and pills when I need the “added effects”.