Weight and mental health đź’Š

Options
Hi, I was pretty well put from the beginning, but when I was 19 I lefty parents home for London to study at the university 🎓 and it wasn't a smart desision at all, I lost 10 years of my life to the stuff I'm not passionate about and ended up eating my feelings gained 20+ kg and struggle every day to keep the kg off. I lost about 65% of the weight I gained but I'm worried that my body will never be the same. I heard that with intense training you may be anle to revece the phisical dammage but thedammage to my selfesteam and mental health might be much harder to reverse. Have anyone experienced the same and recovered mentally? Let me know please 🙏

Replies

• donnadee1984
    donnadee1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Following x
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hi! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺 Best of Luck
  • Michelle_Rox58
    Michelle_Rox58 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I feel like I need help too. I'm just sitting here being lazy and eating my feelings, and I just get depressed about it and continue to comfort myself with food to make those feelings go away. Calorie counting and constantly worrying about every little thing that I eat is just fueling my anxiety and I don't know what to do about this.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Above comment is so true, I've had to distance myself from a toxic mother who has told me I'm fat my entire life, even during youth at size 3-size 5, 5'8"

Now I have the ability to recognize toxic people and ignore their dangers.

It's sad that I find more support on here, than I ever did from family.

And now in real life, try to only allow positive people in my life.

I've had to recover my self esteem and learn to love myself. Separate my self worth from a number on the scale or the size of my pants!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mental health is so important - talking about my own experience.
  • spacedoutmfp
    spacedoutmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think people that struggle with mental health issues are consistently in a state of managing symptoms. Recovery is possible with the right tools!

Eating better, managing stress, identifying triggers, practicing mindfulness, dealing with painful past memories... all of these things factor into developing a healthier tool kit for your future.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I’m a total stress eater I’ve always suffered with it however I find that it works both ways also, if I don’t get my workouts in I’m not good.
    Different scenario but I was involved in a serious bike accident, couldn’t walk for two years and didn’t know if I ever would however I managed to pull myself out of a dark place and that was predominantly through working out, setting achievable goals and as time went on what can I say, well I’m a million miles away from where I was, apart from the stress eating which I do from time to time I’m totally in a different place mentally, I feel better about me, 25kg lighter and the stress eating doesn’t hit as hard because I maintain my workouts.
    I think you need to keep going with it to find out, we’re all individuals with different feelings and different metal states and different motivations, in time we can learn to block out all of that other stuff and when we are able to do that we begin accept ourselves for who we are.
    I was told by the man who put my leg back on physically we have fixed you but the mental side of what you’ve been through can be just as tough a challenge or even harder, over time I managed to work it out because I realised that it was holding me back, you can’t do it in a day or a moment but slowly slowly you CAN get there.
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can recover mentally and it doesn't need to be after losing weight. I actually found it easier to slim down after working on my inner stuff. You can do it!