Heart Rate to Calories Burned

Options
I have a Garmin Forerunner 301, but it only shows me my heartrate, not calories burned. I have seen people say here that they use their HRM to calculate calories burned. Can someone tell me how to get to that number?

Thanks!

Toine

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    There is likely a function in the HRM that tells you the calorie burn. Every HRM is different though, so I'd advise to check your owners manual. Mine has an entire "exercise log" function where it tracks calories per workout, daily, and weekly simply by scrolling down to the next menu.
  • catmomof3
    Options
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Forerunner301_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 25 should show you how to track the information.
    :happy:
  • toinel
    toinel Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks. The software does have a calories burned column, but it is never filled in. Could that be because I'm using it while I'm riding on a stationary bike ?
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I read up on your HRM and it says it does track calories burned...

Have you tried changing the sport you are doing? Not sure if that will work, but if you hold the mode button, the change sport screen will come up... still researching for you.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Forerunner301_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 25 should show you how to track the information.
    :happy:

Yep, looks like it's in your "workout history". Press Mode, Select Bike History (or whatever you set it as), highlight By Day & press enter. Scroll through, highlight the one you want, and press enter again. At the top, it should show you how many calories you burned during that workout. Hope this helps. :happy:
  • toinel
    toinel Posts: 28
    Options
    When I go to the history, the calories are set to 0.

T
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    My old Garmin (love my Polar so much more) required me to jump through 10 hoops in order to record and display calories. Perhaps yours requires something similar. According to Google, your Garmin is capable of calories so I suggest you look around for a tutorial on how to set it up.