Way too many calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• jklmlosesit
    jklmlosesit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay, but your 500 calorie diet likely failed or wasn't sustainable in the long run or you wouldn't be here now. It's easy to eat 1800 calories in a day. That's three 500 calorie meals and a couple snacks. An example 500-calorie lunch? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Greek yogurt, and an apple. A 500-calorie breakfast could be a protein smoothie and waffles. Have a big salad with salmon and a dinner roll for supper. All sorts of options.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How are you measuring portions? Do you use cooking oil, condiments, salad dressing, beverages with calories?

What is your current height and weight, and what is your primary goal?

Usually I follow the measuring system on the nutrition label. I only have to cook for one, so it's no problem to figure out portion sizings.

I do use olive oil, no canola oil, and some low sugar condiments, but usually only if its one that is 50 or less calories per tbsp.

I only drink water and black coffee.

My height is 5'5, and my wait is 187 lbs but Ive been told I look 150lbs, so Id wager a lot of that is muscle. Im really only wanting to start small and lose ten pounds.

To the bolded: This is what we see a lot of times here. A person complains they can't eat more than x number of calories but then they are stuck in a mindset of only eating low calorie food options. If you need to hit 1800 choose higher calorie food options to get you there.

It's difficult. The only time my weight loss was succesful was when i ate 500 calories a day and was miserable (obviously). I'll try to increase calories in there of course, it makes the most sense.

This can't possibly be true though, that's not how the human body works. Please consider weighing out your portions, double check that the entries you are choosing in the database have the correct calories, and do a gut check that you are logging every single thing. There are common logging mistakes that many of us used to make, and if you'd be willing to make your diary public temporarily, we may be able to help you troubleshoot.

But it is true? I was eating 500 a day, drinking more coffee than I care to remember to curb the hunger, and had a job where I was on my feet running around for 8 hours. I lost a lot, and I lost it fast.

Losing weight fast, especially when you only have 10 lbs to lose, is neither desirable nor healthy. Limiting yourself to 500 calories a day on a regular basis is also neither desirable nor healthy.

Get a food scale so you can be sure of how much you're eating, eat the 1800 calories that MFP recommends, and be patient.
  • bretelgeuse
    bretelgeuse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring portions? Do you use cooking oil, condiments, salad dressing, beverages with calories?

Usually I follow the measuring system on the nutrition label. I only have to cook for one, so it's no problem to figure out portion sizings.

I do use olive oil, no canola oil, and some low sugar condiments, but usually only if its one that is 50 or less calories per tbsp.

My height is 5'5, and my wait is 187 lbs but Ive been told I look 150lbs, so Id wager a lot of that is muscle. Im really only wanting to start small and lose ten pounds.

To the bolded: This is what we see a lot of times here. A person complains they can't eat more than x number of calories but then they are stuck in a mindset of only eating low calorie food options. If you need to hit 1800 choose higher calorie food options to get you there.

It's difficult. The only time my weight loss was succesful was when i ate 500 calories a day and was miserable (obviously). I'll try to increase calories in there of course, it makes the most sense.

This can't possibly be true though, that's not how the human body works. Please consider weighing out your portions, double check that the entries you are choosing in the database have the correct calories, and do a gut check that you are logging every single thing. There are common logging mistakes that many of us used to make, and if you'd be willing to make your diary public temporarily, we may be able to help you troubleshoot.

But it is true? I was eating 500 a day, drinking more coffee than I care to remember to curb the hunger, and had a job where I was on my feet running around for 8 hours. I lost a lot, and I lost it fast.

Of course you lost weight if you were really eating 500 calories, you also would've lost hair, muscle, and suffered from malnutrition. You also would've lost on more than 500 calories.

Considering your height and weight, you should easily lose weight on 1200+ calories, unless you have a serious medical condition. Keeping in mind that weight loss isn't linear so some weeks you might not lose weight and some weeks you will.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there, best of luck :smile:

Yeah, absolutely. You didnt seem to believe me is all. I definitely lost muscle and fat and Im not sure about the hair? Mine always sheds pretty easily since it's so fine. I think the mental toll im still recovering from since Im having trouble properly meeting my calorie limit and always struggling with the idea that it's too much.

I have no medical conditions I know of so I hope the weight comes off easily. Im new to tracking the calories on an app like this. I tried for the past month or so to mentally track but I must have been a little to generous to myself because I only gained a couple pounds as a result.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help :)
  • bretelgeuse
    Options

Losing weight fast, especially when you only have 10 lbs to lose, is neither desirable nor healthy. Limiting yourself to 500 calories a day on a regular basis is also neither desirable nor healthy.

Get a food scale so you can be sure of how much you're eating, eat the 1800 calories that MFP recommends, and be patient.

Oh I know. Im not aiming for fast nor am I planning to try 500 calorie days again (this was a few years ago I did it), but I'd like some sign of progress in at least a month. Im just struggling with the mental hurdle of allowing myself to eat 1800 calories.
  • bretelgeuse
    Options
    Okay, but your 500 calorie diet likely failed or wasn't sustainable in the long run or you wouldn't be here now. It's easy to eat 1800 calories in a day. That's three 500 calorie meals and a couple snacks. An example 500-calorie lunch? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Greek yogurt, and an apple. A 500-calorie breakfast could be a protein smoothie and waffles. Have a big salad with salmon and a dinner roll for supper. All sorts of options.

It sounds easy, but when it comes down to it, I struggle to allow myself the food. It feels like too much. This thread has made me realize Ive got a big mental hurdle to overcome with that. Thank you for the meal suggestions there though :) i appreciate you taking the time to help.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Of course you lost weight if you were really eating 500 calories, you also would've lost hair, muscle, and suffered from malnutrition. You also would've lost on more than 500 calories.

Considering your height and weight, you should easily lose weight on 1200+ calories, unless you have a serious medical condition. Keeping in mind that weight loss isn't linear so some weeks you might not lose weight and some weeks you will.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there, best of luck :smile:

Yeah, absolutely. You didnt seem to believe me is all. I definitely lost muscle and fat and Im not sure about the hair? Mine always sheds pretty easily since it's so fine. I think the mental toll im still recovering from since Im having trouble properly meeting my calorie limit and always struggling with the idea that it's too much.

I have no medical conditions I know of so I hope the weight comes off easily. Im new to tracking the calories on an app like this. I tried for the past month or so to mentally track but I must have been a little to generous to myself because I only gained a couple pounds as a result.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help :)

Sorry if my post was confusing!
    It's definitely a learning process. I logged for months when I first started, thinking I was eating next to nothing and no weight loss. Then I started weighing everything out and checking the database entries I was using to the package or the USDA and realized I was actually eating more like 1700+ calories. It was an eye opener! The mental aspects are just as hard. Hang in there!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 187, you'll lose plenty of weight on 1800 cals a day, and unlike 500, youll be able to comfortably sustain it allllll the way to your target weight.

Also,if you weigh 187 at 5'5", you've had no problem eating a robust day's worth of food. Just replace some of the soups and smoothies with subs and full fat omelettes and you'll hit the 1800 in no time!