Uncle bens rice

Options
Anyone eat uncle bens rice? I’m a little confused by the calories. For instance, tonight I looked at my uncle bens brown and black bean rice, which states half the bag is 210 calories but the whole bag is 370 calories. How does this add up? When I search it in MyFitnessPal, I only see that if I eat the whole thing, it’s showing it should be 420 calories total. Does anyone know which is correct? Logically it should be 420 calories but I’m not sure how they can legally put 370 on the bag then?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I do, and I know what the issue is. On the back of the pack, it lists a serving as 1 cup (140 grams), and the serving size as "about 2". But there are not actually 2 full servings in a bag of ready rice. A bag is 250 grams, while 2 servings would be 280 grams. So to be precise, there are 1.79 servings per bag. But they don't have to be that specific so they can label it as "about 2". So the 370 calories is the correct answer, since the bag is not actually 2 servings.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    0oe9rmq8op04.png

Is this it? Yes, I think they can say “about” 2 servings, even though it is only a little more than 1 and 5/7 serving.
    Crazy? Yes. But true, I think.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Shady calorie counting, Uncle Ben! :D
  • jmredinger
    jmredinger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I do, and I know what the issue is. On the back of the pack, it lists a serving as 1 cup (140 grams), and the serving size as "about 2". But there are not actually 2 full servings in a bag of ready rice. A bag is 250 grams, while 2 servings would be 280 grams. So to be precise, there are 1.79 servings per bag. But they don't have to be that specific so they can label it as "about 2". So the 370 calories is the correct answer, since the bag is not actually 2 servings.

Thank you thank you thank you! I felt like I was going crazy lol.

• jmredinger
    jmredinger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    0oe9rmq8op04.png

Is this it? Yes, I think they can say “about” 2 servings, even though it is only a little more than 1 and 5/7 serving.
    Crazy? Yes. But true, I think.

Yep that’s it! That makes sense! Thank you so much!!

• roobella
    roobella Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love these pouches
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yep, this is why we tell people you can't trust the number of servings per package and to a lesser extent, the volume listing. They are estimates. The actual measurement used in determining how many calories is the weight in grams. I often find the number of servings per package listed are laughably incorrect.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yep, this is why we tell people you can't trust the number of servings per package and to a lesser extent, the volume listing. They are estimates. The actual measurement used in determining how many calories is the weight in grams. I often find the number of servings per package listed are laughably incorrect.

This.

If I check something a number of times and it matches the label I will trust it for awhile. Not forever though. I always verify things on occasion to make sure.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I was way overestimating calories once because I'd eat a whole steamer bag that did the "about 2" servings and list it as a full two. Turns out it was more like 1.65 servings or something, haha. Now I either weigh the whole amount, or I use the grams amount listed as the net weight on the front of the package. Some brands are more notorious for overfilling, but most are pretty accurate.