Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Any suggestions on a good heart rate monitor? Type, average price?

Replies

• surreysocialite
    surreysocialite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I heard that we are not encouraged to promote products. I have one type. However, I think you should look for one that is cheap and easy. Most have chest straps, you cannot avoid it. find one that is a complete component: heart rate and tracks your km/milage. I have to log in my kms after my workout. I think I'll upgrade when mine dies.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it -- nothing wrong with stating what HRM you use :)
    AT times I wish I had spent a little more and gotten the FT40 so I could program V02 max.

I would not skimp and get a cheapie without a chest strap -- if you do that you may as well just guess at the burn.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    polar makes excellent ones, and they come in all price ranges...a basic one will be about 40 to 50 bucks and then they hyave really fancy ones that are upwards of 150....they sale them at sports authority and best buy I think, you should go play with them all and see!!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Most people love Polar...personally I use a Timex Ironman Road trainer about $55 on amazon. I picked that one cause its easier to use and had some other features that I like. People told me (after I bought it) that it over estimates calories burned.....and some of mine do seem high, so I just subtract about 100 cals for every 30mins I work out. This seems to be more accurate for me, until I can but a new one!
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! I LOVE mine! I actually recently lost mine and my heart hurts everytime i see anything about a HRM lol! I think i might break down and just buy another one because It motivates me so much! You can buy them off on Amazon for a lot cheaper than any sports store.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I reccomend the gowearfit by body media. It is not really a HRM but it keeps track of every step you take, every calorie you burn, how long you lay in the bed and out of that time how long you actually sleep. You also put in the foods you eat like here on MFP. I got mine second hand through ebay. A HRM is just for the time you excersise and such, the gowearfit is something that will monitor you all day and night.
  • Nichols4398
    Options
    Polar brand HRM are very versatile and they are the biggest name in the business. Their HRM will work wiith just about every piece of aerobic gear in the gym, automatically. They ae also very accurate.

Timex also makes a very good HRM, but as someone mentioned already, they tend to overestimate calories burned. My Timex will not "sync" with the gym equipment though, so you have to wear the watch.

I have both, my Timex also came with a GPS function for when I am running or biking. Polar also makes one with the same features. I'd recommend you find something that fits your wrist and has the features you want. Both are very good and very reliable.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar brand HRM are very versatile and they are the biggest name in the business. Their HRM will work wiith just about every piece of aerobic gear in the gym, automatically. They ae also very accurate.

Timex also makes a very good HRM, but as someone mentioned already, they tend to overestimate calories burned. My Timex will not "sync" with the gym equipment though, so you have to wear the watch.

I have both, my Timex also came with a GPS function for when I am running or biking. Polar also makes one with the same features. I'd recommend you find something that fits your wrist and has the features you want. Both are very good and very reliable.

Timex HRM's are actually not that good.. considering you can't enter any personal data besides weight and max/lower heart rate. If your a male it would be fine because it gives the calorie burn of a male, but for females thats a bit of an issue.

To OP:
    You want an HRM that has a chest strap and lets you enter all information(age, weight, gender, height).
    Polar is honestly the best brand..FT4 or FT7. Both are easy to use, have a chest strap and let you enter all info. needed for an accurate calorie estimation.