Five components of fitness

Options
Cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, and body composition are the five components of fitness. (https://www.verywellfit.com/the-components-of-fitness-4154074) The component that I am the most confident in is body composition because I don't think that I have too much fat on my bones. On the other hand, I am weak in cardiovascular endurance because I cannot run long distances without taking lots of breaks.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V7cuM3VPpo)

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the video (I'm not physically in a location where I can), but why is body composition considered a part of fitness? I could see it being a part of wellness. Also is he saying that one specific type of body composition is a part of fitness?
    On the other hand, I am weak in cardiovascular endurance because I cannot run long distances without taking lots of breaks.
    I can't run long distances without taking lots of breaks either, rowing and cycling however... Cardio does not only equal running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You can be cardiovascular fit and not be able to run long distances. I am cardiovascular fit, but I can't run long distances...I could finish a 5K most likely, but it wouldn't exactly be pretty...on the other hand, I can straight up jam on a 20K time trial ride with my HR around 155 for 40 minutes and have no issues regularly riding 30-50+ miles.

I'm a cycling enthusiast, not a runner...you get good at what you practice and I haven't run in ages...and frankly, even out of boot camp when I was in the best cardiovascular shape of my life, long distance running was not something I was good at. There's a lot more to being a good distance runner than simply cardiovascular fitness. I was a competitive track and field sprinter for much of my young life and extremely fit from a cardiovascular standpoint...couldn't run long distances to save my life...my legs won't do it.