Apple Watch and steps

Options
My Apple Watch is synced to MFP app because I can see how many steps I have taken but it doesn’t give me any exercise credit in the calorie department. For instance, I have 10,000 steps but 0 calories burned for exercise. Can someone tell me if I need to change a setting somewhere?

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,590 Member
    Options
    I don't think steps converts into calories burned. You'd need to log the activity in your exercise log for it to calculate calories. I guess it doesn't know if those steps were walking, running, jogging, skipping, walking up stairs etc. and these would have different burn rates!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    The last I knew, the sync between Apple Watch (health) and mfp didn’t work quite right and people were using another app as a middleman. Lifesum maybe?

Hopefully someone with a synced Apple Watch will be around soon to confirm.

If that’s not it and the Apple Watch is syncing correctly now (I don’t know-my Apple Watch isn’t synced to mfp)-the other possibility is that you’ve got your activity level set on mfp to active/very active? All synced trackers will only give an adjustment if the number of calories the tracker things you’ve burned (overall-for the entire day-life stuff plus exercise) is more than what mfp thinks you’ll burn for whatever activity level you selected. So if you’ve chosen active/very active on mfp for your activity level, you’ll likely need to do more activity to see an adjustment.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,590 Member
    Options
    I actually stand corrected...MFP yesterday put in an adjustment based on my Apple Watch steps. It just came up under my cardio section in my exercise tracker.

I think that @Duck_Puddle may actually be correct in that it only adjusts your calories if you exceed the minimum that MFP uses in its estimates.

I still deleted yesterday's adjustment and put in the actual activity that I was doing as the calorie burn would be very different and I don't want to adjust my calories for incidental steps!
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use the Pacer app as the middleman between Apple health and MFP. Health is synced with Pacer and then pacer is synced with MFP. I get a calorie adjustment that changes throughout the day that is based off my Apple Watch activity move cals. I’m set to sedentary in MFP and it adjusts based off that. Works pretty good for me. You don’t manually add anything into MFP. It all gets done through the adjustment. The only thing that takes some getting used to is my workouts don’t come through separately. I usually add a note in my exercise log on what I did that day so I know why the adjustment was so high. I’ve been maintaining +/- my 5 pound maintenance range all summer not trying to lose and eating about 75% of my pacer adjustment cals and have been doing fine.
  • Idratherberunning2017
    Options
    If you open MFP app, goto More at the bottom, then to steps. Choose Apple Watch. Give that a try.