After workout meal suggestions

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on a dinner meal after a workout. I workout daily at 530pm. I am typically home at about 645pm. I want to keep the meal light but find myself eating something bad instead like Chips, crackers. Any suggestions?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A salad and some protein work for me.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym around 530pm today as well. Got home around around 8pm, showered and had one serving of old fashioned oatmeal w/granola, blueberries and cinnamon. It’s yummy and super filling...for me anyways.

Though I’m on my days off I work nights but maintain the same schedule so this is kind of like my morning. I’ll probably have a snack before midnight but am not usually hungry again until 2am (my afternoon).
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You could do quinoa & steamed veggies with a side of lean protein of your choice. You could do breakfast for dinner and make a burrito. You could also start doing meal preps & prepping for 3 days in advance. I used to do premade oats & burrito bowls for my meal prep. There's lots of meal prep vids on YouTube. I haven't gone grocery shopping yet so there isn't much in my house rn to do any of that 😅
  • aamandaaa04
    aamandaaa04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Follow me I have meals that are low calorie and low carbs
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    We base our meals on protein and veggies. Last night was pork loin cooked with onions, mushrooms and carrots in a multi pot, with broccoli and corn on the cob. Night before that was beef patties with onion, mushroom, peppers and cauliflower mash on the side.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    We base our meals on protein and veggies. Last night was pork loin cooked with onions, mushrooms and carrots in a multi pot, with broccoli and corn on the cob. Night before that was beef patties with onion, mushroom, peppers and cauliflower mash on the side.

I'm coming to your house for dinner.

OP try meal prep to have options in the fridge to simply just heat up. I prep lots of chicken, pork, beef, veggies and rice...all I have to do is dish up and heat!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like cooking after working out so I'd have something ready. That's probably why you are reaching for the chips/crackers - you are hungry, and they are ready.

You could still have these, just add protein and turn it into a meal:
    • Add (already cooked) chicken, beans, salsa, and cheese to tortilla chips
    • Add meat and cheese to crackers

I can eat a ton of chips/crackers and never feel satisfied, but when I pair them with protein I am.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I always eat a big meal or "bad" foods after workout, especially high carb or high protein.

Like if I was going to eat a cupcake, doughnut, lasagna, mac and cheese, chips & a sandwich, a steak & potato.. I would eat things like this after workout. The body burns through foods quicker after a workout to replenish the spent energy (carbs metabolize the fastest).

I cut carbs due to sensitivities and now do high protein, but before catching disease that brought on this sensitivity, high carbs worked best.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dinner is usually some kind of protein, and large veg side, and starch or grain. Both my wife and I hit the weight room tonight...I'm grilling cheeseburgers with a large garden side salad.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

I'm coming to your house for dinner.

OP try meal prep to have options in the fridge to simply just heat up. I prep lots of chicken, pork, beef, veggies and rice...all I have to do is dish up and heat!!

This, too. Multipot meals generally make at least two nights worth of dinners. When I cook ground beef or turkey, I'll do a pound or two at a time. So I made 4 patties and 4 servings of loose meat to freeze for later. I also cooked an onion with mushrooms and Worcestershire, froze in ice cube tray to use later.