Bilateral Wrist Pain

Options
Hey! So I have a weakness in both my wrists, my sister has the same and we both have a few osteophytes or ganglions. I’ve been checked for signs of early arthritis but nothing came of it. I can’t do press-ups because of the weakness which leads to pain of my wrist being bent in that position. I broke my hand two months ago so haven’t trained upper body since until yesterday. During assisted chin ups (with lots of help as my hand is still really weak) I was having really bad popping in both wrists. The pain today is pretty bad and I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what did they do to resolve it?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have weak wrists, but not to that extent. There are yoga exercises to strengthen them. I think they would help a lot if you start slowly and build consistently, but I’m not sure, cause I didn’t. 😕
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Have you been evaluated for tendinitis? I have chronic tendinitis in my right wrist and your description matches what I deal with during flare ups. One of the reasons I never do yoga with regularity is because I can't support much weight on my wrist, even when keeping it straight and certainly not while bent.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative changes in both wrists and my dr just told me to avoid any sport that requires sudden high impact on my wrists like burpees.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,583 Member
    Options
    I have issues with both my wrists, though not to the extent of yours. Mine are along the lines of carpal tunnel and De Quervain's tenosynovitis ("mummy thumb"). My mother has an osteoarthritis diagnosis so I have a feeling that's in my future too. She has tried so many things over the years but had consistently bad issues, mostly with her knees & feet. At some point last year, after suffering for the few years before and taking all the meds the doctors prescribed that provided little to no relief, she was researching supplements and started taking a red krill oil and a multi with glucosamine, chondroitin & turmeric - it has made the world of difference to her joints; she's almost 60 but now moves more like a 50 year old.
    So I thought, instead of taking Voltaren for the inflammation that I know is causing my issues, surely I'm better off taking these natural supplements. I only started them a week or so ago, and it's honestly like I don't have any wrist issues at all! I didn't expect it to work as well as it has, but here I am singing the praises!

I'm not sure if this is relevant for you or not, but I thought it might at least be worth looking into for you. Best of luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For the press-ups, you can keep your wrist straight by using push-up bars, or holding dumbbells in your hands, or doing them on your fists (on a padded surface).

For chin-ups & rows, try using lifting straps for support. Tips on wrapping them are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-Daef9fSQ.

How did you break your hand?
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    I have issues with both my wrists, though not to the extent of yours. Mine are along the lines of carpal tunnel and De Quervain's tenosynovitis ("mummy thumb"). My mother has an osteoarthritis diagnosis so I have a feeling that's in my future too. She has tried so many things over the years but had consistently bad issues, mostly with her knees & feet. At some point last year, after suffering for the few years before and taking all the meds the doctors prescribed that provided little to no relief, she was researching supplements and started taking a red krill oil and a multi with glucosamine, chondroitin & turmeric - it has made the world of difference to her joints; she's almost 60 but now moves more like a 50 year old.
    So I thought, instead of taking Voltaren for the inflammation that I know is causing my issues, surely I'm better off taking these natural supplements. I only started them a week or so ago, and it's honestly like I don't have any wrist issues at all! I didn't expect it to work as well as it has, but here I am singing the praises!

I'm not sure if this is relevant for you or not, but I thought it might at least be worth looking into for you. Best of luck!

May I ask what brand? I tried to google but just got ads, no information.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have weak wrists, but not to that extent. There are yoga exercises to strengthen them. I think they would help a lot if you start slowly and build consistently, but I’m not sure, cause I didn’t. 😕

This is where I was going, I know there is a series of postures in my Hot Yoga class that address wrist issues - I find them uncomfortable and hurty while doing them - but I can also spend more time at the keyboard and on my phone without them hurting so I think it's doing SOMETHING...
  • corinasue1143
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I don’t remember them, or I’d tell you, but there are some EASY, easy ones. A yoga teacher started me on them years ago. The first few were so easy that I used them only as warmups for the next ones. It was a series of 7 or 8 I think, then just start doing regular yoga things.
    One of the first ones is just rub your fingers, one at a time, to warm them up for exercise, one is kind of like prayer hands, then push wrists down, like opposite of prayer hands. Hold each stretch for 3 slow breaths.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    For the press-ups, you can keep your wrist straight by using push-up bars, or holding dumbbells in your hands, or doing them on your fists (on a padded surface).

For chin-ups & rows, try using lifting straps for support. Tips on wrapping them are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-Daef9fSQ.

How did you break your hand?

Thankyou I’ll check them out:)! I fell on the stairs and caught my palm on the lip of the step... I was carrying lots and running and apparently must have caught it in just the right place! Broke my 2nd and 3rd metacarpal🤣🤣
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone this has been really insightful!!!❤️
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Or yoga blocks
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ganglion cyst! I have one on the inside of my right wrist. It can't be drained, because it's too close to major arteries. I've been putting pressure on it to see if the stuff inside will go leak out on it's own. Anyone else have this experience? It's painful.