What are the Best Exercises for Weight Loss?

Options
Recently, all I have been doing for weight loss is running 2 miles a day on the treadmill, but I want more variety in my workout. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking?
  • allisonjams
    allisonjams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add strength and resistance training.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has yet said that wt loss starts at the kitchen table or that it's all about CICO but, if you're looking for another type of cardio workout to do in order to burn some cals and improve your fitness, I'd add rowing to the list.

I row 5km daily on my Concept2 rower and it's the only form of cardio that I do regularly.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I’d recommend you try classes if you’re looking for more variety. Orangetheory is just about everywhere- it’s a combination of running, rowing, weightlifting & bodyweight movements. Your heart rate is tracked throughout, and you’re supposed to get a somewhat accurate ‘calories burned’ estimate at the end of each class. It’s a fun workout and accommodating to people of all fitness levels. That, in combination of accurate tracking on mfp should help you meet your weight loss goals.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Whatever you will do consistently is the best!

I mix yoga, biking, hiking, Zumba, hula hooping, swimming and bodyweight exercises.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    HIIT -- you can even do it on the treadmill if that's what you enjoy.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I just clicked in to see who would say fork put-downs and table push-backs first :lol:

You win! Although @sgt1372 did allude to it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I just clicked in to see who would say fork put-downs and table push-backs first :lol:

Bingo, we have a winner! Ding, ding, ding!
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The ones you will do. Seriously.

Some people swear you need variety. And maybe some do. But right now I am perfectly happy with just walking my dogs and putting in a half hour on the elliptical before I clock in. I am sticking with it and I have seen a little weight drop.

It doesn't matter how great an exercise is if you won't or can't do it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% down to calories. So whatever exercise you can do that burns the most calories. You're going to achieve that by going longer, not harder.

For example, it's basically impossible to thru-hike the PCT without losing plenty of weight. Expect that to take about six months.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    running, trail running, walking, hiking, swimming, biking, kayaking.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking?

Concur. Low impact, high-energy. Should include some strength/core/etc also.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has yet said that wt loss starts at the kitchen table or that it's all about CICO but, if you're looking for another type of cardio workout to do in order to burn some cals and improve your fitness, I'd add rowing to the list.

I row 5km daily on my Concept2 rower and it's the only form of cardio that I do regularly.

There's a prevalent cycling-based quote that I like in this regard: "you can't outride your fork."
  • bestrongbefit1
    bestrongbefit1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for weight loss is the one you will stick with. But I would also suggested adding in some resistance /strength training.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can exercise every day and get insanely fit but still be overweight unless you also eat at a calorie deficit. Exercise doesn’t equal weightloss, eating less equals weightloss